DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   That's slightly interesting (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/584231-thats-slightly-interesting.html)

GB January 10th 17 06:55 PM

That's slightly interesting

Years ago (20 or 30), I bought a mitre saw, I find it really quite good
and reasonably accurate. This one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-.../dp/B000LFRXW2

And yet it gets terrible reviews. Now, I've found a review that explains
why:
"I have to say that the quality and accuracy is poor, now that many of
its components are plastic, the original were all cast ally and it was a
good piece of kit"

I paid more £££s for mine all those years ago, so something has to give.

Dave Plowman (News) January 10th 17 07:38 PM

That's slightly interesting

In article ,
GB wrote:
Years ago (20 or 30), I bought a mitre saw, I find it really quite good
and reasonably accurate. This one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-.../dp/B000LFRXW2

And yet it gets terrible reviews. Now, I've found a review that explains
why:
"I have to say that the quality and accuracy is poor, now that many of
its components are plastic, the original were all cast ally and it was a
good piece of kit"

I paid more £££s for mine all those years ago, so something has to give.

I don't think Silverline actually make anything. Just hoover up surplus
production. So what looks like a similar tool could come from a different
maker some years down the line.

--
*HOW DO THEY GET DEER TO CROSS THE ROAD ONLY AT THOSE YELLOW ROAD SIGNS?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

newshound January 10th 17 08:54 PM

On 1/10/2017 6:55 PM, GB wrote:
Years ago (20 or 30), I bought a mitre saw, I find it really quite good
and reasonably accurate. This one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-.../dp/B000LFRXW2

And yet it gets terrible reviews. Now, I've found a review that explains
why:
"I have to say that the quality and accuracy is poor, now that many of
its components are plastic, the original were all cast ally and it was a
good piece of kit"

I paid more £££s for mine all those years ago, so something has to give.

I have the Wickes equivalent, I think mine is all cast and it is not too
bad. I'm not sure that having the "guides" in plastic is necessarily a
disaster, you need a certain amount of "touch" to get accuracy with
these. The guides are there to help guide *you*, not to prevent you from
forcing the saw to cut at an angle to the vertical.

Tim Lamb[_2_] January 10th 17 09:50 PM

That's slightly interesting

In message ,
newshound writes
On 1/10/2017 6:55 PM, GB wrote:
Years ago (20 or 30), I bought a mitre saw, I find it really quite good
and reasonably accurate. This one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-.../dp/B000LFRXW2

And yet it gets terrible reviews. Now, I've found a review that explains
why:
"I have to say that the quality and accuracy is poor, now that many of
its components are plastic, the original were all cast ally and it was a
good piece of kit"

I paid more £££s for mine all those years ago, so something has to give.

I have the Wickes equivalent, I think mine is all cast and it is not
too bad. I'm not sure that having the "guides" in plastic is
necessarily a disaster, you need a certain amount of "touch" to get
accuracy with these. The guides are there to help guide *you*, not to
prevent you from forcing the saw to cut at an angle to the vertical.

Looks much like mine. A bit of Silicone polish helps with the slider
friction.

First job was to fix it to a bit of chipboard so it could be safely
gripped in a bench vice. Currently cramped to a fairly rigid table.

--
Tim Lamb

newshound January 11th 17 10:22 PM

That's slightly interesting

On 1/10/2017 9:50 PM, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
newshound writes
On 1/10/2017 6:55 PM, GB wrote:
[...]

A bit of joist, in my case! Another +1 for the silicone spray.