Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Swapping a Sky LNB from dual to quad

Easy DIY job or not?

My parents have just had a load of work done (by me of course) and they
will need a quad LNB fitting.

Is it as simple as getting the ladders off the van, swapping it and then
looking on the Sky tuning menu for signal strength. Maybe a small tweak
if needed (and that can only be a rotational twist of the LNB as the
dish is already aiming in the right direction) and then you are done, or
am I being too optimistic?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Is it as simple as getting the ladders off the van, swapping it and then
looking on the Sky tuning menu for signal strength. Maybe a small tweak
if needed (and that can only be a rotational twist of the LNB as the
dish is already aiming in the right direction) and then you are done

Should be, can be easier with a satfinder for under a tenner

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SatFinder/391364735812

Saves playing "bernie the bolt" with instructions from somebody in the
lounge relaying information to the person at the foot of the ladder
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2017 19:47, ARW wrote:
Easy DIY job or not?

My parents have just had a load of work done (by me of course) and they
will need a quad LNB fitting.

Is it as simple as getting the ladders off the van, swapping it and then
looking on the Sky tuning menu for signal strength. Maybe a small tweak
if needed (and that can only be a rotational twist of the LNB as the
dish is already aiming in the right direction) and then you are done, or
am I being too optimistic?

I put a dish up just using the built in signal strength meters once.

I have swapped an LNB once without having to realign anything.

If its a proper sky lnb you just set the rotation to the scale on the
side, it should be the same as the existing one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2017 20:04, Andy Burns wrote:

Saves playing "bernie the bolt" with instructions from somebody in the
lounge relaying information to the person at the foot of the ladder

IMHO a phone on speaker in a shirt pocket has made life a *lot* easier
for such jobs (if less entertaining for the neighbours).

And if Adam's parents don't have a pair of DECT phones he should buy
them some: how else is his father meant to call for tea on the maid's
day off?

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2017 21:14, Robin wrote:
On 09/05/2017 20:04, Andy Burns wrote:

Saves playing "bernie the bolt" with instructions from somebody in the
lounge relaying information to the person at the foot of the ladder

IMHO a phone on speaker in a shirt pocket has made life a *lot* easier
for such jobs (if less entertaining for the neighbours).

And if Adam's parents don't have a pair of DECT phones he should buy
them some: how else is his father meant to call for tea on the maid's
day off?

Maids at my parents? Have I missed something?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2017 19:47, ARW wrote:
Easy DIY job or not?

My parents have just had a load of work done (by me of course) and they
will need a quad LNB fitting.

Is it as simple as getting the ladders off the van, swapping it and then
looking on the Sky tuning menu for signal strength. Maybe a small tweak
if needed (and that can only be a rotational twist of the LNB as the
dish is already aiming in the right direction) and then you are done, or
am I being too optimistic?

I think that there are two possible problems:

1) The age of the existing LNB. There are at least two sizes and the
newer ones don't fit the older dishes and vice-versa. You need to
measure up beforehand or obtain one with adapters for both.

2) ISTR, but am less certain on this, that non-Sky LNBs can have a
different "neck" so they end up further forward or back and not properly
at the focal point. Again the right ones can be obtained.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote in message
On 09/05/2017 20:04, Andy Burns wrote:

Saves playing "bernie the bolt" with instructions from somebody in the
lounge relaying information to the person at the foot of the ladder

IMHO a phone on speaker in a shirt pocket has made life a *lot* easier for
such jobs (if less entertaining for the neighbours).

And if Adam's parents don't have a pair of DECT phones he should buy them
some: how else is his father meant to call for tea on the maid's day off?

Using the mobile, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
news
On 09/05/2017 21:14, Robin wrote:
On 09/05/2017 20:04, Andy Burns wrote:

Saves playing "bernie the bolt" with instructions from somebody in the
lounge relaying information to the person at the foot of the ladder

IMHO a phone on speaker in a shirt pocket has made life a *lot* easier
for such jobs (if less entertaining for the neighbours).

And if Adam's parents don't have a pair of DECT phones he should buy
them some: how else is his father meant to call for tea on the maid's
day off?

Maids at my parents? Have I missed something?

Yep, that they should have some so you can **** them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2017 19:47, ARW wrote:
Easy DIY job or not?

My parents have just had a load of work done (by me of course) and they
will need a quad LNB fitting.

Is it as simple as getting the ladders off the van, swapping it and then
looking on the Sky tuning menu for signal strength. Maybe a small tweak
if needed (and that can only be a rotational twist of the LNB as the
dish is already aiming in the right direction) and then you are done, or
am I being too optimistic?

It's a lot easier to replace the dish at the same time. There's very
little cost difference. Reasons are that the LNB bolts might be rusted
up and the fact that LNB holders vary.

If you do decide to use the same dish be aware that the quads are a bit
heavier and the arm will settle a bit lower, so an elevation adjustment
might be needed.

If you change the dish simply look down on the existing one from above
and line up the LNB arm against something on the ground (a bit of wood
or a ruler). Then set the azimuth (left-right) of the new dish so it's
the same. Then adjust the elevation (up down) for the strongest signal.
Then double check the azimuth. Use a Fringe satmeter.

http://cpc.farnell.com/fringe/uhf-signal/signal-finder-uk-tv/dp/AP02834?mckv=sUhPm3bzh_dc|pcrid|72935509697|kword| |match||plid|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-GEN-SHOPPING-FRINGE-Aerial__Satellite_Equipment-AP02834

Or google CPC satellite meter or look on the Fringe website. They're
about £20. They are far better than other makes.

Some LNB have built-in polarisation offset which means that for the
correct offset (twisting of the LNB in the mount) the body of the LNB
will be roughly upright. But some don't. So you really should set the
offset. Unfortunately the only accurate way is to use something that
reads 'signal quality'. You can do it with the receiver's built in
meter though. Wait a while after each adjustment to allow the reading to
stabilise.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 May 2017 19:47:40 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Easy DIY job or not?

Yes, subject to the proviso of different generations of dish using different mounts

My parents have just had a load of work done (by me of course) and they
will need a quad LNB fitting.

Consider an octo when you're up there. Also research whether the new Sky Q system needs different LNB feeds from 'traditional' Sky Plus.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2017 19:47, ARW wrote:
Easy DIY job or not?

My parents have just had a load of work done (by me of course) and they
will need a quad LNB fitting.

Is it as simple as getting the ladders off the van, swapping it and then
looking on the Sky tuning menu for signal strength. Maybe a small tweak
if needed (and that can only be a rotational twist of the LNB as the
dish is already aiming in the right direction) and then you are done, or
am I being too optimistic?

I swapped mine and didn't need to realign anything.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2017 07:39, Bill Wright wrote:
On 09/05/2017 19:47, ARW wrote:
Easy DIY job or not?

My parents have just had a load of work done (by me of course) and they
will need a quad LNB fitting.

Is it as simple as getting the ladders off the van, swapping it and then
looking on the Sky tuning menu for signal strength. Maybe a small tweak
if needed (and that can only be a rotational twist of the LNB as the
dish is already aiming in the right direction) and then you are done, or
am I being too optimistic?

It's a lot easier to replace the dish at the same time. There's very
little cost difference. Reasons are that the LNB bolts might be rusted
up and the fact that LNB holders vary.

If I get details of the LNB holder etc would you be able to tell me what
to buy (assuming I don't want to replace the dish)

If you do decide to use the same dish be aware that the quads are a bit
heavier and the arm will settle a bit lower, so an elevation adjustment
might be needed.

If you change the dish simply look down on the existing one from above
and line up the LNB arm against something on the ground (a bit of wood
or a ruler). Then set the azimuth (left-right) of the new dish so it's
the same. Then adjust the elevation (up down) for the strongest signal.
Then double check the azimuth. Use a Fringe satmeter.

http://cpc.farnell.com/fringe/uhf-signal/signal-finder-uk-tv/dp/AP02834?mckv=sUhPm3bzh_dc|pcrid|72935509697|kword| |match||plid|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-GEN-SHOPPING-FRINGE-Aerial__Satellite_Equipment-AP02834

Cheers, that and you other points are noted.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2017 22:24, Steve Walker wrote:
On 09/05/2017 19:47, ARW wrote:
[...]

Bill said the same thing. I'll have a look at what is up ATM. I am not
in a rush as any extra Sky stuff will not be ordered until closer to
Christmas.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 May 2017 18:34:42 +0100, ARW wrote:

I'll look into the octo you mentioned. That would actually be quite
handy as I have fitted provision for Sky+ in 3 places at their place.

Have you thought about a multiswitch? Bundle of 8 cables from an Octo
LNB is big and messy IMHO. 4 from a Quad or Quattro LNB is not so
bad. Also less connections out in the weather.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2017 18:40, ARW wrote:

If I get details of the LNB holder etc would you be able to tell me what
to buy (assuming I don't want to replace the dish)

It isn't easy!

Bill

Q8+ TV quad SIM cellphone password Windmill[_5_] Electronics Repair 3 April 27th 14 12:25 PM
Quad LNB Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 5 August 9th 10 06:17 PM
Quad 405 amp, 1982 N Cook Electronics Repair 1 November 27th 07 12:52 PM
quad sander update. Robatoy Woodworking 7 May 28th 07 10:50 PM
Quad 2/Quad II tuner problem Nigel Cook Electronics Repair 1 August 13th 03 10:30 PM