David W.E. Roberts

Default B&D KA110E 2in1 sander - problem

Hi,

this sander has started to mis-behave.

Instead of running smoothly (if a sander can be said to run smoothly) the
speed is variable and it sounds generally rough.

I have taken it apart and there seems to be no obvious visible problem, and
the brushes still seem to be of a reasonable length.

The speed variation gives the impression of 'misfiring' - it speeds up,
misses a bit, speeds up again.

It does this on all speed settings.

Anyone had/solved this problem?

These days I guess having B&D tools serviced is not cost effective - even
years ago they used to prefer to trade them in against new at the service
centres.

TIA

Dave R

S P O N I X

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 11:52:24 -0000, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

Hi,

this sander has started to mis-behave.

Instead of running smoothly (if a sander can be said to run smoothly) the
speed is variable and it sounds generally rough.

I have taken it apart and there seems to be no obvious visible problem, and
the brushes still seem to be of a reasonable length.

The speed variation gives the impression of 'misfiring' - it speeds up,
misses a bit, speeds up again.

It does this on all speed settings.

Anyone had/solved this problem?

These days I guess having B&D tools serviced is not cost effective - even
years ago they used to prefer to trade them in against new at the service
centres.

Possible break in the mains lead or loose terminal somewhere or dodgy
switch?

sPoNiX
Harry Bloomfield

On 05/02/2004 David W.E. Roberts a wrote :
Hi,

this sander has started to mis-behave.

Instead of running smoothly (if a sander can be said to run smoothly) the
speed is variable and it sounds generally rough.

I have taken it apart and there seems to be no obvious visible problem, and
the brushes still seem to be of a reasonable length.

The speed variation gives the impression of 'misfiring' - it speeds up,
misses a bit, speeds up again.

1. Broken cable, most likely close to where the cable enters the
handle.

2. Faulty speed controller.

3. If there is a great deal of sparking on the commutator when the
problem occurs, check that the brushes are not sticking in their
holders. If they might be, rub the sides of the brushes down a little
on fine sand paper.

Run the unit held firmly in one spot, then try waggling the cable
about; operating the switch; thumping the sander.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)

Lurch

wrote:

Hi,

this sander has started to mis-behave.

Instead of running smoothly (if a sander can be said to run smoothly) the
speed is variable and it sounds generally rough.

I have taken it apart and there seems to be no obvious visible problem, and
the brushes still seem to be of a reasonable length.

The speed variation gives the impression of 'misfiring' - it speeds up,
misses a bit, speeds up again.

It does this on all speed settings.

Anyone had/solved this problem?

These days I guess having B&D tools serviced is not cost effective - even
years ago they used to prefer to trade them in against new at the service
centres.

Quite probably a break in the flex, close to the appliance inlet.
Quite often my drill's will do this.
It could be worn\dirty commutator\brushes, I had a cheap one that did
that, just turned out to be dust clogging up the insides.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
N. Thornton

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message ...
Hi,

this sander has started to mis-behave.

Instead of running smoothly (if a sander can be said to run smoothly) the
speed is variable and it sounds generally rough.

I have taken it apart and there seems to be no obvious visible problem, and
the brushes still seem to be of a reasonable length.

The speed variation gives the impression of 'misfiring' - it speeds up,
misses a bit, speeds up again.

It does this on all speed settings.

Anyone had/solved this problem?

These days I guess having B&D tools serviced is not cost effective - even
years ago they used to prefer to trade them in against new at the service
centres.

TIA

Dave R

--

loose connection, worn down motor brushes, or burnt switch contacts.

Regards, NT

Phil Kyle

4. Netkkkoping ****.

--
Phil Kyle - Usenet Legend.

http://philkyle2003.reachme.at/

"If Harry would just shut up half the
problems on this group would go away,
He brought the trolls here from
local.yorkshire in the first place!! " - wemfish

Vokera Excell 80E overheat problem anon UK diy 1 December 3rd 03 04:26 PM
Combi DHW output problem Neil UK diy 0 December 2nd 03 09:44 PM
Combi DHW output problem Neil UK diy 0 December 2nd 03 09:36 PM
100mm extractor hood ducting problem PoP UK diy 5 November 18th 03 10:07 PM
Boiler Problem Gradually Getting Worse Frank Davis UK diy 1 October 23rd 03 10:00 PM