DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Skirting-mounted sockets (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/589035-skirting-mounted-sockets.html)

Kevin April 19th 17 08:55 AM

Skirting-mounted sockets

I have to prepare a relative's property for sale, and anticipate the
absence of any paperwork for wiring may raise some eyebrows. None of
the wiring is older than 1985, bonding looks thorough, and the Consumer
Unit has mcbs and a single RCD protecting all circuits.

But there are 7 sockets mounted with steel back boxes directly on/in the
timber skirting. Are these likely to cause "don't touch it without a
re-wire" reports?

I could just replace some of them with wago connectors or chocolate
blocks behind blanking plates, but, given that I don't really want to do
serious redecorating, what would be your recommendation?

If I try to anticipate buyers' reactions and commission a Condition
Report, what sort of cost would I be looking at? (East Midlands)

--
Kevin

Tim Watts[_3_] April 19th 17 10:30 AM

Skirting-mounted sockets

On 19/04/17 08:55, Kevin wrote:
I have to prepare a relative's property for sale, and anticipate the
absence of any paperwork for wiring may raise some eyebrows. None of
the wiring is older than 1985, bonding looks thorough, and the Consumer
Unit has mcbs and a single RCD protecting all circuits.

But there are 7 sockets mounted with steel back boxes directly on/in the
timber skirting. Are these likely to cause "don't touch it without a
re-wire" reports?

I could just replace some of them with wago connectors or chocolate
blocks behind blanking plates, but, given that I don't really want to do
serious redecorating, what would be your recommendation?

If I try to anticipate buyers' reactions and commission a Condition
Report, what sort of cost would I be looking at? (East Midlands)

Given sockets may be mounted in wooden panelling, the wood itself is not
a concern.

The problem that might be spotted is if the leads from plugs are kinked
by being in close proximity to the floor - and that depends on the
skirting height.

Chris Bartram[_2_] April 19th 17 11:00 AM

Skirting-mounted sockets

On 2017-04-19, Kevin wrote:
I have to prepare a relative's property for sale, and anticipate the
absence of any paperwork for wiring may raise some eyebrows.

Having recently moved house, I wouldn't worry about it, frankly. No-one
so much as asked.

We sold my Mom's house about this time last year: the only requirement
for paperwork was for work done after the date that part P certification
was required, IIRC. We were asked when/if it was rewired (c. 1985).

John Rumm April 19th 17 11:11 AM

Skirting-mounted sockets

On 19/04/2017 08:55, Kevin wrote:

I have to prepare a relative's property for sale, and anticipate the
absence of any paperwork for wiring may raise some eyebrows. None of
the wiring is older than 1985, bonding looks thorough, and the Consumer
Unit has mcbs and a single RCD protecting all circuits.

But there are 7 sockets mounted with steel back boxes directly on/in the
timber skirting. Are these likely to cause "don't touch it without a
re-wire" reports?

I could just replace some of them with wago connectors or chocolate
blocks behind blanking plates, but, given that I don't really want to do
serious redecorating, what would be your recommendation?

Leave them as they are. No one will be that fussed, and then if
questioned (unlikely) you know nothing about the electrics, and can only
advise the new buyer to have their own checks done if they are at all
concerned.

If I try to anticipate buyers' reactions and commission a Condition
Report, what sort of cost would I be looking at? (East Midlands)

Leave it neat and tidy. Slap a coat of emulsion on things if they need
it or look tired. Wipe any gunge off switches and sockets, and replace
any obviously broken fittings. That ought to be enough. If someone comes
back and says it needs a full rewire (usually just as a stick to try
beat the price down), you can either tell em its a buyers market and you
have other offers, or agree a reduction in price depending on the actual
circumstances at the time.

--
Cheers,

John.

Jim April 19th 17 11:17 AM

Skirting-mounted sockets

Kevin Wrote in message:
I have to prepare a relative's property for sale, and anticipate the
absence of any paperwork for wiring may raise some eyebrows. None of
the wiring is older than 1985, bonding looks thorough, and the Consumer
Unit has mcbs and a single RCD protecting all circuits.

But there are 7 sockets mounted with steel back boxes directly on/in the
timber skirting. Are these likely to cause "don't touch it without a
re-wire" reports?

I could just replace some of them with wago connectors or chocolate
blocks behind blanking plates, but, given that I don't really want to do
serious redecorating, what would be your recommendation?

If I try to anticipate buyers' reactions and commission a Condition
Report, what sort of cost would I be looking at? (East Midlands)

Swap the metal boxes for plastic patresses & keep quiet?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Dave Plowman (News) April 19th 17 11:18 AM

Skirting-mounted sockets

In article ,
Kevin wrote:
But there are 7 sockets mounted with steel back boxes directly on/in the
timber skirting. Are these likely to cause "don't touch it without a
re-wire" reports?

Surface mounted anything in a living area would throw up doubts here. Says
a cheap job has been done.

--
*Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Brian Gaff April 19th 17 11:44 AM

Skirting-mounted sockets

How likely is it to flood?
To be honest it sounds more modern than mine and its only my own ones that
are that low down, most are in the walls, but I have no complex circuit
breakers, just the usual button ones of old.

If you are elderly the higher sockets are nice to have of course, but is it
really less safe no matter what the regs say?
People need to make offers on property taking into consideration expected
expenses. If you do all the work and only get a small bit more for it, you
have wasted your time and money.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

[email protected] April 19th 17 11:44 AM

Skirting-mounted sockets

On Wednesday, 19 April 2017 11:11:32 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

+1, it's a non-issue really. Electrics don't need to be redone to the latest regs to sell.

If such things are raised it's purely an empty negotiating tactic, and usually best not taken seriously.

NT

Andrew[_22_] April 19th 17 12:31 PM

Skirting-mounted sockets

On 2017-04-19, Kevin wrote:
I have to prepare a relative's property for sale, and anticipate the
absence of any paperwork for wiring may raise some eyebrows.

Having recently moved house, I wouldn't worry about it, frankly. No-one
so much as asked.

Quite.

If a female is involved in the purchase then she will only care about
the kitchen, bathroom, whether it has a pony paddock, is in
the catchment area for a decent school and has parking for at
least three diesel 4X4's.

If there are snazy downlighters then she won't even consider the
possibility that the original 1 mm wiring might be overloaded or
wrapped around the hottest part of the downlighters.

The only thing that puts off a female buyer is if the property has
a baxi bermuda back boiler, even if it is in perfect condition and
very effective, or if the bathroom is nice and clean but has a pampas
green suite.

If it was anywhere near London then it might as well have gas lighting,
an outside toilet and original DC rubber wiring because there will be a
queue of buyers.

Andrew[_22_] April 19th 17 12:37 PM

Skirting-mounted sockets

In article ,
Kevin wrote:
But there are 7 sockets mounted with steel back boxes directly on/in the
timber skirting. Are these likely to cause "don't touch it without a
re-wire" reports?

Surface mounted anything in a living area would throw up doubts here. Says
a cheap job has been done.

I thought the OP meant the metal back boxes had been sunk into the
skirting board (which is quite possible with 11 inch deep skirting
that has a big gap behind the lower, widest section).

All the fancy brass power sockets in the House of Layabouts are
installed like this.

In this case all I would do is make sure than proper grommets have
been used where the cable enters through the knockout.

Graeme[_7_] April 19th 17 01:13 PM

Skirting-mounted sockets

In message , Huge
writes

No-one so much as mentioned electrics, insulation, Part 'P', plumbing or
anything else that people fret about on here.

Agreed. That sort of thing has never arisen when I have bought or sold
properties, and didn't when we sold my mother's flat a few months ago.
The usual enquiry form, of course, but most of that was 'don't know',
which did not put off the purchaser.
--
Graeme

Dave Plowman (News) April 19th 17 01:40 PM

Skirting-mounted sockets

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
In article ,
Kevin wrote:
But there are 7 sockets mounted with steel back boxes directly on/in
the timber skirting. Are these likely to cause "don't touch it
without a re-wire" reports?

Surface mounted anything in a living area would throw up doubts here.
Says a cheap job has been done.

I thought the OP meant the metal back boxes had been sunk into the
skirting board (which is quite possible with 11 inch deep skirting
that has a big gap behind the lower, widest section).

Difficult to know what he meant. My initial read was he was concerned they
weren't at waist height. Which only idiots would put up with in a living
room.

All the fancy brass power sockets in the House of Layabouts are
installed like this.

No - that was last year. This year it is polished chrome. Or black?

In this case all I would do is make sure than proper grommets have
been used where the cable enters through the knockout.

It makes sense to have the electrics checked before buying any house. But
to do a thorough job will take a deal of time, and mean disturbing
fittings. Not something I'd allow just anyone to do here, if I were
selling.

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman (News) April 19th 17 02:51 PM

Skirting-mounted sockets

In article ,
Huge wrote:
My M-I-L's house was in North London, and although recently rewired (I
brow-beat her into having it done), otherwise it was in desperate need
of refurbishment. Although structurally sound, it needed new windows
throughout & external doors, a heating system and insulation installed,
a new kitchen and bathroom, totally redecorating and doubtless much
else. We went to sealed bids and got £20K over the asking price.

A neighbour across the road recently moved out. They had within the last
few years spent over a quarter of a million on a basement conversion - and
said they would only sell if they got their asking price. Just testing the
water, as all they really wanted was to stay in the area, but have a
larger back garden. So I assume they did get their asking price, or more.

New owners haven't moved in yet - about a couple of months. But workmen
have been in all that time. Doing gawd knows what as it was in near
perfect condition, inside and out.

--
*I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions. *

Kevin April 19th 17 04:18 PM

Skirting-mounted sockets

On 19/04/17 08:55, Kevin wrote:
[snip request for advice on electrics in house being sold]

OP he

To confirm the detail: 7 sockets in total are mounted on 6x1 nominal
skirting boards. They each have a standard 25mm or so "metal box" behind
them. These sockets are therefore non-compliant on height, and an easy
target for any inspection.

My concern arose from having just lost a "buyer". Details are unclear,
partly because people (especially estate agents) don't always tell the
truth. The "buyer" had commissioned a survey of some sort, and the
surveyor told me he'd found nothing serious but in the absence of an
electrical report, he'd be recommending an inspection. Fast forward to
the "buyer" telling the agent it needed (inter alia) completely
rewiring, and then deciding she didn't want to go ahead at any price.
OK, she'd changed her mind - it happens - but my concern is that she is
almost exactly the type of buyer it will attract. We're trying to get
hold of the survey to see what he actually said, but if I could avoid
recurrence by doing something relatively trivial, it might be worth it.
We are dealing with old ladies, not necessarily rational beings.

--
Kevin

[email protected] April 19th 17 05:08 PM

Skirting-mounted sockets

On Wednesday, 19 April 2017 16:18:25 UTC+1, Kevin wrote:
On 19/04/17 08:55, Kevin wrote:
[snip request for advice on electrics in house being sold]

OP he

To confirm the detail: 7 sockets in total are mounted on 6x1 nominal
skirting boards. They each have a standard 25mm or so "metal box" behind
them.

you don't say whether these are surface mount boxes or flush ones, and whether they're surface mounted or flush.

These sockets are therefore non-compliant on height, and an easy
target for any inspection.

immaterial

My concern arose from having just lost a "buyer". Details are unclear,
partly because people (especially estate agents) don't always tell the
truth. The "buyer" had commissioned a survey of some sort, and the
surveyor told me he'd found nothing serious but in the absence of an
electrical report, he'd be recommending an inspection.

all surveys say that, it's arse covering.

Fast forward to
the "buyer" telling the agent it needed (inter alia) completely
rewiring,

on what basis? It sounds unlikely.

and then deciding she didn't want to go ahead at any price.
OK, she'd changed her mind - it happens -

unlikely to be anything to do with wiring. If it is then they're going to find the same with nearly every house.

but my concern is that she is
almost exactly the type of buyer it will attract. We're trying to get
hold of the survey to see what he actually said, but if I could avoid
recurrence by doing something relatively trivial, it might be worth it.
We are dealing with old ladies, not necessarily rational beings.

If your buyer pulled out they did so for reasons you're not likely to solve by paying for a rewire. And you won't get the cost of it back on the sale price.

NT

Capitol April 19th 17 05:28 PM

Skirting-mounted sockets

Andrew wrote:
If it was anywhere near London then it might as well have gas lighting,
an outside toilet and original DC rubber wiring because there will be a
queue of buyers.

Daughters house in Crouch End sold for 750K some years ago, the CU was
loose in a cupboard adjacent to the fireplace with the worst wiring i've
ever seen. I think it would now sell for 1M and it's totally crap. Sold
in a few weeks IIRC!

Capitol April 19th 17 05:31 PM

Skirting-mounted sockets

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andrew wrote:
In article ,
Kevin wrote:
[...]

I wonder if metal boxes were used for protection? A lot of plastic
patress boxes are very brittle.

Dave Plowman (News) April 19th 17 05:47 PM

Skirting-mounted sockets

In article ,
Kevin wrote:
To confirm the detail: 7 sockets in total are mounted on 6x1 nominal
skirting boards. They each have a standard 25mm or so "metal box" behind
them. These sockets are therefore non-compliant on height, and an easy
target for any inspection.

Ah - it is about height?

There is no law about this - only a recommendation. Are they perfectly
usable as is? Not so close to the floor it puts a strain on the flex when
inserting a plug?

--
*And the cardiologist' s diet: - If it tastes good spit it out.

Kevin April 19th 17 08:41 PM

Skirting-mounted sockets

On 19/04/17 08:55, Kevin wrote:
[snip request for advice on electrics in house being sold]

OP he

To confirm the detail: 7 sockets in total are mounted on 6x1 nominal
skirting boards. They each have a standard 25mm or so "metal box" behind
them.

you don't say whether these are surface mount boxes or flush ones, and whether they're surface mounted or flush.

BS4662 metal back boxes, mounted such that the sockets appear to be
flush-mounted, just as one would on a plastered wall.

These sockets are therefore non-compliant on height, and an easy
target for any inspection.

immaterial

According to my OSG (OK, 16th ed) Building Regs have an accessibility
requirement which mounting at a suitable height can satisfy.

My concern arose from having just lost a "buyer". Details are unclear,
partly because people (especially estate agents) don't always tell the
truth. The "buyer" had commissioned a survey of some sort, and the
surveyor told me he'd found nothing serious but in the absence of an
electrical report, he'd be recommending an inspection.

all surveys say that, it's arse covering.

I expect it was, but it frightens some buyers, especially old ladies who
haven't bought a house in 50 years (and whose husband sorted it all out
back then)

Fast forward to
the "buyer" telling the agent it needed (inter alia) completely
rewiring,

on what basis? It sounds unlikely.

No logical basis, afaik. She's probably the local equivalent of the
Thurber character.

and then deciding she didn't want to go ahead at any price.
OK, she'd changed her mind - it happens -

unlikely to be anything to do with wiring. If it is then they're going to find the same with nearly every house.

One factor of many perhaps? Or of none?

but my concern is that she is
almost exactly the type of buyer it will attract. We're trying to get
hold of the survey to see what he actually said, but if I could avoid
recurrence by doing something relatively trivial, it might be worth it.
We are dealing with old ladies, not necessarily rational beings.

If your buyer pulled out they did so for reasons you're not likely to solve by paying for a rewire. And you won't get the cost of it back on the sale price.

No question of major expenditure like that - it's whether a few quid on
blanking plates and wago connectors would be a sensible investment.

--
Kevin

ARW[_2_] April 19th 17 09:12 PM

Skirting-mounted sockets

In article ,
Kevin wrote:
To confirm the detail: 7 sockets in total are mounted on 6x1 nominal
skirting boards. They each have a standard 25mm or so "metal box" behind
them. These sockets are therefore non-compliant on height, and an easy
target for any inspection.

Ah - it is about height?

There is no law about this - only a recommendation. Are they perfectly
usable as is? Not so close to the floor it puts a strain on the flex when
inserting a plug?

It would start alarm bells ringing.

Such low sockets would be associated with old electrics.

I have seen many place rewired with sockets (usually replaced like for
like) on the skirting to save on redecoration costs.

Unless there is further investigation or proper paper work the
assumption is that the wiring is old.

--
Adam

charles April 19th 17 09:51 PM

Skirting-mounted sockets

In article , ARW
In article , Kevin
wrote:
To confirm the detail: 7 sockets in total are mounted on 6x1 nominal
skirting boards. They each have a standard 25mm or so "metal box"
behind them. These sockets are therefore non-compliant on height, and
an easy target for any inspection.

Ah - it is about height?

There is no law about this - only a recommendation. Are they perfectly
usable as is? Not so close to the floor it puts a strain on the flex
when inserting a plug?

It would start alarm bells ringing.

Such low sockets would be associated with old electrics.

I have seen many place rewired with sockets (usually replaced like for
like) on the skirting to save on redecoration costs.

In this house, the skirting would have to be replaced since all the sockets
are just above floor level and cut into the skirting. It doesn't make the
wiring old - it isn't, but refitting skirting which would have to be
specially made, since it's Edwardian woul have been a right pain

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

[email protected] April 19th 17 10:34 PM

Skirting-mounted sockets

On 19/04/17 08:55, Kevin wrote:
[snip request for advice on electrics in house being sold]

OP he

To confirm the detail: 7 sockets in total are mounted on 6x1 nominal
skirting boards. They each have a standard 25mm or so "metal box" behind
them.

you don't say whether these are surface mount boxes or flush ones, and whether they're surface mounted or flush.

BS4662 metal back boxes, mounted such that the sockets appear to be
flush-mounted, just as one would on a plastered wall.

sounds good

These sockets are therefore non-compliant on height, and an easy
target for any inspection.

immaterial

According to my OSG (OK, 16th ed) Building Regs have an accessibility
requirement which mounting at a suitable height can satisfy.

immaterial

My concern arose from having just lost a "buyer". Details are unclear,
partly because people (especially estate agents) don't always tell the
truth. The "buyer" had commissioned a survey of some sort, and the
surveyor told me he'd found nothing serious but in the absence of an
electrical report, he'd be recommending an inspection.

all surveys say that, it's arse covering.

I expect it was, but it frightens some buyers, especially old ladies who
haven't bought a house in 50 years (and whose husband sorted it all out
back then)

yup. nothing you can do about that

Fast forward to
the "buyer" telling the agent it needed (inter alia) completely
rewiring,

on what basis? It sounds unlikely.

No logical basis, afaik. She's probably the local equivalent of the
Thurber character.

and then deciding she didn't want to go ahead at any price.
OK, she'd changed her mind - it happens -

unlikely to be anything to do with wiring. If it is then they're going to find the same with nearly every house.

One factor of many perhaps? Or of none?

nearly all houses are the same in this respect

but my concern is that she is
almost exactly the type of buyer it will attract. We're trying to get
hold of the survey to see what he actually said, but if I could avoid
recurrence by doing something relatively trivial, it might be worth it.
We are dealing with old ladies, not necessarily rational beings.

If your buyer pulled out they did so for reasons you're not likely to solve by paying for a rewire. And you won't get the cost of it back on the sale price.

No question of major expenditure like that - it's whether a few quid on
blanking plates and wago connectors would be a sensible investment.

blanking plates wouldn't make the wiring look more modern. You're chasing a red herring.

NT

John Rumm April 20th 17 12:24 AM

Skirting-mounted sockets

On 19/04/2017 16:18, Kevin wrote:
On 19/04/17 08:55, Kevin wrote:
[snip request for advice on electrics in house being sold]

OP he

To confirm the detail: 7 sockets in total are mounted on 6x1 nominal
skirting boards. They each have a standard 25mm or so "metal box" behind
them. These sockets are therefore non-compliant on height, and an easy
target for any inspection.

The height of existing sockets is a non issue and has no bearing on
their electrical safety or if the place needs a rewire. The height
requirement comes from part M of the building regs (accessibility for
disabled users), and only applies to new work, not existing. Also if new
work is done, you can usually get away with it being no worse than
before rather than fully to the current new build spec.

My concern arose from having just lost a "buyer". Details are unclear,
partly because people (especially estate agents) don't always tell the
truth. The "buyer" had commissioned a survey of some sort, and the
surveyor told me he'd found nothing serious but in the absence of an
electrical report, he'd be recommending an inspection. Fast forward to
the "buyer" telling the agent it needed (inter alia) completely
rewiring, and then deciding she didn't want to go ahead at any price.
OK, she'd changed her mind - it happens -

That really is the only point that matters. Once the decision has been
made, any further detail is just an attempt to justify the decision and
save a bit of face.

but my concern is that she is
almost exactly the type of buyer it will attract. We're trying to get
hold of the survey to see what he actually said, but if I could avoid
recurrence by doing something relatively trivial, it might be worth it.
We are dealing with old ladies, not necessarily rational beings.

So long as the sockets are mounted safely - i.e. they are sunken flush
into the skirting with the metal box non visible to the casual observer,
there is no problem (I could understand a surface mounted flush box
would however look ugly and scream "bodge" to any prospective viewer).

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm April 20th 17 12:29 AM

Skirting-mounted sockets

On 19/04/17 08:55, Kevin wrote:
[snip request for advice on electrics in house being sold]

OP he

To confirm the detail: 7 sockets in total are mounted on 6x1 nominal
skirting boards. They each have a standard 25mm or so "metal box" behind
them.

you don't say whether these are surface mount boxes or flush ones, and
whether they're surface mounted or flush.

BS4662 metal back boxes, mounted such that the sockets appear to be
flush-mounted, just as one would on a plastered wall.

That's fine then.

These sockets are therefore non-compliant on height, and an easy
target for any inspection.

immaterial

According to my OSG (OK, 16th ed) Building Regs have an accessibility
requirement which mounting at a suitable height can satisfy.

Does not apply to an existing installation. If you rewired, then you
might place the sockets at the 450mm minimum height. Note that if you
did you are equally likely to put off buyers, who find that sockets
mounted "half way up the wall" rather on the skirting where they expect
that nature and God intended them to be, are butt ugly.

If your buyer pulled out they did so for reasons you're not likely to
solve by paying for a rewire. And you won't get the cost of it back on
the sale price.

No question of major expenditure like that - it's whether a few quid on
blanking plates and wago connectors would be a sensible investment.

That's just going to make a normal looking installation look abnormal.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

Dave Plowman (News) April 20th 17 12:45 AM

Skirting-mounted sockets

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article , ARW
In article , Kevin
wrote:
[...]

I'd certainly never fit sockets on 6" high skirting. They would IMHO be
too close to the floor. My standard height is 10" above the floor to the
bottom of the socket. But the idea of having them at waist height
absolutely stupid - except in perhaps custom built sheltered housing for
the elderly.

If you're going to say all sockets should be easily accessible for those
with limited movement, I'd hope you'd also legislate for handrails on both
sides of stairs, non slip floor coverings everywhere, and handrails inside
showers, etc.

--
*War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Dave Plowman (News) April 20th 17 12:47 AM

Skirting-mounted sockets

In article ,
Kevin wrote:
If your buyer pulled out they did so for reasons you're not likely to
solve by paying for a rewire. And you won't get the cost of it back on
the sale price.

No question of major expenditure like that - it's whether a few quid on
blanking plates and wago connectors would be a sensible investment.

You think having fewer sockets in a room a plus for selling the house?

--
*I was once a millionaire but my mom gave away my baseball cards

RJH[_2_] April 20th 17 04:48 AM

Skirting-mounted sockets

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article , ARW
In article , Kevin
wrote:
[...]

Generally, yes, agreed. Although 10" would be a little too conspicuous
in most of my home - inch above skirting is about right.

But the idea of having them at waist height
absolutely stupid

On redoing a study room I put one in an alcove at about 2', thinking
it'd be easy to access, not too conspicuous, and useful for the intended
desk/computers. It wasn't entirely thought through, but in the event
it's proved very useful. Not just for the planned purpose, but also
occasional pluggage - hoover and such.

I have the mixed fortune of staying in hotels abroad quite a bit - they
often have sockets at waist and bed height. Not the last word in
room-eleagnce, but functional.

- except in perhaps custom built sheltered housing for
the elderly.

Not there - yet ;-)

If you're going to say all sockets should be easily accessible for those
with limited movement, I'd hope you'd also legislate for handrails on both
sides of stairs, non slip floor coverings everywhere, and handrails inside
showers, etc.

I don't think it works quite that way.

--
Cheers, Rob

Rod Speed April 20th 17 05:55 AM

Skirting-mounted sockets

"RJH" wrote in message
In article ,
charles wrote:
In article , ARW
In article , Kevin
wrote:
[...]

So are mine, essentially because they are in the middle of the 8"
block that is one course above the quarry tiles concrete slab floor.

Cept for the dunnys, bathrooms and kitchens of course.

Generally, yes, agreed. Although 10" would be a little too conspicuous in
most of my home

Almost none of mine are visible now and I have loads
of sockets everywhere because I did it all myself.

- inch above skirting is about right.

I don’t have any skirting at all. The quarry tiles were
laid after the walls went onto the concrete slab that
is the entire floor of the whole place and a 6' deep slab
right down half of the 100' sunny long side of the house.

But the idea of having them at waist height absolutely stupid

On redoing a study room I put one in an alcove at about 2', thinking it'd
be easy to access, not too conspicuous, and useful for the intended
desk/computers. It wasn't entirely thought through, but in the event it's
proved very useful. Not just for the planned purpose, but also occasional
pluggage - hoover and such.

All of my fixed stuff like that just has a lead to the nearest
double socket. Really doesn’t matter what height it is, it
might get plugged once every couple of decades.

I have the mixed fortune of staying in hotels abroad quite a bit - they
often have sockets at waist and bed height.

The backpackers I was silly enough to stay in had them mostly
on the skirting and hardly any of them actually worked.

I had to sit in the passage way to charge the phone.

Not the last word in room-eleagnce, but functional.

- except in perhaps custom built sheltered housing for the elderly.

Not there - yet ;-)

Me neither and I don’t plan to ever live in any either.

If you're going to say all sockets should be easily accessible for those
with limited movement, I'd hope you'd also legislate for handrails on
both sides of stairs, non slip floor coverings everywhere, and handrails
inside showers, etc.

I don't think it works quite that way.

Because it doesn’t cost much to mandate the socket
height but costs a lot more for that other stuff.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] April 20th 17 07:50 AM

Skirting-mounted sockets

On 19/04/17 21:12, ARW wrote:
In article ,
Kevin wrote:
To confirm the detail: 7 sockets in total are mounted on 6x1 nominal
skirting boards. They each have a standard 25mm or so "metal box" behind
them. These sockets are therefore non-compliant on height, and an easy
target for any inspection.

Ah - it is about height?

There is no law about this - only a recommendation. Are they perfectly
usable as is? Not so close to the floor it puts a strain on the flex when
inserting a plug?

There is a building regulation. Disability access. So new sockets are
NOT to be installed below IIRC 450mm so that your ageing geriatrics
don.t have to bend down to plug in the chainsaw, but can trip over the
flexes instead.

I had to comply with it back in 2002

It would start alarm bells ringing.

Such low sockets would be associated with old electrics.

I have seen many place rewired with sockets (usually replaced like for
like) on the skirting to save on redecoration costs.

Unless there is further investigation or proper paper work the
assumption is that the wiring is old.

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Kevin April 20th 17 09:52 AM

Skirting-mounted sockets

snip

If you're going to say all sockets should be easily accessible for those
with limited movement, I'd hope you'd also legislate for handrails on both
sides of stairs, non slip floor coverings everywhere, and handrails inside
showers, etc.

I don't think anyone here is saying that 450mm high sockets (hardly
waist-high) are a universally good idea. I certainly don't think they
are, but any feature which enables a surveyor to write "Does not comply
with current standards", no matter whether the standards apply to the
property in question or not, is not what old ladies like to see on surveys.

--
Kevin

John Rumm April 20th 17 11:49 AM

Skirting-mounted sockets

On 20/04/2017 09:52, Kevin wrote:
snip

If you're going to say all sockets should be easily accessible for those
with limited movement, I'd hope you'd also legislate for handrails on
both
sides of stairs, non slip floor coverings everywhere, and handrails
inside
showers, etc.

I don't think anyone here is saying that 450mm high sockets (hardly
waist-high) are a universally good idea. I certainly don't think they
are, but any feature which enables a surveyor to write "Does not comply
with current standards", no matter whether the standards apply to the
property in question or not, is not what old ladies like to see on surveys.

You really are over thinking this ;-)

There are very few properties in the country that do comply with all
modern standards. Building regs are not retrospective, and there is no
requirement (generally) to upgrade a property to meet the current
standards when it was compliant with the appropriate standard in force
when originally installed.

Surveyors reports generally don't comment on how compliant with
standards the electrics are. They are far more likely to make rather
less precise statements like "The wiring appears to be in good order,
though we suggest you seek a report from an electrical specialist if you
require a more comprehensive assessment", or "It was noted that some
locations do not appear to have an adequate number of sockets", or "some
electrical accessories appear to be damaged and should be checked and
replaced by a competent electrician".

Since you suggestion seems to be: Chase in new sockets, extend the wires
to the new locations, and then blank all the old socket positions, ISTM
that all you would achieve to draw more attention to them in the first
place. Not to mention making it look fugly!

However, as was observed earlier, once a mind is made up, any excuse
will do!

--
Cheers,

John.

[email protected] April 20th 17 12:35 PM

Skirting-mounted sockets

On Thursday, 20 April 2017 11:49:59 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

You really are over thinking this ;-)

There are very few properties in the country that do comply with all
modern standards. Building regs are not retrospective, and there is no
requirement (generally) to upgrade a property to meet the current
standards when it was compliant with the appropriate standard in force
when originally installed.

nor for work that was never compliant.

NT

Dave Plowman (News) April 20th 17 02:38 PM

Skirting-mounted sockets

In article ,
RJH wrote:
But the idea of having them at waist height
absolutely stupid

On redoing a study room I put one in an alcove at about 2', thinking
it'd be easy to access, not too conspicuous, and useful for the intended
desk/computers. It wasn't entirely thought through, but in the event
it's proved very useful. Not just for the planned purpose, but also
occasional pluggage - hoover and such.

That's fine in your own house when you've decided on the layout. But
people have their own taste when it comes to how each room will be used -
and where any furniture goes.

--
*Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them *

Dave Plowman (News) April 20th 17 02:40 PM

Skirting-mounted sockets

In article ,
Kevin wrote:
snip

If you're going to say all sockets should be easily accessible for
those with limited movement, I'd hope you'd also legislate for
handrails on both sides of stairs, non slip floor coverings
everywhere, and handrails inside showers, etc.

I don't think anyone here is saying that 450mm high sockets (hardly
waist-high) are a universally good idea. I certainly don't think they
are, but any feature which enables a surveyor to write "Does not comply
with current standards", no matter whether the standards apply to the
property in question or not, is not what old ladies like to see on
surveys.

I doubt any old house complies with current standards.

--
*DON'T SWEAT THE PETTY THINGS AND DON'T PET THE SWEATY THINGS.

ARW[_2_] April 20th 17 06:38 PM

Skirting-mounted sockets

In article ,
Kevin wrote:
snip

If you're going to say all sockets should be easily accessible for
those with limited movement, I'd hope you'd also legislate for
handrails on both sides of stairs, non slip floor coverings
everywhere, and handrails inside showers, etc.

I don't think anyone here is saying that 450mm high sockets (hardly
waist-high) are a universally good idea. I certainly don't think they
are, but any feature which enables a surveyor to write "Does not comply
with current standards", no matter whether the standards apply to the
property in question or not, is not what old ladies like to see on
surveys.

I doubt any old house complies with current standards.

I would be surprised if any of the new builds I work in do (apart from
my electrics of course).

--
Adam

Steve Walker[_5_] April 20th 17 10:44 PM

Skirting-mounted sockets

On 19/04/17 21:12, ARW wrote:
In article ,
Kevin wrote:
To confirm the detail: 7 sockets in total are mounted on 6x1 nominal
skirting boards. They each have a standard 25mm or so "metal box"
behind
them. These sockets are therefore non-compliant on height, and an easy
target for any inspection.

Ah - it is about height?

There is no law about this - only a recommendation. Are they perfectly
usable as is? Not so close to the floor it puts a strain on the flex
when
inserting a plug?

There is a building regulation. Disability access. So new sockets are
NOT to be installed below IIRC 450mm so that your ageing geriatrics
don.t have to bend down to plug in the chainsaw, but can trip over the
flexes instead.

I had to comply with it back in 2002

The height requirement only applies to new builds, full rewires or
"substantial" partial rewires. Any new sockets added to an existing
system with low sockets can also have them low down.

SteveW

charles April 20th 17 11:12 PM

Skirting-mounted sockets

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
RJH wrote:
But the idea of having them at waist height
absolutely stupid

On redoing a study room I put one in an alcove at about 2', thinking
it'd be easy to access, not too conspicuous, and useful for the
intended desk/computers. It wasn't entirely thought through, but in
the event it's proved very useful. Not just for the planned purpose,
but also occasional pluggage - hoover and such.

That's fine in your own house when you've decided on the layout. But
people have their own taste when it comes to how each room will be used -
and where any furniture goes.

when we bought this house the room I am in had a central heating radiator
in the the middle of two walls, a large window ina thrid and a hatch to the
kitchen in the fourth. Nowhere to place any furniture - oh and the power
outlets were set into the walls 2 ft from the corners or door frames!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Andy Burns[_13_] April 21st 17 11:34 AM

Skirting-mounted sockets

Kevin wrote:

These sockets are therefore non-compliant on height

The part M recommendations for the height of sockets and switches only
applies in new builds (or extensions to buildings to which Part M
already applies) so doesn't need fixing.

Andy Burns[_13_] April 21st 17 12:05 PM

Skirting-mounted sockets

Dave Plowman wrote:

It makes sense to have the electrics checked before buying any house.
But to do a thorough job will take a deal of time, and mean
disturbing fittings. Not something I'd allow just anyone to do here,
if I were selling.

Yes, of course your electrician can inspect the wiring ... provided he
uses a spirit level when putting faceplates back, replaces any M3.5
screws where he strips the thread, gets the heads of all screws
precisely aligned, leaves all gangs of two-way switches in the same
orientation and resets any clocks that end up flashing "12:00" :-)

Dave Plowman (News) April 21st 17 01:03 PM

Skirting-mounted sockets

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

It makes sense to have the electrics checked before buying any house.
But to do a thorough job will take a deal of time, and mean
disturbing fittings. Not something I'd allow just anyone to do here,
if I were selling.

Yes, of course your electrician can inspect the wiring ... provided he
uses a spirit level when putting faceplates back, replaces any M3.5
screws where he strips the thread, gets the heads of all screws
precisely aligned, leaves all gangs of two-way switches in the same
orientation and resets any clocks that end up flashing "12:00" :-)

You missed out re-laying floorboards and carpets etc correctly. ;-)