Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Video surveilance

Since being hit a couple of time by cars a property near me has erected
video cameras - I guess as a means of collecting evidence if it happens
again. I suspect there is a speed monitor on the same posts. They are on
tall posts and the cameras are clearly trained onto the public road.

I thought that such cameras needed to carry an appropriate notice - or that
they are just not permitted.

I feel inclined to register my concern - but to whom?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2017 17:21, DerbyBorn wrote:
Since being hit a couple of time by cars a property near me has erected
video cameras - I guess as a means of collecting evidence if it happens
again. I suspect there is a speed monitor on the same posts. They are on
tall posts and the cameras are clearly trained onto the public road.

I thought that such cameras needed to carry an appropriate notice - or that
they are just not permitted.

I feel inclined to register my concern - but to whom?

Cameras pointing at bridges etc. to collect evidence about who hits them
are common place. The cameras come without warning signs about the
collection of this evidence.

Even with many speed cameras the signs are only placed anywhere within a
half mile radius and not necessarily close to the camera.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote in
:

On 22/05/2017 17:21, DerbyBorn wrote:
Since being hit a couple of time by cars a property near me has
erected video cameras - I guess as a means of collecting evidence if
it happens again. I suspect there is a speed monitor on the same
posts. They are on tall posts and the cameras are clearly trained
onto the public road.

I thought that such cameras needed to carry an appropriate notice -
or that they are just not permitted.

I feel inclined to register my concern - but to whom?

Cameras pointing at bridges etc. to collect evidence about who hits
them are common place. The cameras come without warning signs about
the collection of this evidence.

Even with many speed cameras the signs are only placed anywhere within
a half mile radius and not necessarily close to the camera.

But can a private (or business) do this?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2017 17:21, DerbyBorn wrote:
Since being hit a couple of time by cars a property near me has erected
video cameras - I guess as a means of collecting evidence if it happens
again. I suspect there is a speed monitor on the same posts. They are on
tall posts and the cameras are clearly trained onto the public road.

I thought that such cameras needed to carry an appropriate notice - or that
they are just not permitted.

I feel inclined to register my concern - but to whom?

Consider your concern registered, to us.

This seems like a very sensible action. What are you concerned about?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2017 17:21, DerbyBorn wrote:
Since being hit a couple of time by cars a property near me has erected
video cameras - I guess as a means of collecting evidence if it happens
again. I suspect there is a speed monitor on the same posts. They are on
tall posts and the cameras are clearly trained onto the public road.

I thought that such cameras needed to carry an appropriate notice - or that
they are just not permitted.

I feel inclined to register my concern - but to whom?

Why are you concerned?

Anyone can put up a cctv camera but they now have to comply with the DPA
which basically means you can't go posting the videos on public sites,
etc. Businesses still have to register under the DPA but not home users.

There is no requirement to put up speed camera signs either.
It used to be that with the safety cameras you had to put up signs and
paint them yellow, but that was so the councils could keep the cash.

The police have always been able to hide cameras, but they don't get any
revenue so they only do it where speeding is causing a problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

DerbyBorn Wrote in message:
Since being hit a couple of time by cars a property near me has erected
video cameras - I guess as a means of collecting evidence if it happens
again. I suspect there is a speed monitor on the same posts. They are on
tall posts and the cameras are clearly trained onto the public road.

I thought that such cameras needed to carry an appropriate notice - or that
they are just not permitted.

I feel inclined to register my concern - but to whom?

You want privacy in a public place?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 May 2017 16:53:58 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

alan_m wrote in
:

On 22/05/2017 17:21, DerbyBorn wrote:
Since being hit a couple of time by cars a property near me has
erected video cameras - I guess as a means of collecting evidence if
it happens again. I suspect there is a speed monitor on the same
posts. They are on tall posts and the cameras are clearly trained onto
the public road.

I thought that such cameras needed to carry an appropriate notice - or
that they are just not permitted.

I feel inclined to register my concern - but to whom?

Cameras pointing at bridges etc. to collect evidence about who hits
them are common place. The cameras come without warning signs about the
collection of this evidence.

Even with many speed cameras the signs are only placed anywhere within
a half mile radius and not necessarily close to the camera.

But can a private (or business) do this?

Yes, they can. Can't remember the details, but have a look at the ICO
site. Ah, here we a

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/cctv/

About halfway down is the bit about collecting images from outside
private property.

I have two cameras trained on the road outside where I (and neighbours)
park our cars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, they can. Can't remember the details, but have a look at the ICO
site. Ah, here we a

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/cctv/

About halfway down is the bit about collecting images from outside
private property.

I have two cameras trained on the road outside where I (and neighbours)
park our cars.

Thanks for the link.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2017 19:01, dennis@home wrote:
On 22/05/2017 17:21, DerbyBorn wrote:
Since being hit a couple of time by cars a property near me has erected
video cameras - I guess as a means of collecting evidence if it happens
again. I suspect there is a speed monitor on the same posts. They are on
tall posts and the cameras are clearly trained onto the public road.

I thought that such cameras needed to carry an appropriate notice - or
that
they are just not permitted.

I feel inclined to register my concern - but to whom?

Why are you concerned?

Anyone can put up a cctv camera but they now have to comply with the DPA
which basically means you can't go posting the videos on public sites,
etc. Businesses still have to register under the DPA but not home users.

You can post a video of someone committing a crime in a public site.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 May 2017 20:16:30 +0100, ARW
wrote:

[...]

You can't get a more public place than the open road so is dashcam
footage in breach of the DPA? Perhaps the horse will sue me.

https://youtu.be/uySsUS6Ya88
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%