Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Device for finding cables and pipes prior to drilling

I've got one but it's years old - has the technology improved and has anyone got any recommendations?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:
I've got one but it's years old - has the technology improved and has
anyone got any recommendations?

A nail works for me. Let's the electricity and water out just as well as a
drill. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Murmansk formulated :
I've got one but it's years old - has the technology improved and has anyone
got any recommendations?

Mine is a combined unit - cable pipe, live wire, stud finder and quite
old. A friend bought the recent Lidl one on offer and I had quick
chance to have a play...

It included all of the above, plus an ultrasonic distance measure. It
seemed a bit more capable, but maybe not worth the expense as I had one
already.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2017 20:14, Murmansk wrote:
I've got one but it's years old - has the technology improved and has anyone got any recommendations?

Some are better than others, but whether the age has much impact is
harder to know. My Zircon Triscanner works well - and that must be a
good decade old or more.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:

has the technology improved

IME not really, I've got a Bosch GMS120

https://www.boschtools.com/ca/en/boschtools-ocs/stud-finders-gms-120-35140-p

I would *not* recommend it, it can give false positive and false
negatives for mains cabling whenever there's any plasterboard within a
few feet.

A 20p neodymium magnet is far more accurate for finding joists/studs
provided there are nails or screws in them.

As for copper pipes it *is* actually quite good at finding those, even
where they pass within brick walls.