Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cutting glass

Hello,

I had a couple of cupboards from Ikea that had glass doors. The
cupboards are long gone but I have found the doors during a spring
clean of my garage! They are too big to fit in the wheely bin but cut
in half they might fit. They are just a pane of glass with no metal or
wood or other substance attached. Smaller than 4' x 2'

Is it possible to cut them? I cannot see anything on the glass to say
that it is safety glass but I imagine they would not have sold it with
"normal" glass. Will it just shatter if I attempt to score and snap?
Is it better to take them in one piece to the tip? I was hoping to
avoid a journey but if that's what it takes, I will do it.

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/17 15:07, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I had a couple of cupboards from Ikea that had glass doors. The
cupboards are long gone but I have found the doors during a spring
clean of my garage! They are too big to fit in the wheely bin but cut
in half they might fit. They are just a pane of glass with no metal or
wood or other substance attached. Smaller than 4' x 2'

Is it possible to cut them? I cannot see anything on the glass to say
that it is safety glass but I imagine they would not have sold it with
"normal" glass. Will it just shatter if I attempt to score and snap?
Is it better to take them in one piece to the tip? I was hoping to
avoid a journey but if that's what it takes, I will do it.

Thanks,
Stephen.

gloves goggles and a half brick or club hammer

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 26 April 2017 15:07:23 UTC+1, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I had a couple of cupboards from Ikea that had glass doors. The
cupboards are long gone but I have found the doors during a spring
clean of my garage! They are too big to fit in the wheely bin but cut
in half they might fit. They are just a pane of glass with no metal or
wood or other substance attached. Smaller than 4' x 2'

Is it possible to cut them? I cannot see anything on the glass to say
that it is safety glass but I imagine they would not have sold it with
"normal" glass. Will it just shatter if I attempt to score and snap?
Is it better to take them in one piece to the tip? I was hoping to
avoid a journey but if that's what it takes, I will do it.

Thanks,
Stephen.

Used glass tends to shatter but not always. Ofer them free on freecycle/freegle/facebook etc.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 15:16:50 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

gloves goggles and a half brick or club hammer

That would certainly work! I was wondering if there was a less mess
way of doing it though?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

gloves goggles and a half brick or club hammer

That would certainly work! I was wondering if there was a less mess
way of doing it though?

put them all in a tough bag first?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I got rid of the safety glass from four doors this way.
Dust sheet under them first, then just pour the bits of glass into the
wheely bin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

gloves goggles and a half brick or club hammer

That would certainly work! I was wondering if there was a less mess
way of doing it though?

put them all in a tough bag first?

Beware, assuming it is *not* toughened bits will come through quite
substantial wrapping. DAMHIK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 21:31:55 +0100, newshound
wrote:

Beware, assuming it is *not* toughened bits will come through quite
substantial wrapping. DAMHIK.

Thank you everyone. That has saved me a trip to the tip. I should add,
the doors were tinted, so I could not have recycled them. AFAIK the
tip only has facilities to collect glass bottles and jars so I think
any other glass to big to get through the circular opening in the
bottle banks gets thrown away.

I did put the door inside a black bag to contain the glass. Perhaps
considering your warning, it would be best to put the object inside
two bags: one inside the other if the type of glass is unknown?

It was safety glass, which I thought it would be as it was on a
cupboard but I also thought that safety glass had a mark on it to say
so, or is that just windows and perhaps a more recent thing?

Thanks
Stephen.

Glass cutting Bertie Doe UK diy 8 July 1st 13 10:03 PM
Cutting glass - minimum you can take off? no-one UK diy 30 November 16th 09 06:14 PM
glass cutting Staffbull[_2_] UK diy 13 February 26th 08 12:02 PM
OT - Cutting Glass with Scissors DerbyDad03 Woodworking 8 September 12th 07 11:58 PM
Cutting glass mirror wattie UK diy 7 August 17th 04 05:35 PM