Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A thought as I Hoovered

Why do we scrub the heavy thing back and forth when it has fast revolving
brushes? Surely a single slow pass is just as effective.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Why do we scrub the heavy thing back and forth when it has fast
revolving brushes? Surely a single slow pass is just as effective.

Same as using a hover lawn mower and moving from side to side when just
forward does the same job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/17 18:29, DerbyBorn wrote:
Why do we scrub the heavy thing back and forth when it has fast revolving
brushes? Surely a single slow pass is just as effective.

I was wondering the exact same thing the other day brushing my teeth
with the electric.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2017 19:03, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:
Why do we scrub the heavy thing back and forth when it has fast
revolving brushes? Surely a single slow pass is just as effective.

Same as using a hover lawn mower and moving from side to side when just
forward does the same job.

People like doing things even if pointless. Like flapping Polaroid
photos while they develop.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Why do we scrub the heavy thing back and forth when it has fast
revolving brushes? Surely a single slow pass is just as effective.

Not really as the brushes agitate some of the grit etc out of the pile and
going over it forwards and backwards brings more out.

Why not apply the same logic to painting, just run the brush in one
direction only and see if that does the trick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
DerbyBorn wrote:
Why do we scrub the heavy thing back and forth when it has fast
revolving brushes? Surely a single slow pass is just as effective.

Same as using a hover lawn mower and moving from side to side when just
forward does the same job.

People like doing things even if pointless.

Not convinced its like, its more habit and not thinking about why they do
it.

Like flapping Polaroid photos while they develop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't know I guess its habit. Many machines do not have fast revolving
brushes.
I often have thoughts about muck. where does it all come from?
Not all of it can be shed skin, so one must assume its come from outside
and maybe even outer space.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
Why do we scrub the heavy thing back and forth when it has fast revolving
brushes? Surely a single slow pass is just as effective.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28-Apr-17 6:29 PM, DerbyBorn wrote:
Why do we scrub the heavy thing back and forth when it has fast revolving
brushes? Surely a single slow pass is just as effective.

ISTR some research, years ago, that showed that around seven passes were
required to achieve the best cleaning.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
Why do we scrub the heavy thing back and forth when it has fast
revolving brushes? Surely a single slow pass is just as effective.

You scrub it back and forwards over the same bit of carpet?

Ask your wife about how to Hoover.

--
*Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 17:29:39 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

Why do we scrub the heavy thing back and forth when it has fast revolving
brushes? Surely a single slow pass is just as effective.

Trade mark acknowledged. Other brands of vacuum cleaner are available
:-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

I don't know I guess its habit.

Corse it is.

Many machines do not have fast revolving brushes.

I often have thoughts about muck.

Havent you got anything better to do ?

where does it all come from?

Various places.

Some of it comes off what we have.

Some of it comes in on our feet etc.

Some of its comes from the pets.

Some if it drifts in.

Not all of it can be shed skin,

Duh.

so one must assume its come from outside

Duh.

and maybe even outer space.

Nope. No aliens do either.

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
Why do we scrub the heavy thing back and forth when it has fast revolving
brushes? Surely a single slow pass is just as effective.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote
DerbyBorn wrote

Why do we scrub the heavy thing back and forth when it has fast
revolving brushes? Surely a single slow pass is just as effective.

ISTR some research, years ago, that showed that around
seven passes were required to achieve the best cleaning.

That number must be straight from someone's
arse given the different technologys used.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Scott
writes
wrote:

Why do we scrub the heavy thing back and forth when it has fast revolving
brushes? Surely a single slow pass is just as effective.

Trade mark acknowledged. Other brands of vacuum cleaner are available
:-)

Quite. Known as the Electrolux when I was growing up. The verb is a bit
clumsy.
Morphed into Hoover when I married and remains so despite us using a
Meile and a Dyson.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/17 10:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Scott
writes
wrote:

Why do we scrub the heavy thing back and forth when it has fast
revolving
brushes? Surely a single slow pass is just as effective.

Trade mark acknowledged. Other brands of vacuum cleaner are available
:-)

Quite. Known as the Electrolux when I was growing up. The verb is a bit
clumsy.

Nothing sux like electrolux.

Morphed into Hoover when I married and remains so despite us using a
Meile and a Dyson.

Miele.
Miele.
Miele.
Miele.....

....Miele

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2017 09:48, Brian Gaff wrote:
To get good Polaroid you need a steady even temp that is why they invented
the cold clip that you put them into and put them under your armpit.

That's the old "pull and peel" Polaroids. With the SX-70 type you had
five minutes to wait and flap.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2017 09:46, Brian Gaff wrote:
I don't know I guess its habit. Many machines do not have fast revolving
brushes.
I often have thoughts about muck. where does it all come from?
Not all of it can be shed skin, so one must assume its come from outside
and maybe even outer space.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_dust

I don't think a large proportion of household dust is from outer space,
but some micrometeorites do reach ground level, and are collected.

Here's a podcast about the subject:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08mbjqp

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Rod Speed wrote :
where does it all come from?

Various places.

Some of it comes off what we have.

Some of it comes in on our feet etc.

Some of its comes from the pets.

Most of ours comes from our two border collies and their fur. It takes
several passes in different directions, to lift the hair.

Some if it drifts in.