Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flickering power switch

Hi everyone, my wall socket power switch to my boiler is flickering red and
there is no power to my boiler. Has the fuse blown or is it the socket that
needs replacing

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...h-1176228-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Nick m wrote:
Hi everyone, my wall socket power switch to my boiler is flickering red
and there is no power to my boiler. Has the fuse blown or is it the
socket that needs replacing

Neon indicators often flicker for no reason. If you can't check a fuse
yourself, get a qualified sparks in.

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Dec 2016 14:30:29 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article .com,
Nick m wrote:
Hi everyone, my wall socket power switch to my boiler is flickering
red and there is no power to my boiler. Has the fuse blown or is it
the socket that needs replacing

Neon indicators often flicker for no reason. If you can't check a fuse
yourself, get a qualified sparks in.

He didn't mention any neon, maybe the whole thing is flickering red?

In which case...

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2016 14:14, Nick wrote:

Hi everyone, my wall socket power switch to my boiler is flickering red and
there is no power to my boiler. Has the fuse blown or is it the socket that
needs replacing

Might help to know exactly what is there...

Is this a switch with a Flex outlet?
Flex outlet and fuse and switch?
Either of above with Neon indicator?
Conventional plug and socket?
Conventional plug and socket where the socket has a neon indicator?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Davey wrote:
On Thu, 08 Dec 2016 14:30:29 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article .com,
Nick m wrote:
Hi everyone, my wall socket power switch to my boiler is flickering
red and there is no power to my boiler. Has the fuse blown or is it
the socket that needs replacing

Neon indicators often flicker for no reason. If you can't check a fuse
yourself, get a qualified sparks in.

He didn't mention any neon, maybe the whole thing is flickering red?

In which case...

Ah. Then definitely get a sparks in. ;-)

--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/8/2016 3:35 PM, John Rumm wrote:
On 08/12/2016 14:14, Nick wrote:

Hi everyone, my wall socket power switch to my boiler is flickering
red and
there is no power to my boiler. Has the fuse blown or is it the socket
that
needs replacing

Might help to know exactly what is there...

Is this a switch with a Flex outlet?
Flex outlet and fuse and switch?
Either of above with Neon indicator?
Conventional plug and socket?
Conventional plug and socket where the socket has a neon indicator?

+1

I'm *really* hoping that flickering red means a flickering red neon, or
we might be hearing about Nick on the News.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 December 2016 16:13:08 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Davey wrote:
On Thu, 08 Dec 2016 14:30:29 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article .com,
Nick m wrote:

Hi everyone, my wall socket power switch to my boiler is flickering
red and there is no power to my boiler. Has the fuse blown or is it
the socket that needs replacing

Neon indicators often flicker for no reason. If you can't check a fuse
yourself, get a qualified sparks in.

He didn't mention any neon, maybe the whole thing is flickering red?

In which case...

Ah. Then definitely get a sparks in. ;-)

Sounds likes he's already got sparks in.

It's most likely a harmlessly flickering red neon indicator, which shows the fuse has not blown, the problem is elsewhere. We can't possibly know where from so little information.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its just the connections to the neon or if you are really unlcky, one of the
screws to the socket is loose but I'd have thought this would have generated
arcing or local heat in the socket. I have a storage heater on off switch
box like this. Since I lost my sight I can no longer see it, its been
checked and there is nothing wrong with it, just the design of the way the
neon wire and t its series resistor are bodgily clamped under a couple of
metal strips under the switch part.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Nick" m wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everyone, my wall socket power switch to my boiler is flickering red
and
there is no power to my boiler. Has the fuse blown or is it the socket
that
needs replacing

--
for full context, visit
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...h-1176228-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/2016 02:32, wrote:

It's most likely a harmlessly flickering red neon indicator, which
shows the fuse has not blown, the problem is elsewhere. We can't
possibly know where from so little information.

If its a normal 13A socket with a neon (rather than a switched FCU etc),
then its possible the fuse in the plug has blown, but the neon would
still show power being fed to the plug.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Nick, Angelique Todesco-Bond wrote:
Nick what was the answer to this as have woken up this morning to same thing
socket power flickering - no power to boiler, however there is power to the
separate heating control panel

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...h-1176228-.htm