DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Old loft conversion/refurb (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/581420-old-loft-conversion-refurb.html)

[email protected] November 15th 16 08:16 AM

Old loft conversion/refurb

Hi. I'm considering buying a house to refurb and sell on. The roof is knackered and the ceilings of the 80s/90s loft conversion will need to come down and be replaced.

Am I obliged to fit current building regs spec insulation in the void between roof and ceiling, or can I refit to same specification as before? I'm concerned that I might lose some headroom if a whacking great thick layer of insulation is needed.

Cheers.

Terry.

Andy Burns[_13_] November 15th 16 08:25 AM

Old loft conversion/refurb

wrote:

Am I obliged to fit current building regs spec insulation in the void
between roof and ceiling

I believe that if you do significant work to the roof, you are required
to bring the insulation up to modern requirements ... can't find a handy
reference though.

Andy Burns[_13_] November 15th 16 08:35 AM

Old loft conversion/refurb

Andy Burns wrote:

can't find a handy reference

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/47/roof/3

Tim Watts[_3_] November 15th 16 10:10 AM

Old loft conversion/refurb

On 15/11/16 08:16, wrote:
Hi. I'm considering buying a house to refurb and sell on. The roof is knackered and the ceilings of the 80s/90s loft conversion will need to come down and be replaced.

Am I obliged to fit current building regs spec insulation in the void between roof and ceiling, or can I refit to same specification as before? I'm concerned that I might lose some headroom if a whacking great thick layer of insulation is needed.

Cheers.

Terry.

If you are essentially rebuilding the roof, why not make the new roof
slightly bigger and design in insulation to current specs? (Which I am
fairly certain the BCO will require in a job of this type).

If you were merely retiling, he's almost certainly let you off with
something "reasonable" but not to current specs - mine did. I proposed
100mm celotex where possible and 75mm where unfeasible (right down at
the eaves) and it was accepted.

Brian Gaff November 15th 16 12:07 PM

Old loft conversion/refurb

Yes lofts can be unbearably hot in summer without a good deal of insulation.
Not sure about old houses, but a lot of people around here seem to be
raising the height of their roves for loft conversions, so I guess if they
are fitting dormer windows as most seem to be then to keep things in the
same scale it will all need to be higher. I'd hate to think how much that
costs, but people are still doing it on these 1939 terraces with single
walls.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

John Rumm November 15th 16 12:15 PM

Old loft conversion/refurb

On 15/11/2016 08:16, wrote:

Hi. I'm considering buying a house to refurb and sell on. The roof is
knackered and the ceilings of the 80s/90s loft conversion will need
to come down and be replaced.

Am I obliged to fit current building regs spec insulation in the void
between roof and ceiling, or can I refit to same specification as
before? I'm concerned that I might lose some headroom if a whacking
great thick layer of insulation is needed.

If changing a significant amount of a "thermal element", then yes the
change is supposed to be to current standards. However firstly note that
the insulation requirements for a loft conversion are lower than for
other circumstances, and that a pragmatic stance is usually taken but
BCOs etc, so if you are making things better rather than worse, they are
not going to insist you do the impossible.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |