DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   stuff diy (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/581771-stuff-diy.html)

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 21st 16 11:52 AM

stuff diy

wish I hadn't started taking the old 50g cold tank and the old CH header
tank out of the loft...what a mess ...pipe work and fittings will be a good
source of spares though......had to cut the 50 g tank in half.....what a
pain that was....

[email protected] November 21st 16 12:03 PM

stuff diy

On Monday, 21 November 2016 11:52:23 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
wish I hadn't started taking the old 50g cold tank and the old CH header
tank out of the loft...what a mess ...pipe work and fittings will be a good
source of spares though......had to cut the 50 g tank in half.....what a
pain that was....

Yesterday I plastered in new socket boxes in the bedroom.

This morning I realised I'd forgotten to drill through for the spur to the hall.

Owain

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 21st 16 12:05 PM

stuff diy

wrote in message
On Monday, 21 November 2016 11:52:23 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
wish I hadn't started taking the old 50g cold tank and the old CH header
tank out of the loft...what a mess ...pipe work and fittings will be a
good
source of spares though......had to cut the 50 g tank in half.....what a
pain that was....

Yesterday I plastered in new socket boxes in the bedroom.

This morning I realised I'd forgotten to drill through for the spur to the
hall.

Owain

oh dear...it must be nice to have lodza money and get everything in the
house and car done for you ....but then again where is the fun ......?

Scott M November 21st 16 12:39 PM

stuff diy

wrote:

Yesterday I plastered in new socket boxes in the bedroom.

This morning I realised I'd forgotten to drill through for the spur to the hall.

Ping out one of the rear cable entry points and drill through that. Easy.

--
Scott

Bill Wright[_3_] November 21st 16 01:03 PM

stuff diy

On 21/11/2016 12:03, wrote:
On Monday, 21 November 2016 11:52:23 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
wish I hadn't started taking the old 50g cold tank and the old CH header
tank out of the loft...what a mess ...pipe work and fittings will be a good
source of spares though......had to cut the 50 g tank in half.....what a
pain that was....

Yesterday I plastered in new socket boxes in the bedroom.

This morning I realised I'd forgotten to drill through for the spur to the hall.

Owain

I don't make mistakes because I'm perfect.

Bill

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 21st 16 01:13 PM

stuff diy

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 21/11/2016 12:03, wrote:
On Monday, 21 November 2016 11:52:23 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
wish I hadn't started taking the old 50g cold tank and the old CH header
tank out of the loft...what a mess ...pipe work and fittings will be a
good
source of spares though......had to cut the 50 g tank in half.....what a
pain that was....

Yesterday I plastered in new socket boxes in the bedroom.

This morning I realised I'd forgotten to drill through for the spur to
the hall.

Owain

I don't make mistakes because I'm perfect.

Bill

and I bet you are a perfectionist as well .......

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 21st 16 01:22 PM

stuff diy

On 21/11/2016 12:03, wrote:
On Monday, 21 November 2016 11:52:23 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
wish I hadn't started taking the old 50g cold tank and the old CH
header
tank out of the loft...what a mess ...pipe work and fittings will be
a good
source of spares though......had to cut the 50 g tank in half.....what
pain that was....

Yesterday I plastered in new socket boxes in the bedroom.

This morning I realised I'd forgotten to drill through for the spur to
the hall.

Owain

I don't make mistakes because I'm perfect.

Bill

I wish I were!

It would be boring .....

Dave Plowman (News) November 21st 16 01:59 PM

stuff diy

In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 21 November 2016 11:52:23 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
wish I hadn't started taking the old 50g cold tank and the old CH
header tank out of the loft...what a mess ...pipe work and fittings
will be a good source of spares though......had to cut the 50 g tank
in half.....what a pain that was....

Yesterday I plastered in new socket boxes in the bedroom.

This morning I realised I'd forgotten to drill through for the spur to
the hall.

Drill a hole in one of the cutouts on the back of the box. Screw in a self
tapper. Pull out the cutout. Drill hole through wall.

--
*Pentium wise, pen and paper foolish *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

whisky-dave[_2_] November 21st 16 04:26 PM

stuff diy

On Monday, 21 November 2016 11:52:23 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
wish I hadn't started taking the old 50g cold tank and the old CH header
tank out of the loft...what a mess ...pipe work and fittings will be a good
source of spares though......had to cut the 50 g tank in half.....what a
pain that was....

I have that feeling after I decide the paint on a door was a bit rough so maybe it's be better stripping the door of paint.

Bill Wright[_3_] November 21st 16 05:47 PM

stuff diy

In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 21 November 2016 11:52:23 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
wish I hadn't started taking the old 50g cold tank and the old CH
header tank out of the loft...what a mess ...pipe work and fittings
will be a good source of spares though......had to cut the 50 g tank
in half.....what a pain that was....

Yesterday I plastered in new socket boxes in the bedroom.

This morning I realised I'd forgotten to drill through for the spur to
the hall.

Drill a hole in one of the cutouts on the back of the box. Screw in a self
tapper. Pull out the cutout. Drill hole through wall.

Nah.

1.Use a small sharp screwdriver and a hammer. Gently tap the little
bit of metal at one side of the knock out where it isn't perforated.
When it's cut through lever the knock out out.

2. Use a metal drill to drill a hole in the back of the box. Throw the
metal drill away if it has been blunted by the masonry. Use a masonry
drill to extend the hole through the wall.

Bill

[email protected] November 21st 16 09:05 PM

stuff diy

On Monday, 21 November 2016 14:06:43 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Drill a hole in one of the cutouts on the back of the box. Screw in a self
tapper. Pull out the cutout. Drill hole through wall.

I can drill a hole elsewhere, but the annoyance factor is I could have done the plastering in one go rather than two.

Owain

Dave Plowman (News) November 22nd 16 12:53 AM

stuff diy

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Drill a hole in one of the cutouts on the back of the box. Screw in a self
tapper. Pull out the cutout. Drill hole through wall.

Nah.

1.Use a small sharp screwdriver and a hammer. Gently tap the little
bit of metal at one side of the knock out where it isn't perforated.
When it's cut through lever the knock out out.

Hammering on a box set into plaster may not be the cleverest thing to do.

2. Use a metal drill to drill a hole in the back of the box. Throw the
metal drill away if it has been blunted by the masonry. Use a masonry
drill to extend the hole through the wall.

Eh?

--
*WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

Brian Gaff November 22nd 16 09:05 AM

stuff diy

Mine is still in the loft taking up room. its galvanised quite thick metal.
How did they get it in in the first place?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Jeff Layman[_2_] November 22nd 16 10:02 AM

stuff diy

I often wondered if they put them up and build the roof around them. Or
maybe get them up through the gable end and then brick them in. However
it was done, there was obviously no thought given to the fact that they
might need to be replaced at some stage.

--

Jeff

Roger Hayter[_2_] November 22nd 16 12:06 PM

stuff diy

Jeff Layman wrote:

I often wondered if they put them up and build the roof around them. Or
maybe get them up through the gable end and then brick them in. However
it was done, there was obviously no thought given to the fact that they
might need to be replaced at some stage.

Rightly, as it turned out, because by the time they needed replacing
no-one wanted large galvanised tanks. They preferred plastic ones or
plastic liners, or solutions not involving a storage tank at all.

--

Roger Hayter

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 22nd 16 02:12 PM

stuff diy

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
Jeff Layman wrote:

I often wondered if they put them up and build the roof around them. Or
maybe get them up through the gable end and then brick them in. However
it was done, there was obviously no thought given to the fact that they
might need to be replaced at some stage.

Rightly, as it turned out, because by the time they needed replacing
no-one wanted large galvanised tanks. They preferred plastic ones or
plastic liners, or solutions not involving a storage tank at all.

I had to cut mine in half with the scorpion saw to get it down the hatch....

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 22nd 16 02:13 PM

stuff diy

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Mine is still in the loft taking up room. its galvanised quite thick
metal. How did they get it in in the first place?
Brian

as the house gets built ...some tanks fold up....

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 22nd 16 02:15 PM

stuff diy

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Mine is still in the loft taking up room. its galvanised quite thick
metal. How did they get it in in the first place?
Brian

as the house gets built ...some tanks fold up....

but they usualy fit between roof trusses but not when thy finish the hatch

Bill Wright[_3_] November 22nd 16 02:24 PM

stuff diy

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Drill a hole in one of the cutouts on the back of the box. Screw in a self
tapper. Pull out the cutout. Drill hole through wall.

Nah.

1.Use a small sharp screwdriver and a hammer. Gently tap the little
bit of metal at one side of the knock out where it isn't perforated.
When it's cut through lever the knock out out.

Hammering on a box set into plaster may not be the cleverest thing to do.

I said 'gently tap'. Use skill.

2. Use a metal drill to drill a hole in the back of the box. Throw the
metal drill away if it has been blunted by the masonry. Use a masonry
drill to extend the hole through the wall.

Eh?

Half past three.

Bill

Dave Plowman (News) November 22nd 16 03:29 PM

stuff diy

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Hammering on a box set into plaster may not be the cleverest thing to
do.

I said 'gently tap'. Use skill.

Much safer to use the self tapper method. Which is why I recommended it.

Gentle tapping on a screwdriver isn't going to cut steel easily. And I
prefer to use my expensive screwdrivers for screws.

--
*Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

Cursitor Doom[_4_] November 22nd 16 06:44 PM

stuff diy

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 14:12:52 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

I had to cut mine in half with the scorpion saw to get it down the
hatch....

You had it easy. I've got to cut up a 2500l plastic oil tank into
sections no larger than 16"x16" 'cos the local recycling facility won't
take it otherwise. Where are all those pesky fly-tippers when you need
one? ;-)

[email protected] November 22nd 16 07:43 PM

stuff diy

On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 18:45:00 UTC, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 14:12:52 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

I had to cut mine in half with the scorpion saw to get it down the
hatch....

You had it easy. I've got to cut up a 2500l plastic oil tank into
sections no larger than 16"x16" 'cos the local recycling facility won't
take it otherwise. Where are all those pesky fly-tippers when you need
one? ;-)

Freecycle, people tale all sorts. Who knows, someone might roof their shed with it.

NT

[email protected] November 22nd 16 07:45 PM

stuff diy

On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 18:45:00 UTC, Cursitor Doom wrote:
You had it easy. I've got to cut up a 2500l plastic oil tank into
sections no larger than 16"x16" 'cos the local recycling facility won't
take it otherwise. Where are all those pesky fly-tippers when you need
one? ;-)

Couldn't you rent it out as a bedsit?

Owain

Roger Hayter[_2_] November 22nd 16 08:23 PM

stuff diy

Jeff Layman wrote:

I often wondered if they put them up and build the roof around them. Or
maybe get them up through the gable end and then brick them in. However
it was done, there was obviously no thought given to the fact that they
might need to be replaced at some stage.

Rightly, as it turned out, because by the time they needed replacing
no-one wanted large galvanised tanks. They preferred plastic ones or
plastic liners, or solutions not involving a storage tank at all.

I had to cut mine in half with the scorpion saw to get it down the hatch....

That's only a problem if you needed to weld it together again.

--

Roger Hayter

Cursitor Doom[_4_] November 22nd 16 09:51 PM

stuff diy

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 11:45:37 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

Couldn't you rent it out as a bedsit?

No Romanians in my area, I'm afraid.

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 23rd 16 08:02 AM

stuff diy

Jeff Layman wrote:

I often wondered if they put them up and build the roof around them.
Or
maybe get them up through the gable end and then brick them in.
However
it was done, there was obviously no thought given to the fact that
they
might need to be replaced at some stage.

Rightly, as it turned out, because by the time they needed replacing
no-one wanted large galvanised tanks. They preferred plastic ones or
plastic liners, or solutions not involving a storage tank at all.

I had to cut mine in half with the scorpion saw to get it down the
hatch....

That's only a problem if you needed to weld it together again.

nope fitted in the back of my wagon r and too the dump...after harvesting
all the fittings.....and no size restriction either ......you should see how
removing it opens up the loft for more storage....even used the spur that
was used for the electric immerse to wire up loft lights....with two 30 w
led bulbs it is like daylight up there .....

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 23rd 16 08:04 AM

stuff diy

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 11:45:37 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

Couldn't you rent it out as a bedsit?

No Romanians in my area, I'm afraid.

don't laugh before I retired I had to remove 13 Poles that were living in
loft ......

Bob Eager[_5_] November 23rd 16 09:44 AM

stuff diy

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 08:04:09 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 11:45:37 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

Couldn't you rent it out as a bedsit?

No Romanians in my area, I'm afraid.

don't laugh before I retired I had to remove 13 Poles that were living
in loft ......

Ah. A multipole switch.

GB November 23rd 16 09:48 AM

stuff diy

On 23/11/2016 09:44, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 08:04:09 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 11:45:37 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

Couldn't you rent it out as a bedsit?

No Romanians in my area, I'm afraid.

don't laugh before I retired I had to remove 13 Poles that were living
in loft ......

Ah. A multipole switch.

There's a club on the Finchley Road that advertises "Pole and Table
Dancing". The Poles are jolly people, who love to dance, but I've never
seen a table dance.

Rod Speed November 23rd 16 09:53 AM

stuff diy

"GB" wrote in message
On 23/11/2016 09:44, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 08:04:09 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 11:45:37 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

Couldn't you rent it out as a bedsit?

No Romanians in my area, I'm afraid.

don't laugh before I retired I had to remove 13 Poles that were living
in loft ......

Ah. A multipole switch.

There's a club on the Finchley Road that advertises "Pole and Table
Dancing". The Poles are jolly people, who love to dance, but I've never
seen a table dance.

Then you didnt use enough whacky weed, stupid.

whisky-dave[_2_] November 23rd 16 10:31 AM

stuff diy

On Wednesday, 23 November 2016 10:00:54 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
On 23/11/2016 09:44, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 08:04:09 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 11:45:37 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

Couldn't you rent it out as a bedsit?

No Romanians in my area, I'm afraid.

don't laugh before I retired I had to remove 13 Poles that were living
in loft ......

Ah. A multipole switch.

There's a club on the Finchley Road that advertises "Pole and Table
Dancing". The Poles are jolly people, who love to dance, but I've never
seen a table dance.

Then you didnt use enough whacky weed, stupid.

Is that what a safty dance is surely you know what that is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 23rd 16 11:11 AM

stuff diy

"GB" wrote in message
On 23/11/2016 09:44, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 08:04:09 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 11:45:37 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

Couldn't you rent it out as a bedsit?

No Romanians in my area, I'm afraid.

don't laugh before I retired I had to remove 13 Poles that were living
in loft ......

Ah. A multipole switch.

There's a club on the Finchley Road that advertises "Pole and Table
Dancing". The Poles are jolly people, who love to dance, but I've never
seen a table dance.

Then you didn't use enough whacky weed, stupid.

Is that what a safty dance is surely you know what that is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs

yes two poles...loved that blonde burd .....

Johnny B Good November 24th 16 03:41 AM

stuff diy

"GB" wrote in message
On 23/11/2016 09:44, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 08:04:09 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 11:45:37 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

Couldn't you rent it out as a bedsit?

No Romanians in my area, I'm afraid.

don't laugh before I retired I had to remove 13 Poles that were
living in loft ......

Ah. A multipole switch.

There's a club on the Finchley Road that advertises "Pole and Table
Dancing". The Poles are jolly people, who love to dance, but I've
never seen a table dance.

Then you didnt use enough whacky weed, stupid.

Is that what a safty dance is surely you know what that is.

I rather suspected you meant *safety* dance! :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs

whilst watching that video, I noticed this Buggles video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwuy4hHO3YQ

which reminded me of this rather nicer version from the B3TA web site:

http://www2.b3ta.com/videokilledtheradiostar/

Unfortunately, the soundtrack no longer seems to play (Opera and FF)
although the following presentations and some of the others still work

http://www2.b3ta.com/heyhey16k/

For those of a certain age, this last one might leave you rather misty
eyed with nostalgia.

--
Johnny B Good