Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Screwnails?

Are screwnails still used? What advantage do they have over screws?

--
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants -- Whitney Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 May 2017 15:40:59 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Are screwnails still used? What advantage do they have over screws?

The advantage is you can hammer them in and they won't easily pull out. Cheaper and quicker than screws.

The disadvantage is you can't easily get them out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 May 2017 17:47:34 +0100, harry
wrote:

On Monday, 22 May 2017 15:40:59 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Are screwnails still used? What advantage do they have over screws?

The advantage is you can hammer them in

You can hammer screws in. I know somebody who does that quite
successfully.

Oh, an idiot

and they won't easily pull out. Cheaper

Why would they be cheaper when the only difference is the presence of a
pozidrive head?

That's quite a big difference. Also, they tend to be mild steel, like
(ordinary) nails whereas proper screws are carbon steel and quite a bit
stronger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the SociopathicAttention Whore

On 5/22/2017 6:36 PM, The Peeler wrote:
On Mon, 22 May 2017 18:14:26 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH the attention-starved attention whore's usual sick BULL****

Yes, he's a bit of an idiot, but you are a bigger one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Monday, 22 May 2017 15:40:59 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Are screwnails still used? What advantage do they have over screws?

The advantage is you can hammer them in

You can hammer screws in. I know somebody who does that quite
successfully.

Oh, an idiot

He'd only be an idiot if it failed. They go in fine with a hammer, and they screw back out. Screws are basically screwnails, plus the ability to remove them with a screwdriver.

and they won't easily pull out. Cheaper

Why would they be cheaper when the only difference is the presence of a
pozidrive head?

That's quite a big difference.

Surely they're all made in a mould. Same price once you've made the mould.

Also, they tend to be mild steel, like
(ordinary) nails whereas proper screws are carbon steel and quite a bit
stronger.

So something you bash in with a hammer doesn't need to be so strong?!

Anyway, since screws and nails are a tiny tiny proportion of the cost of building something, there's no point in scrimping on them.

--
The only intuitive user interface is the nipple.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Anyway, since screws and nails are a tiny tiny proportion of the cost
of building something, there's no point in scrimping on them.

Why do you ask a question just so that you can argue with everyone who
replies?

You do realise that it makes you look like a clown?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 May 2017 20:08:17 +0100, Phil L wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Anyway, since screws and nails are a tiny tiny proportion of the cost
of building something, there's no point in scrimping on them.

Why do you ask a question just so that you can argue with everyone who
replies?

You do realise that it makes you look like a clown?

I'm trying to find a point in them. So far no useful point has been provided.

--
A guy says, "I remember the first time I used alcohol as a substitute for women."
"Yeah what happened?" asked the other.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Anyway, since screws and nails are a tiny tiny proportion of the cost
of building something, there's no point in scrimping on them.

Why do you ask a question just so that you can argue with everyone who
replies?

You do realise that it makes you look like a clown?

PHucker
Peter Hucker
Grefreiter Krieger
Uncle Peter
Tough Guy
Mr Macaw
James Wilkinson
James Wilkinson Sword

Unemployable, lives in a hovel with 11 stinking cats, several parrots, no
hot running water, no woman, no friends and no future.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/22/2017 8:08 PM, Phil L wrote:
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Anyway, since screws and nails are a tiny tiny proportion of the cost
of building something, there's no point in scrimping on them.

Why do you ask a question just so that you can argue with everyone who
replies?

You do realise that it makes you look like a clown?

I was looking for a good way to say that

:-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 May 2017 20:59:32 +0100, newshound wrote:

On 5/22/2017 8:08 PM, Phil L wrote:
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Anyway, since screws and nails are a tiny tiny proportion of the cost
of building something, there's no point in scrimping on them.

Why do you ask a question just so that you can argue with everyone who
replies?

You do realise that it makes you look like a clown?

I was looking for a good way to say that

:-)

Then you're as big an idiot as he is. Why are you lot incapable of answering a simple question? I like screws. I hate nails. I wanted answers. Nobody provided.

--
There was a young Chaplain from Kings,
Who talked about God and such things.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Monday, 22 May 2017 15:40:59 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Are screwnails still used? What advantage do they have over screws?

The advantage is you can hammer them in

You can hammer screws in. I know somebody who does that quite
successfully.

Oh, an idiot

He'd only be an idiot if it failed. They go in fine with a hammer, and
they screw back out. Screws are basically screwnails, plus the ability
to remove them with a screwdriver.

and they won't easily pull out. Cheaper

Why would they be cheaper when the only difference is the presence of a
pozidrive head?

That's quite a big difference.

Surely they're all made in a mould. Same price once you've made the mould.

OK, I will bite. What sort of "mould" do you think is used to make these
various types of fastener? The key point in this case is that a
screwnail just needs a crudely made flat head, like a nail. Whereas the
pozidrive needs a very accurately formed socket, so that it is a good
fit with the screwdriver bit.

Also, they tend to be mild steel, like
(ordinary) nails whereas proper screws are carbon steel and quite a bit
stronger.

So something you bash in with a hammer doesn't need to be so strong?!

No, in fact it doesn't. As long as it is hammered fairly accurately, it
is in pure compression. It only has to be stronger than the wood, which
is why you can make nails out of copper.

The torsional stresses on a screw head can be high, especially with an
impact driver. This is why harder materials are used.

Anyway, since screws and nails are a tiny tiny proportion of the cost of
building something, there's no point in scrimping on them.

You've never built anything using Turbo Gold or Spax screws, have you.
Not a negligible part of the materials costs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Anyway, since screws and nails are a tiny tiny proportion of the cost
of building something, there's no point in scrimping on them.

Why do you ask a question just so that you can argue with everyone who
replies?

You do realise that it makes you look like a clown?

I'm trying to find a point in them. So far no useful point has been
provided.

As Harry has already pointed out, they are quicker and cheaper than
screws, and don't pull out as readily as nails in applications where the
joints may see tensile forces.

They were quite popular during the mass estate builds of the 1960's, in
the days before Paslode nail guns. With cordless drivers, they offer no
speed advantage over screws, and the extra convenience of being able to
put fasteners more accurately in more restricted spaces outweighs the
cost advantage of screwnails. Plus the fact that screws are easy to
remove or reposition.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

And both need a helix shape.

Also, they tend to be mild steel, like
(ordinary) nails whereas proper screws are carbon steel and quite a bit
stronger.

So something you bash in with a hammer doesn't need to be so strong?!

No, in fact it doesn't. As long as it is hammered fairly accurately, it
is in pure compression. It only has to be stronger than the wood, which
is why you can make nails out of copper.

The torsional stresses on a screw head can be high, especially with an
impact driver. This is why harder materials are used.

Funny how nails bend easily, yet screws never shear with rotational torque.

Anyway, since screws and nails are a tiny tiny proportion of the cost of
building something, there's no point in scrimping on them.

You've never built anything using Turbo Gold or Spax screws, have you.
Not a negligible part of the materials costs.

I use regular screws, sometimes double helix fast screws, they work fine. You can buy 1000s for the cost of the rest of the materials.

--
Paper clips are the larval stage of coat hangers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Anyway, since screws and nails are a tiny tiny proportion of the cost
of building something, there's no point in scrimping on them.

Why do you ask a question just so that you can argue with everyone who
replies?

You do realise that it makes you look like a clown?

I'm trying to find a point in them. So far no useful point has been
provided.

As Harry has already pointed out, they are quicker and cheaper than
screws, and don't pull out as readily as nails in applications where the
joints may see tensile forces.

Never seen any of them pop out.

They were quite popular during the mass estate builds of the 1960's, in
the days before Paslode nail guns. With cordless drivers, they offer no
speed advantage over screws, and the extra convenience of being able to
put fasteners more accurately in more restricted spaces outweighs the
cost advantage of screwnails. Plus the fact that screws are easy to
remove or reposition.

That's what I hate about nails and screwnails, the inability to dismantle. Once screws and electric drivers were invented, nails should have been stopped.

--
Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest. (Rev. Larry Lorenzoni)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

wrote:

On Monday, 22 May 2017 15:40:59 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Are screwnails still used? What advantage do they have over screws?

The advantage is you can hammer them in

You can hammer screws in. I know somebody who does that quite
successfully.

Oh, an idiot

He'd only be an idiot if it failed. They go in fine with a hammer, and
they screw back out. Screws are basically screwnails, plus the ability to
remove them with a screwdriver.

and they won't easily pull out. Cheaper

Why would they be cheaper when the only difference is the presence of a
pozidrive head?

That's quite a big difference.

Surely they're all made in a mould.

Nope, they are stamped, not moulded.

Same price once you've made the mould.

Nope, its more difficult to have a pozidrive head.

Also, they tend to be mild steel, like
(ordinary) nails whereas proper screws are carbon steel and quite a bit
stronger.

So something you bash in with a hammer doesn't need to be so strong?!

Need to be done differently.

Anyway, since screws and nails are a tiny tiny proportion of the cost of
building something, there's no point in scrimping on them.

Depends on how many of them are used.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Screws can do.

Anyway, since screws and nails are a tiny tiny proportion of the cost of
building something, there's no point in scrimping on them.

You've never built anything using Turbo Gold or Spax screws, have you.
Not a negligible part of the materials costs.

I use regular screws, sometimes double helix fast screws, they work fine.
You can buy 1000s for the cost of the rest of the materials.

Depends on what you are building and where the rest of the materials come
from.

Particularly when using stuff from freecycle etc, the screws can be all you
pay for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Even sillier than you usually manage with fences and pallets etc alone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote
James Wilkinson Sword wrote

Anyway, since screws and nails are a tiny tiny proportion of the cost
of building something, there's no point in scrimping on them.

Why do you ask a question just so that you can argue with everyone who
replies?

That’s what trolls do.

You do realise that it makes you look like a clown?

Everything he does does that, including running around stark naked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo ,
newshound escribió:

You do realise that it makes you look like a clown?

I was looking for a good way to say that

s/clown/****/

just stick the moron in your killfile. Complete waste of time and
effort responding to him.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

On Mon, 22 May 2017 21:12:33 +0100, newshound

wrote:
snip

No, in fact it doesn't. As long as it is hammered fairly accurately, it
is in pure compression. It only has to be stronger than the wood, which
is why you can make nails out of copper.

The torsional stresses on a screw head can be high, especially with an
impact driver. This is why harder materials are used.

Funny how nails bend easily, yet screws never shear with rotational torque.

Have you really never sheared a screw trying to remove it? It happens
to me all the time. I've occasionally even sheared a screw tightening
it, when too lazy to take it out and enlarge the pilot hole. You
probably need a well-fitting screwdriver and a lever to do it, though.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 5/22/2017 6:36 PM, The Peeler wrote:
On Mon, 22 May 2017 18:14:26 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James
Wilkinson"),

FLUSH the attention-starved attention whore's usual sick BULL****

Yes, he's a bit of an idiot, but you are a bigger one.

At least JWS posts may be right or maybe wrong but the posts from the
one with Anencephaly (the peeler) have no redeeming qualities whatever
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Monday, 22 May 2017 15:40:59 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Are screwnails still used? What advantage do they have over screws?

The advantage is you can hammer them in

You can hammer screws in. I know somebody who does that quite
successfully.

Oh, an idiot

Well he was talking about himself ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 May 2017 11:55:37 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artículo ,
newshound escribió:

You do realise that it makes you look like a clown?

I was looking for a good way to say that

s/clown/****/

just stick the moron in your killfile. Complete waste of time and
effort responding to him.

Why can you see my posts if you've killfiled me? Do you need elementary computer lessons?

--
Tower: "Delta 351, you have traffic at 10 o'clock, 6 miles!"
Delta 351: "Give us another hint! We have digital watches!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 May 2017 12:07:04 +0100, Roger Hayter wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

On Mon, 22 May 2017 21:12:33 +0100, newshound

wrote:
snip

No, in fact it doesn't. As long as it is hammered fairly accurately, it
is in pure compression. It only has to be stronger than the wood, which
is why you can make nails out of copper.

The torsional stresses on a screw head can be high, especially with an
impact driver. This is why harder materials are used.

Funny how nails bend easily, yet screws never shear with rotational torque.

Have you really never sheared a screw trying to remove it? It happens
to me all the time. I've occasionally even sheared a screw tightening
it, when too lazy to take it out and enlarge the pilot hole. You
probably need a well-fitting screwdriver and a lever to do it, though.

I've always found the head burrs long before the screw shears.

--
It's strange, isn't it? You stand in the middle of a library and go "Aaaaaaagghhhh!!!!" and everyone just stares at you. But you do the same thing on an aeroplane, and everyone joins in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Monday, 22 May 2017 15:40:59 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Are screwnails still used? What advantage do they have over screws?

The advantage is you can hammer them in

You can hammer screws in. I know somebody who does that quite
successfully.

Oh, an idiot

Well he was talking about himself ;-)

Since when has anyone said "I know somebody" to refer to themselves?

--
Why do tourists go to the top of tall buildings and then put money in telescopes so they can see things on the ground in close-up?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 5/22/2017 8:08 PM, Phil L wrote:
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Anyway, since screws and nails are a tiny tiny proportion of the cost
of building something, there's no point in scrimping on them.

Why do you ask a question just so that you can argue with everyone who
replies?

You do realise that it makes you look like a clown?

I was looking for a good way to say that

:-)

Then you're as big an idiot as he is. Why are you lot incapable of
answering a simple question? I like screws. I hate nails. I wanted
answers. Nobody provided.

Everything you asked has been answered.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 May 2017 12:07:04 +0100, Roger Hayter wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

On Mon, 22 May 2017 21:12:33 +0100, newshound

wrote:
snip

No, in fact it doesn't. As long as it is hammered fairly
accurately, it
is in pure compression. It only has to be stronger than the wood,
which
is why you can make nails out of copper.

The torsional stresses on a screw head can be high, especially with an
impact driver. This is why harder materials are used.

Funny how nails bend easily, yet screws never shear with rotational
torque.

Have you really never sheared a screw trying to remove it? It happens
to me all the time. I've occasionally even sheared a screw tightening
it, when too lazy to take it out and enlarge the pilot hole. You
probably need a well-fitting screwdriver and a lever to do it, though.

I've always found the head burrs long before the screw shears.

Doesn't surprise me that you don't use decent screwdrivers then. There
is also a certain amount of technique involved.

I think this is probably why TMH and the rest of the trade use Spax or
Turbo and equivalents.

I was helping out on a build a few months ago; using an impact driver,
around 1 in 20 Quicksilvers would fail by breaking just below the head.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 5/22/2017 8:08 PM, Phil L wrote:
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Anyway, since screws and nails are a tiny tiny proportion of the cost
of building something, there's no point in scrimping on them.

Why do you ask a question just so that you can argue with everyone who
replies?

You do realise that it makes you look like a clown?

I was looking for a good way to say that

:-)

Then you're as big an idiot as he is. Why are you lot incapable of
answering a simple question? I like screws. I hate nails. I wanted
answers. Nobody provided.

Everything you asked has been answered.

No it hasn't.

--
My schoolmates would make love to anything that moved, but I never saw any reason to limit myself. - Emo Phillips
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 May 2017 17:53:14 +0100, newshound wrote:

On Tue, 23 May 2017 12:07:04 +0100, Roger Hayter wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

On Mon, 22 May 2017 21:12:33 +0100, newshound
wrote:
snip

[...]

It's the screw that burrs not the screwdriver.

I think this is probably why TMH and the rest of the trade use Spax or
Turbo and equivalents.

We should all use torx.

I was helping out on a build a few months ago; using an impact driver,
around 1 in 20 Quicksilvers would fail by breaking just below the head.

Maybe you should buy stronger screws.

--
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire. -- US Air Force training manual.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 23 May 2017 12:07:04 +0100, Roger Hayter wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

On Mon, 22 May 2017 21:12:33 +0100, newshound

wrote:
snip

No, in fact it doesn't. As long as it is hammered fairly accurately,
it
is in pure compression. It only has to be stronger than the wood,
which
is why you can make nails out of copper.

The torsional stresses on a screw head can be high, especially with an
impact driver. This is why harder materials are used.

Funny how nails bend easily, yet screws never shear with rotational
torque.

Have you really never sheared a screw trying to remove it? It happens
to me all the time. I've occasionally even sheared a screw tightening
it, when too lazy to take it out and enlarge the pilot hole. You
probably need a well-fitting screwdriver and a lever to do it, though.

I've always found the head burrs long before the screw shears.

That's because you are too stupid to use the right driver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 May 2017 18:36:24 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 23 May 2017 12:07:04 +0100, Roger Hayter wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

On Mon, 22 May 2017 21:12:33 +0100, newshound
wrote:
snip

No, in fact it doesn't. As long as it is hammered fairly accurately,
it
is in pure compression. It only has to be stronger than the wood,
which
is why you can make nails out of copper.

The torsional stresses on a screw head can be high, especially with an
impact driver. This is why harder materials are used.

Funny how nails bend easily, yet screws never shear with rotational
torque.

Have you really never sheared a screw trying to remove it? It happens
to me all the time. I've occasionally even sheared a screw tightening
it, when too lazy to take it out and enlarge the pilot hole. You
probably need a well-fitting screwdriver and a lever to do it, though.

I've always found the head burrs long before the screw shears.

That's because you are too stupid to use the right driver.

Nope, almost always PZ2.

--
The greatest distance attained for a jet of semen that has ever been recorded is 18'9" (5.71 m) which was achieved with a "substantial" amount of seminal fluid by Horst Schultz.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

On Mon, 22 May 2017 21:12:33 +0100, newshound
wrote:
snip

[...]

Because you don't know how to use it.

I think this is probably why TMH and the rest of the trade use Spax or
Turbo and equivalents.

We should all use torx.

Its not even the best head. In spades price wise.

I was helping out on a build a few months ago; using an impact driver,
around 1 in 20 Quicksilvers would fail by breaking just below the head.

Maybe you should buy stronger screws.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

On Mon, 22 May 2017 21:12:33 +0100, newshound
wrote:
snip

[...]

I wasn't talking about the bit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

On Tue, 23 May 2017 12:07:04 +0100, Roger Hayter wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

On Mon, 22 May 2017 21:12:33 +0100, newshound

wrote:
snip

No, in fact it doesn't. As long as it is hammered fairly accurately, it
is in pure compression. It only has to be stronger than the wood, which
is why you can make nails out of copper.

The torsional stresses on a screw head can be high, especially with an
impact driver. This is why harder materials are used.

Funny how nails bend easily, yet screws never shear with rotational torque.

Have you really never sheared a screw trying to remove it? It happens
to me all the time. I've occasionally even sheared a screw tightening
it, when too lazy to take it out and enlarge the pilot hole. You
probably need a well-fitting screwdriver and a lever to do it, though.

I've always found the head burrs long before the screw shears.

Then you're not careful enough. With a clean head and undamaged
pozidrive screwdriver under adequate pressure with a spanner applied you
can easily shear a 3.5mm screw.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 May 2017 19:42:23 +0100, Roger Hayter wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

On Tue, 23 May 2017 12:07:04 +0100, Roger Hayter wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

On Mon, 22 May 2017 21:12:33 +0100, newshound
wrote:
snip

[...]

A spanner? Have you never heard of an electric driver?

--
How to interpret a Pregnancy Test kit:
Blue means not pregnant.