Troy

Default Bath and Basin waste.

Just a quickie :-)

In my bathroom, the 40mm waste pipe from the bath (enclosed on the floor
against a wall) passes the wash basin. The wash basin has it's own 32mm
waste pipe and both pipes run (inside the bathroom - no option) together to
the point of exit to the soil pipe outside. Would there be anything to stop
me simply joining the basin waste to the bath waste pipe by means of a Tee
and thus having only one waste pipe for the remaining run to the exit?

TIA.
--
Regards,

Troy the Black Lab.

Remove spam to email me
simon beer

"Troy" wrote in message
news
Just a quickie :-)

In my bathroom, the 40mm waste pipe from the bath (enclosed on the floor
against a wall) passes the wash basin. The wash basin has it's own 32mm
waste pipe and both pipes run (inside the bathroom - no option) together

the point of exit to the soil pipe outside. Would there be anything to

stop
me simply joining the basin waste to the bath waste pipe by means of a Tee
and thus having only one waste pipe for the remaining run to the exit?

TIA.

no problem, 40mm t with a reducer on the 32mm entry

rob w

"simon beer" wrote in message ...
"Troy" wrote in message
news
Just a quickie :-)

In my bathroom, the 40mm waste pipe from the bath (enclosed on the floor
against a wall) passes the wash basin. The wash basin has it's own 32mm
waste pipe and both pipes run (inside the bathroom - no option) together

the point of exit to the soil pipe outside. Would there be anything to

stop
me simply joining the basin waste to the bath waste pipe by means of a Tee
and thus having only one waste pipe for the remaining run to the exit?

TIA.

no problem, 40mm t with a reducer on the 32mm entry

If you do this you will pull a vac on the basin trap and at best it
will glug when empting the bath at worst it will empty the trap
leaving you with nasty smells. If you really need to do this use a
hep'v'o air admittance valve instead of the trap on the basin. Rob
JimM

I did exactly this in my bathroom, I did use an anti-syphon trap from
Screwfix on the sink though. No problems so far

--
Remove BRAIN before replying
"rob w" wrote in message
om...
"simon beer" wrote in message

"Troy" wrote in message
[...]

simon beer

"rob w" wrote in message
If you do this you will pull a vac on the basin trap and at best it
will glug when empting the bath at worst it will empty the trap
leaving you with nasty smells. If you really need to do this use a
hep'v'o air admittance valve instead of the trap on the basin. Rob

I stand corrected, but it seems to be going ok with mine. I have a shower
pipe running along and the sink waste falling down into it. That said I do
get some glugging (from the shower waste), although hardly any, when I empty
the sink. I always put this down to it being a shallow waste on the
shower...... but now I know differently I won't do the same again next
time........ no honest!

Troy

Thanks to all of you for your help. Job now done but no valve fitted as yet
- I intend doing that ASAP - I think Wickes have what I need. Slight
gurgling when emptying but nothing serious. It certainly looks a lot neater
than having the 2 pipes - the enclosure will be much smaller.

Thanks again.
--
Regards,

Troy the Black Lab.

Remove spam to email me
BillR

Troy wrote:
Just a quickie :-)

In my bathroom, the 40mm waste pipe from the bath (enclosed on the
floor against a wall) passes the wash basin. The wash basin has it's
own 32mm waste pipe and both pipes run (inside the bathroom - no
option) together to the point of exit to the soil pipe outside. Would
there be anything to stop me simply joining the basin waste to the
bath waste pipe by means of a Tee and thus having only one waste pipe
for the remaining run to the exit?

TIA.

According to the charts on the hepworth web site there are max number of
"discharge units" allowed for any particular pipe size at a given drainage
slope.
a 40mm pipe at 1.25 degree slope can have 2 discharge units
a 40mm pipe at 2.5 degree slope can have 8 discharge units.

1.25 degree (minimum) = 22mm/M.
2.5 deg (normal) = 45mm/M

A domestic bath = 7 dicharge units
A basin = 1 unit
So if the slope is 2.5 degree combining the two is just ok.
If the slope is less then no.