Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Looking for a pressure switch or 12 volt pump with a pressure switch

I'm looking for a replacement for the water feed pump on our little
boat. The 'standard' marine ones from Jabsco are a ridiculous price
as are the spares for the worn out one that I have so I'm looking for
alternatives.

A replacement pressure switch (all I *actually* need is the spring
contacts) for my Jabsco pump is more than £30. All their spares are
silly prices, even paper gaskets cost tens of pounds.

So, as I said, I'm looking for alternatives. The difficult part is
finding a pump that doesn't deliver *too much* pressure. It's easy to
find pumps that deliver 60 to 100 psi but this is too much for the
bendy plastic pipe plumbing. I need a pump that delivers around 10 to
15 litres/minute at 15 to 25 psi (that's 1 to 1.5 Bar).

As I said it's easy to find pumps that deliver 60psi or more and cost
only £10 to £15 but all the lower pressure ones cost £60 or more.
Maybe I'll have to spend that much but I'd prefer not to (surprise!).

Alternatively a pressure switch that operates in the 1 to 2 Bar range
would solve my problem, I could use it with the existing pump (and a
big fat automative relay to handle the current if necessary).

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
[...]

I think you might well have a problem finding a pressure switch to work
over that range cheaply and with the degree of hysteresis needed to
match the pump. To be honest by the time you have found a switch,
adapted it to fit mechanically and added a relay you might just as well
buy the replacement part and the warranty that goes with it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 27 March 2017 13:33:03 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

I don't know what pressure washing machine pressostats work at, 1 or 2 bar seems rather high.

I expect many pumps would work if run on less than rated voltage, at what current draw I don't know. I don't know how long little windscreen squirt pumps can run for.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim k wrote:
Chris Green Wrote in message:
[...]

Like eBay ^M152357653049 ?

Well, yes, apart from the £42 postage whch takes the price back up to
£66.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

[...]

Like eBay
152357653049 ?
--
Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/27/2017 2:11 PM, wrote:
[...]

I'd wondered about washing machine switches too, they are trivial to
operate with "breath" and I suspect they operate at less than 1 psi. But
they are normally two way, so potentially easy to hook up. I have used
cheap bilge pumps in the past to arrange modest flows and pressure with
a 12 volt supply (they come in various sizes).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 1:33:03 PM UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

The "Marine Shurflo Water Pump 7 L/min 20 Psi 12v" might be suitable for you. They cost less than £50.

My experience with Shurflow pumps has been very good. Work well, reliable, no priming needed.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:
[...]

Yes, the Shurflo pumps seem to be some of the most reasonably priced
ones. If nothing else appears that would seem to be the way to go,
thank you.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim k wrote:
[...]

For a complete new matched pump & pressure switch.

You could always Google for a better price yourself rather than
expect others to?

I have been for the last day or so. I can find pumps from various UK
suppliers and manufacturers around the same £66 price but nothing
cheaper. If they can be sold in the USA for £25 or why not here?

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Wrote in message:
[...]

? My "whole house" water pump is set to 3.5 bar.

I expect some people's mains water pressure is even higher...

--
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Not long with the one I tried.

Boat bilge pumps run a lot longer. Not that cheap tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim k wrote:
[...]

Because you lot have decided to BRexit and have to be punished for doing
that...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

jim k wrote:
[...]

I've found one for £37
(new).
--
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim k wrote:
Wrote in message:
[...]

Our mains pressure is 5 Bar or thereabouts. However my boat's
plumbing can't cope with anything like that.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Bilge pumps run very rarely, if at all! At least one hopes they don't!

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris Green
writes
[...]

Caravan stuff any good?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

jim k wrote:
Wrote in message:
[...]

Yup.
(I had misread the pressostat suggestion as being related to the
inlet solenoids pressure capabilities, not the pressure switch
side of things).
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Irrelevant to how long they last if you use them a lot more than they
get used as a bilge pump. I used one for years with a very slow drain
for the shower that was a big hassle to fix the drainage properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

Boat bilge pumps run a lot longer. Not that cheap tho.

Bilge pumps run very rarely, if at all! At least one hopes they don't!

Irrelevant to how long they last if you use them a lot more than they
get used as a bilge pump. I used one for years with a very slow drain
for the shower that was a big hassle to fix the drainage properly.

Irrelevant to the comment you made. :-)

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 27 March 2017 18:10:46 UTC+1, jim wrote:
tabbypurr Wrote in message:
[...]

which is way higher than the pressure a WM pressostat ever sees.

NT