Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning Textured Vinyl Flooring

I've got some textured (non slip) vinyl flooring in the workshop (I
think it's Rhino flooring)

See it he http://tinyurl.com/za9e27b

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/za9e27b

Now, it is VERY hard wearing but I just can't get it clean. In the
doorway I have a doormat and when this is lifted the flooring looks like
new.

I want to return the rest of the floor as close to this if possible.
I've tried many domestic vinyl floor cleaning products but NONE gets the
dirt and grime off to my satisfaction.

Does anyone know of a product that will get this vinyl flooring clean?
either used neat or diluted?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2016 20:40, Enrie Membership wrote:
I've got some textured (non slip) vinyl flooring in the workshop (I
think it's Rhino flooring)

See it he http://tinyurl.com/za9e27b

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/za9e27b

Now, it is VERY hard wearing but I just can't get it clean. In the
doorway I have a doormat and when this is lifted the flooring looks like
new.

I want to return the rest of the floor as close to this if possible.
I've tried many domestic vinyl floor cleaning products but NONE gets the
dirt and grime off to my satisfaction.

Does anyone know of a product that will get this vinyl flooring clean?
either used neat or diluted?

I'd be interested in the answer. I've got some textured vinyl in my
conservatory which is looking a bit grimy.

I keep meaning to try my steam cleaner on it, but haven't got around to
it. Anyone know whether that would be likely to work?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2016 20:40, Enrie Membership wrote:
I've got some textured (non slip) vinyl flooring in the workshop (I
think it's Rhino flooring)

See it he http://tinyurl.com/za9e27b

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/za9e27b

Now, it is VERY hard wearing but I just can't get it clean. In the
doorway I have a doormat and when this is lifted the flooring looks like
new.

I want to return the rest of the floor as close to this if possible.
I've tried many domestic vinyl floor cleaning products but NONE gets the
dirt and grime off to my satisfaction.

Does anyone know of a product that will get this vinyl flooring clean?
either used neat or diluted?

Try a microfibre type mop.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ADDIS-Micro.../dp/B004V7POT0

or

http://tinyurl.com/z3we8yr

Are you sure that the colour hasn't changed/faded due to UV (sunlight)
and the bit under the mat hasn't because sunlight has been blocked?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 23/12/2016 22:22, Roger Mills wrote:
I'd be interested in the answer. I've got some textured vinyl in my
conservatory which is looking a bit grimy.

I keep meaning to try my steam cleaner on it, but haven't got around to
it. Anyone know whether that would be likely to work?

Havent a clue and this suggestion may not work either
.. As a kid I decided to help mum and clean her kitchen floor it was only
ever mop cleaned. it was those square vinyl tiles.

I got a stiff scrubbing brush and a tin of Vim a type of scouring
powder. After the first square foot I regretted it as the fekcin things
came up like new and therefore had to keep going, took me about 2 hours
for a small kitchen floor. Mother was delighted though.
So some type of scouring powder and hard work may do the trick.

http://www.homecareessentials.co.uk/...urer_750g.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 December 2016 20:40:14 UTC, Enrie Membership wrote:
I've got some textured (non slip) vinyl flooring in the workshop (I
think it's Rhino flooring)

See it he http://tinyurl.com/za9e27b

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/za9e27b

Now, it is VERY hard wearing but I just can't get it clean. In the
doorway I have a doormat and when this is lifted the flooring looks like
new.

I want to return the rest of the floor as close to this if possible.
I've tried many domestic vinyl floor cleaning products but NONE gets the
dirt and grime off to my satisfaction.

Does anyone know of a product that will get this vinyl flooring clean?
either used neat or diluted?

Overnight soak with bleach or washing powder. I usually use bleach, it's much quicker.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 December 2016 20:40:14 UTC, Enrie Membership wrote:
I've got some textured (non slip) vinyl flooring in the workshop (I
think it's Rhino flooring)

See it he http://tinyurl.com/za9e27b

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/za9e27b

Now, it is VERY hard wearing but I just can't get it clean. In the
doorway I have a doormat and when this is lifted the flooring looks like
new.

I want to return the rest of the floor as close to this if possible.
I've tried many domestic vinyl floor cleaning products but NONE gets the
dirt and grime off to my satisfaction.

Does anyone know of a product that will get this vinyl flooring clean?
either used neat or diluted?

It may contain asbestos.
Many old vinyl floor tiles did.
Almost definitely if they are pre 80s.
So you don't want to go abrading them as it releases the asbestos fibres.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/essen...floortiles.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd suspect its scratched and the dirt is in the scratches. It can also fade
if the sun is on it, it depends on its quality and age. I've never comeup
with much that does not, in tiime affect such surfaces adversely.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Enrie Membership" wrote in message
news
I've got some textured (non slip) vinyl flooring in the workshop (I think
it's Rhino flooring)

See it he
http://tinyurl.com/za9e27b

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/za9e27b

Now, it is VERY hard wearing but I just can't get it clean. In the doorway
I have a doormat and when this is lifted the flooring looks like new.

I want to return the rest of the floor as close to this if possible. I've
tried many domestic vinyl floor cleaning products but NONE gets the dirt
and grime off to my satisfaction.

Does anyone know of a product that will get this vinyl flooring clean?
either used neat or diluted?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 20:40:11 +0000, Enrie Membership
wrote:

I've got some textured (non slip) vinyl flooring in the workshop (I
think it's Rhino flooring)

See it he http://tinyurl.com/za9e27b

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/za9e27b

Now, it is VERY hard wearing but I just can't get it clean. In the
doorway I have a doormat and when this is lifted the flooring looks like
new.

I want to return the rest of the floor as close to this if possible.
I've tried many domestic vinyl floor cleaning products but NONE gets the
dirt and grime off to my satisfaction.

Does anyone know of a product that will get this vinyl flooring clean?
either used neat or diluted?

Depends what might have been put down on it before. I tried steam
cleaning the vinyl floor in my kitchen, but it had a floor polish
(John Lewis I think) used on it for years. It all just turned into a
sticky mess, which took me ages to clear off by hand. The floor still
doesn't look clean.
I'll be interested to see if this thread leads to anything.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 December 2016 20:40:14 UTC, Enrie Membership wrote:
I've tried many domestic vinyl floor cleaning products but NONE gets the
dirt and grime off to my satisfaction.

The flooring manufacturers sometimes have commercial cleaning solutions that might be more effective.

Steam cleaning with a microfibre mop head may be effective, but don't melt the vinyl or the adhesive underneath.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are you sure it's not stained rather than simply surface dirt? If it
is stained, you'll never get it clean.

Abrading should be a last resort - the micro scratches then harbor more
opportunities for staining.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've got some textured (non slip) vinyl flooring in the workshop (I
think it's Rhino flooring)

I want to return the rest of the floor as close to this if possible.
I've tried many domestic vinyl floor cleaning products but NONE gets the
dirt and grime off to my satisfaction.

Does anyone know of a product that will get this vinyl flooring clean?
either used neat or diluted?

There isn't one. Or at least there isn't one to restore it to as new
condition.

Vinyl flooring has a soft clear wear layer about 0.25mm thick above
the pattern layer and (sometimes) a top thin urethane surface coating
on top of that to reduce scuffing.

Although very robust the clear layers, especially the wear layer, are
relatively soft and the surface quickly gets covered in fine
scratches. These collect dirt and cannot be completely cleaned. The
more abrasive a cleaner you use the more effective it will be at
creating a temporary clean appearance at the expense of making more
abrasions so the floor will get dirty quicker.

The one way which does work moderately well is detergent plus a very
firm scrubbing brush (marine short bristle deck brushes work well) and
pressure. Unfortunately this takes time and most people have better
things to do than get on their hands and knees with a stiff scrubbing
brush and lots of water for an hour or so once a week.

Some people have reported some success with steam cleaners but no
matter what you do the floor is still covered in surface scratches
which collect dust and dirt and will revert to looking discoloured
fairly quickly. It isn't possible to make them look like new again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/16 13:54, Chris Hogg wrote:
If it
is stained, you'll never get it clean.

Oh... the ignorance...
....That is what bleach is for..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 24/12/16 13:54, Chris Hogg wrote:
If it
is stained, you'll never get it clean.

Oh... the ignorance...
...That is what bleach is for..

But bleach doesn't actually clean it, it just turns the dirt white. The
dirt will soon pick up 'dirt colour' again.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Parry
writes

It isn't possible to make them look like new again.

Oh good. I won't bother trying then :-)

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 24 December 2016 17:07:43 UTC, Graeme wrote:
It isn't possible to make them look like new again.

Oh good. I won't bother trying then :-)

Call it "shabby chic" ...

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/2016 14:32, Chris Green wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 24/12/16 13:54, Chris Hogg wrote:
If it
is stained, you'll never get it clean.

Oh... the ignorance...
...That is what bleach is for..

But bleach doesn't actually clean it, it just turns the dirt white. The
dirt will soon pick up 'dirt colour' again.

Would hydrogen peroxide work better than household bleach?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 24/12/2016 14:32, Chris Green wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 24/12/16 13:54, Chris Hogg wrote:
If it
is stained, you'll never get it clean.

Oh... the ignorance...
...That is what bleach is for..

But bleach doesn't actually clean it, it just turns the dirt white. The
dirt will soon pick up 'dirt colour' again.

Would hydrogen peroxide work better than household bleach?

Surprisingly hard to get hold of in decent volume for some reason.

Its the best way to get burnt on stuff off the bottom of a stockpot,
boil some of that in it, but its only readily available here in tiny little
50ml bottles, at silly prices.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/2016 22:16, Rod Speed wrote:

"alan_m" wrote in message

Would hydrogen peroxide work better than household bleach?

Surprisingly hard to get hold of in decent volume for some reason.

but its only readily available here in tiny little
50ml bottles, at silly prices.

Plenty of Ebay sellers with 5 litres of 3%, 6% or 12% for around ten to
fifteen quid including delivery. Some sellers have 25 litres for sale.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 24 December 2016 14:33:07 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 24/12/16 13:54, Chris Hogg wrote:

If it
is stained, you'll never get it clean.

Oh... the ignorance...
...That is what bleach is for..

But bleach doesn't actually clean it, it just turns the dirt white. The
dirt will soon pick up 'dirt colour' again.

incorrect. It does not remove limescale, in hard water areas that can be removed with some acid.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
What do you mean 'incorrect'? You've agreed that it doesn't remove
limescale, my experience is that it doesn't remove *anything*, it just
turns it all white.

No, it oxidise dyes and makes fats water soluble, so it DOES remove a
lot of ****.

Only if you wash as well.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 26 December 2016 21:03:04 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
What do you mean 'incorrect'? You've agreed that it doesn't remove
limescale, my experience is that it doesn't remove *anything*, it just
turns it all white.

No, it oxidise dyes and makes fats water soluble, so it DOES remove a
lot of ****.

Only if you wash as well.

Bleached kitchen & bathroom floors today, no rinsing, they came up almost spotless.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/16 22:54, Chris Green wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
What do you mean 'incorrect'? You've agreed that it doesn't remove
limescale, my experience is that it doesn't remove *anything*, it just
turns it all white.

No, it oxidise dyes and makes fats water soluble, so it DOES remove a
lot of ****.

Only if you wash as well.

Er...I am struggling to think of someone NOT mopping a vinyl floor they
wanted to get clean...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/16 11:05, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 26/12/16 22:54, Chris Green wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
What do you mean 'incorrect'? You've agreed that it doesn't remove
limescale, my experience is that it doesn't remove *anything*, it just
turns it all white.

No, it oxidise dyes and makes fats water soluble, so it DOES remove a
lot of ****.

Only if you wash as well.

Er...I am struggling to think of someone NOT mopping a vinyl floor
they wanted to get clean...

Vacuum first, then wash.

Well yes.

Or brush and pan, scrub off the big stuck chunks, vaccuum, treat with
special chemistry, wash.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:

On 26/12/16 22:54, Chris Green wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
What do you mean 'incorrect'? You've agreed that it doesn't remove
limescale, my experience is that it doesn't remove *anything*, it just
turns it all white.

No, it oxidise dyes and makes fats water soluble, so it DOES remove a
lot of ****.

Only if you wash as well.

Er...I am struggling to think of someone NOT mopping a vinyl floor
they wanted to get clean...

Vacuum first, then wash.

Well yes.

Or brush and pan, scrub off the big stuck chunks, vaccuum, treat with
special chemistry, wash.

Suspect you're confusing your "bathroom" with your "workshop"...
:-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/16 13:03, Tim Streater wrote:
Obviously if the surface is known merely to be mucky (e.g. spilt gravy
on our useless faux marble worktop) then skip the vacuuming step.

Wait till you spill wine on a real marble worktop...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 28 December 2016 11:33:05 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 26 December 2016 21:03:04 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

What do you mean 'incorrect'? You've agreed that it doesn't remove
limescale, my experience is that it doesn't remove *anything*, it just
turns it all white.

No, it oxidise dyes and makes fats water soluble, so it DOES remove a
lot of ****.

Only if you wash as well.

Bleached kitchen & bathroom floors today, no rinsing, they came up almost spotless.

Spotless yes, but you haven't actually removed any dirt have you? If
you didn't rinse it then the dirt can't have gone anywhere.

Of course it did. Look at it this way: there was crusting of muck, after bleaching there is nothing visible, no matter how close you look. Mopping removed some, chemical reaction with bleach destroyed some, and the next mopping will remove any traces left behind - but they're too small to be visible. Try it some time.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are you looking to get your property cleaned or fixed? We are happy to provide 24 hour service and AFFORDABLE rates. Call us today for your QUOTE +61 0401 616 219 or Visit http://www.drivenfm.com.au/facilities-management/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SPAM Cleaning Textured Vinyl Flooring

On Thursday, 12 January 2017 12:56:25 UTC, wrote:
Are you looking to get your property cleaned or fixed? We are happy to provide 24 hour service and AFFORDABLE rates. Call us today for your QUOTE +61 0401 616 219 or Visit http://www.drivenfm.com.au/facilities-management/

in australia lol. What a twonk.
AND a diy group where we do that stuff ourselves

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to tabbypurr, vondeser wrote:
Most professionals working with vinyl siding know that this material has a
fairly high level of electrostatic voltage on the surface. This voltage is
created by airflow. This physical property provides a strong attraction of
charged dust particles to the vinyl facade. Can you advise a cleanser product,
I am looking now at people say it is like cool, who used this product?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...g-1179035-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to spuorgelgoog, vondeser wrote:
Excessive moisture when washing floors, dirt and dust particles, as well as
heavy furniture with sharp edges, can lead to squeaks, loss of beauty and
shine by the laminate. To avoid these negative consequences, you need to know
exactly how to choose a mop for laminate. I have read a lot of articles

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...g-1179035-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2019 15:44, vondeser wrote:
replying to spuorgelgoog, vondeser wrote:
Excessive moisture when washing floors, dirt and dust particles, as well as
heavy furniture with sharp edges, can lead to squeaks, loss of beauty and
shine by the laminate. To avoid these negative consequences, you need to
know exactly how to choose a mop for laminate.

I have read a lot of articles

Just today, or ever since 2016 ?.

What is under the vinyl flooring? Anna Kettle[_3_] UK diy 4 May 20th 09 10:02 AM
Vinyl flooring Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 1 February 3rd 09 03:52 PM
Vinyl Flooring pakdog[_2_] Home Repair 4 August 6th 08 11:28 PM
Gap in vinyl flooring smithfarms pure kona Home Repair 4 May 22nd 05 05:08 AM
Vinyl Flooring Over Old Vinyl Backer Terry Smith Home Repair 1 September 10th 04 03:31 AM