DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   37 mm O.D. tube? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/581894-37-mm-o-d-tube.html)

[email protected] November 23rd 16 11:15 PM

37 mm O.D. tube?

I have some shelving in which the plug-in uprights are 37 mm O.D. plastic tubes, about 420 mm long, probably polypropylene or similar, wall thickness about 2 mm; I would like, _on_a_temporary_basis_, to replace some of the uprights with shorter ones.

Is that anything like a readily-available inexpensive standard size in any suitable material (the I.D. does not matter, except that the wall must give reasonable rigidity)?

To help you to envisage it, that O.D. is about 50% bigger than that of a proper wooden broom- or mop- stick.

--
SL

[email protected] November 23rd 16 11:28 PM

37 mm O.D. tube?

On Wednesday, 23 November 2016 23:18:48 UTC, jim wrote:
SL Wrote in message:
I have some shelving in which the plug-in uprights are 37 mm O.D. plastic tubes, about 420 mm long, probably polypropylene or similar, wall thickness about 2 mm; I would like, _on_a_temporary_basis_, to replace some of the uprights with shorter ones.

Is that anything like a readily-available inexpensive standard size in any suitable material (the I.D. does not matter, except that the wall must give reasonable rigidity)?

To help you to envisage it, that O.D. is about 50% bigger than that of a proper wooden broom- or mop- stick.

1.5" waste pipe?

Close. I.D. 38 mm, O.D. 42 mm, to judge by the plumber's offcut that I have to hand. Thanks for trying!

--
SL

Roger Hayter[_2_] November 23rd 16 11:52 PM

37 mm O.D. tube?

SL Wrote in message:
I have some shelving in which the plug-in uprights are 37 mm O.D.
plastic tubes, about 420 mm long, probably polypropylene or similar,
wall thickness about 2 mm; I would like, _on_a_temporary_basis_, to
replace some of the uprights with shorter ones.

Is that anything like a readily-available inexpensive standard size in
any suitable material (the I.D. does not matter, except that the wall
must give reasonable rigidity)?

To help you to envisage it, that O.D. is about 50% bigger than that of
a proper wooden broom- or mop- stick.

1.5" waste pipe?

Close. I.D. 38 mm, O.D. 42 mm, to judge by the plumber's offcut that I
have to hand. Thanks for trying!

1 1/4" plus duct tape? 1 1/4" plus solvent weld straight connectors?
Haven't chtecked the latter but must be prettty close.

--

Roger Hayter

Jim November 24th 16 12:17 AM

37 mm O.D. tube?

Wrote in message:
I have some shelving in which the plug-in uprights are 37 mm O.D. plastic tubes, about 420 mm long, probably polypropylene or similar, wall thickness about 2 mm; I would like, _on_a_temporary_basis_, to replace some of the uprights with shorter ones.

Is that anything like a readily-available inexpensive standard size in any suitable material (the I.D. does not matter, except that the wall must give reasonable rigidity)?

To help you to envisage it, that O.D. is about 50% bigger than that of a proper wooden broom- or mop- stick.

1.5" waste pipe?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Andy Burns[_13_] November 24th 16 08:42 AM

37 mm O.D. tube?

Roger Hayter wrote:

wrote:

I have some shelving in which the plug-in uprights are 37 mm O.D.
Is that anything like a readily-available inexpensive standard size in
any suitable material

1 1/4"plus duct tape?

About the closest you'll get with domestic stuff, I think, 1mm out to
start with.

http://www.hendersons.co.uk/pipework2/page2.html

Mrcheerful November 24th 16 03:46 PM

37 mm O.D. tube?

On 23/11/2016 23:15, wrote:
I have some shelving in which the plug-in uprights are 37 mm O.D. plastic tubes, about 420 mm long, probably polypropylene or similar, wall thickness about 2 mm; I would like, _on_a_temporary_basis_, to replace some of the uprights with shorter ones.

Is that anything like a readily-available inexpensive standard size in any suitable material (the I.D. does not matter, except that the wall must give reasonable rigidity)?

To help you to envisage it, that O.D. is about 50% bigger than that of a proper wooden broom- or mop- stick.

Get solvent weld waste 32mm pipe, I have just measured some up and the
od is 36.5. Push fit waste is slightly smaller.

rick November 25th 16 09:09 PM

37 mm O.D. tube?

On 23/11/2016 23:15, wrote:
I have some shelving in which the plug-in uprights are 37 mm O.D.
plastic tubes, about 420 mm long, probably polypropylene or similar,
wall thickness about 2 mm; I would like, _on_a_temporary_basis_, to
replace some of the uprights with shorter ones.

Is that anything like a readily-available inexpensive standard size
in any suitable material (the I.D. does not matter, except that the
wall must give reasonable rigidity)?

To help you to envisage it, that O.D. is about 50% bigger than that
of a proper wooden broom- or mop- stick.

ABS waste pipe .. avail in 32 or 40mm

John Rumm November 30th 16 08:58 PM

37 mm O.D. tube?

SL Wrote in message:
I have some shelving in which the plug-in uprights are 37 mm O.D. plastic tubes, about 420 mm long, probably polypropylene or similar, wall thickness about 2 mm; I would like, _on_a_temporary_basis_, to replace some of the uprights with shorter ones.

Is that anything like a readily-available inexpensive standard size in any suitable material (the I.D. does not matter, except that the wall must give reasonable rigidity)?

To help you to envisage it, that O.D. is about 50% bigger than that of a proper wooden broom- or mop- stick.

1.5" waste pipe?

Close. I.D. 38 mm, O.D. 42 mm, to judge by the plumber's offcut that I have to hand. Thanks for trying!

The 1.25" stuff for basins is about 34mm. Wind some tape round it for
extra girth ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.