David Aldridge

Default Fitting aerial on roof - how to get up there!

I need to change the aerial on my roof, and I was hoping for some useful
advice before I go up there. The problem is, that the roof is a little
unusual - rather than the normal inverted 'v' there are also side angles too
which are quite sheer. See picture http://www.dmaz.demon.co.uk/house.jpg my
house is also the middle of a terrace, so there's no access from the sides.

So any kind soul feel like giving me some advice? - even if it's 'get a
professional'. (in which case how much do you think that might cost?)

Thanks.

Dave

Roger Mills

David Aldridge wrote in message
I need to change the aerial on my roof, and I was hoping for some useful
advice before I go up there. The problem is, that the roof is a little
unusual - rather than the normal inverted 'v' there are also side angles

too
which are quite sheer. See picture http://www.dmaz.demon.co.uk/house.jpg

my
house is also the middle of a terrace, so there's no access from the

sides.

So any kind soul feel like giving me some advice? - even if it's 'get a
professional'. (in which case how much do you think that might cost?)

Thanks.

Dave

Know anyone with a helicopter? g

Seriously, you'll need two ladders. The first one - probably of the
extending variety needs to lean against what you call the side angles of the
roof, and to reach a little way above the level where the slope changes. The
second one - of the roof variety, with wheels and apex hooks one end - needs
to lie on the final bit of the roof. [You will have to carry this up the
first ladder, slide it up the roof on its wheels, and turn it over when it
gets to the top].

The two ladders then need lashing firmly together - whereupon you can
confidently climb from the first to the second and hence to the top. [I
assume that the aerial mast is fixed to the chimney?].

Roger

BillR

David Aldridge wrote:
I need to change the aerial on my roof, and I was hoping for some
useful advice before I go up there. The problem is, that the roof is
a little unusual - rather than the normal inverted 'v' there are also
side angles too which are quite sheer. See picture
http://www.dmaz.demon.co.uk/house.jpg my house is also the middle of
a terrace, so there's no access from the sides.

So any kind soul feel like giving me some advice? - even if it's 'get
a professional'. (in which case how much do you think that might
cost?)

Get a professional in. Your life is not worth it. Cost £150.
Reminds me of the story of the guy who threw rope over roof to hold onto in
such a situation.
He tied it to towball of car. Wife did not know and drove car off pulling
guy over roof to his death.

Andrew McKay

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:21:27 +0100, "BillR"
wrote:

Reminds me of the story of the guy who threw rope over roof to hold onto in
such a situation.
He tied it to towball of car. Wife did not know and drove car off pulling
guy over roof to his death.

Was that just after she renewed his life insurance?

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk

"David Aldridge"

I need to change the aerial on my roof, and I was hoping for some useful
advice before I go up there.

Can't help with your problem, David, but do be careful if you get up on the
roof.

I have a vivid memory as a child of about 4, watching our first aerial
installed in about 1951. The installer was on his own and used a single
long ladder with no safety equipment, and managed to kick the top of the
ladder once he was on the roof. The ladder fell over, of course.

Our garden was on the side of a hill and we had to climb a number of steps
to reach it, so we kids were able to watch on a level with the roof. I
remember staring with fascination, wondering what this man was doing,
shouting and hanging onto our roof for dear life. We hadn't even realised
what was going on, since the TV was meant to be a surprise for us, and we'd
just been sent up into the garden to keep us safely out of the way while he
was working.

Thankfully, eventually we realised there was a problem and ran to get Mum
who managed to reposition the ladder.

Barbara

BigWallop

wrote in message
"David Aldridge"

[...]

ROFLMAO !!!!! Now that's a memory worth holding on to. :-))

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

John Flax

"David Aldridge" wrote in message
I need to change the aerial on my roof, and I was hoping for some useful
advice before I go up there. The problem is, that the roof is a little
unusual - rather than the normal inverted 'v' there are also side angles

too
which are quite sheer. See picture http://www.dmaz.demon.co.uk/house.jpg

my
house is also the middle of a terrace, so there's no access from the

sides.

So any kind soul feel like giving me some advice? - even if it's 'get a
professional'. (in which case how much do you think that might cost?)

Thanks.

Dave

Have you considered putting an aerial in the loft?

Brendan DJ Murphy

have you considered a satellite dish instead?

If you dont want to subscribe to Murdoch's empire, you can still get a dish
and digibox without subscription and
You can get BBC, ITV and CH4 without subscription.

The cost of dish,digibox + professional installation is similar to that of a
TV aerial!

Of course, if you are tempted to subscribe to more channels, then the cost
of the dish, digibox and installation is next to nothing! (minimum contract
12 months)

Brendan.

If you dont like the Murdoch empire
"David Aldridge" wrote in message
I need to change the aerial on my roof, and I was hoping for some useful
advice before I go up there. The problem is, that the roof is a little
unusual - rather than the normal inverted 'v' there are also side angles

too
which are quite sheer. See picture http://www.dmaz.demon.co.uk/house.jpg

my
house is also the middle of a terrace, so there's no access from the

sides.

So any kind soul feel like giving me some advice? - even if it's 'get a
professional'. (in which case how much do you think that might cost?)

Thanks.

Dave

Wanderer

David Aldridge wrote:
I need to change the aerial on my roof, and I was hoping for some
useful advice before I go up there. The problem is, that the roof is
a little unusual - rather than the normal inverted 'v' there are also
side angles too which are quite sheer. See picture
http://www.dmaz.demon.co.uk/house.jpg my house is also the middle of
a terrace, so there's no access from the sides.

So any kind soul feel like giving me some advice? - even if it's 'get
a professional'. (in which case how much do you think that might
cost?)

Get a professional in. Your life is not worth it. Cost £150.

Yup, I'd second that. Don't do a Rod Hull.......

"David Aldridge" wrote in message
I need to change the aerial on my roof, and I was hoping for some useful
advice before I go up there. The problem is, that the roof is a little
unusual - rather than the normal inverted 'v' there are also side angles

too
which are quite sheer.

That is a Mansard roof, named for a French Renaissance architect (whose name
was actually Mansart). I would not consider it unusual, although it is
probably more widely used in continental Europe.

So any kind soul feel like giving me some advice? - even if it's 'get a
professional'. (in which case how much do you think that might cost?)

Personally, I always get aerials fitted by a professional. It is relatively
inexpensive and, as I always seem to live in a marginal area, it avoids me
having to spend ages on a roof, trying to get the best signal strength.

If you do want to DIY, you need a ladder that will run up to the ridge at
the join of the two roof slopes and a roof ladder to take you from there to
the top ridge. I have always fitted a row of strong eye bolts, about every
four feet or so, under my gutters. I use a rope to a couple of those to
secure the top of any ladder I am going to use to access the roof from. You
should also lash the access ladder to the roof ladder, when you have it in
position. Stepping over the top of the access ladder onto the roof ladder is
always the fun bit.

Colin Bignell

Dave Plowman

In article ,
David Aldridge wrote:
I need to change the aerial on my roof, and I was hoping for some useful
advice before I go up there. The problem is, that the roof is a little
unusual - rather than the normal inverted 'v' there are also side angles
too which are quite sheer. See picture
http://www.dmaz.demon.co.uk/house.jpg my house is also the middle of a
terrace, so there's no access from the sides.

So any kind soul feel like giving me some advice? - even if it's 'get a
professional'. (in which case how much do you think that might cost?)

Safety wise, it's one of these things that if you have to ask, you'd be
better getting a pro in.

--
*Ah, I see the f**k-up fairy has visited us again

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Essjay001

Tim Mitchell wrote:
In article , Brendan DJ Murphy
writes
have you considered a satellite dish instead?

If you dont want to subscribe to Murdoch's empire, you can still get
a dish and digibox without subscription and
You can get BBC, ITV and CH4 without subscription.

I'm not sure this is true any more, I don't believe you can get ITV /
C4 / C5 on dsat without a subscription since a couple of weeks ago,
because nobody is issuing the cards any more.

Yes you can I have been watching terrestrial tv through a satdish for about
six months now

--

Steve R

---
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

Tim Mitchell

In article , Essjay001
writes
Tim Mitchell wrote:
In article , Brendan DJ Murphy
writes
have you considered a satellite dish instead?

If you dont want to subscribe to Murdoch's empire, you can still get
a dish and digibox without subscription and
You can get BBC, ITV and CH4 without subscription.

I'm not sure this is true any more, I don't believe you can get ITV /
C4 / C5 on dsat without a subscription since a couple of weeks ago,
because nobody is issuing the cards any more.

Yes you can I have been watching terrestrial tv through a satdish for about
six months now

Yes, if you already have the FTV card, but for a NEW setup I don't think
it's possible because you cannot get the FTV card any more.

There is also some talk of Sky changing the encryption so that even
existing FTV cards will not work.

This does not apply to BBC channels as they have gone unencrypted, which
is what caused the whole situation.
--
Tim Mitchell
David Hearn

"Essjay001" wrote in message
Tim Mitchell wrote:
In article , Brendan DJ Murphy
writes
have you considered a satellite dish instead?

If you dont want to subscribe to Murdoch's empire, you can still get
a dish and digibox without subscription and
You can get BBC, ITV and CH4 without subscription.

I'm not sure this is true any more, I don't believe you can get ITV /
C4 / C5 on dsat without a subscription since a couple of weeks ago,
because nobody is issuing the cards any more.

Yes you can I have been watching terrestrial tv through a satdish for

about
six months now

If you have a FTV card (ie. not a Sky subscription), then I'm pretty sure
you'll find that you'll lose all non BBC channels shortly.

As of July 11th, BBC moved from FTV (encrypted and need a 'free' card) to
FTA (no encryption, no card needed). BBC was the major source of cash for
the card issuance, and now that BBC have pulled out of that (no need for
cards, so why should the BBC fund it), the FTV market has collapsed (ie. you
can no longer get any more FTV cards). This means that you can't get a new
card.

There's also some dispute about the future. Some people (even with the 2nd
issue Sky cards who have closed their subscription and are now just FTV
cards) have found that ITV, C4 and C5 are now no longer viewable without a
full Sky subscription. AFAIK, these channels are now pulling out of the FTV
market (without a card issuer - there is no future in FTV) and will shortly
(if not already) require a full Sky subscription to get ITV, C4 and C5.

Any dispute about this? Don't ask me - go to uk.tech.digital-tv where this
has been discussed to death for months.

The Natural Philosopher

nightjar wrote:

"David Aldridge" wrote in message

I need to change the aerial on my roof, and I was hoping for some useful
advice before I go up there. The problem is, that the roof is a little
unusual - rather than the normal inverted 'v' there are also side angles

too

which are quite sheer.

That is a Mansard roof, named for a French Renaissance architect (whose name
was actually Mansart). I would not consider it unusual, although it is
probably more widely used in continental Europe.

I thiught it was a Dutch Gable actually.

[...]

John Laird

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:04:47 +0100, nightjar wrote:

Stepping over the top of the access ladder onto the roof ladder is
always the fun bit.

I've never done it, but I always imagined that the coming back down is even
worse. At least going up, you can see what you're doing.

--
John

That is a Mansard roof, named for a French Renaissance architect (whose

name
was actually Mansart). I would not consider it unusual, although it is
probably more widely used in continental Europe.

I thiught it was a Dutch Gable actually.

A Dutch gable is a flat wall with curved sides that forms the end of a piece
of roof.

To be pedantic, a Mansard roof should have four sides, but the term has been
adopted for any double pitched roof. It is also known as a Second Empire
roof, from its wide use in France during that period.

Colin Bignell

David Aldridge

"John Flax" wrote in message

Have you considered putting an aerial in the loft?

I could - but its a squeeze getting up there!

I need to get a good strong reception - what would the difference in
reception be?

Dave.

"John Laird" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:04:47 +0100, nightjar wrote:

Stepping over the top of the access ladder onto the roof ladder is
always the fun bit.

I've never done it, but I always imagined that the coming back down is

even
worse. At least going up, you can see what you're doing.

In my experience, by the time I am ready to come down, I have become
accustomed to working at height and it is no great deal.

Colin Bignell

Owain

"David Aldridge" wrote
| "John Flax" wrote
| Have you considered putting an aerial in the loft?
| I could - but its a squeeze getting up there!
| I need to get a good strong reception - what would the difference
| in reception be?

Could be as little as 10% of an external rooftop aerial.

Owain

The Natural Philosopher

David Aldridge wrote:

"John Flax" wrote in message

Have you considered putting an aerial in the loft?

I could - but its a squeeze getting up there!

I need to get a good strong reception - what would the difference in
reception be?

That depends entirely on how high up it is, what teh roof is made of and
where you are in locatin to teh transmitter.

In my case recpetion is perfect ith a GOOD loft mounted aerial, pointed
at my local transmitter, which is almost direct line of sight about 12
miles away.

I am going sideways through conventional tiles at that point. chicken
wire coated thatch part of roof proved less optimal :-)

Dave.

Dave

Reminds me of the story of the guy who threw rope over roof to hold
onto in such a situation.
He tied it to towball of car. Wife did not know and drove car off
pulling guy over roof to his death.

Ya gotta larf!

Who says Darwin didnt know what he was talking about :-)

"BigWallop" wrote in message

ROFLMAO !!!!! Now that's a memory worth holding on to. :-))

Thanks. Unlike another memory which would probably amuse others just as
much - but didn't me at the time :-)

When I was much younger I lived alone in a first floor flat. The flat of
the elderly woman below was slightly larger than mine so that there was a
small bit of sloping roof, over her bedroom, outside one of my windows. Her
bedroom ceiling developed a very irritating leak and it was fairly obvious
that a small area between the roof and a ridge might be the cause. It
looked as if a good helping of mastic might solve the problem, at least
temporarily.

Neither of us had money to throw away, the landlord took about 5 years to
deal with any such problem, and I'm disinclined to ask friends to do a job
if I can manage it well enough myself, so I decided to try DIY. Lacking a
long enough ladder, the obvious route was to climb out of the window and
cross about 3 feet of roof. There was a sturdy concrete ridge I could sit
on to do the work. I wasn't stupid: I roped myself very securely to the
window so that I couldn't have fallen far, and asked the old lady to be
there while I did the job so there was someone to dial 999 if anything went
wrong.

Everything went brilliantly until the time came to get myself back inside.
Then I panicked, I couldn't work out for the life of me how to stand up
from my safe little perch get back inside, and the three feet to the window
seemed a mile. It must have taken about 10 minutes for me to talk myself
back to rational thought - it seemed like hours. But phoning for help would
have seemed like a greater embarrassment even than falling - I could just
imagine all those macho firemen having a giggle behind my back at this silly
panicking woman.

Once I got my head together, of course, the trip back to safety was very
easy and entirely uneventful. But I've never tried it again, and that
memory is one I'd rather forget!

Barbara

Ben Blaney

David Aldridge wrote:

even if it's 'get a
professional'. (in which case how much do you think that might cost?)

Get a professional. They'll advertise in the classifieds in your local
paper.

I got a firm to run an FM spur to my bedroom (I'm a Radio Four junkie)
and they stung me 30ukp. Obviously your situation is more complex,
needing a new aerial (replacing, presumably?), so they'll advise on
specification and do the job for you.

It's not much help, but hth.

--
Ben Blaney
GSF1200 VFR800 CBR600 CD200
tony sayer

In article , Dave Plowman
writes
In article ,
David Aldridge wrote:
I need to change the aerial on my roof, and I was hoping for some useful
advice before I go up there. The problem is, that the roof is a little
unusual - rather than the normal inverted 'v' there are also side angles
too which are quite sheer. See picture
http://www.dmaz.demon.co.uk/house.jpg my house is also the middle of a
terrace, so there's no access from the sides.

So any kind soul feel like giving me some advice? - even if it's 'get a
professional'. (in which case how much do you think that might cost?)

Safety wise, it's one of these things that if you have to ask, you'd be
better getting a pro in.

Really suggest that you get a rigger in for this one and a CAI member
that knows what he's doing and check he's insured. Those tiles look like
a disaster area to me. They'll be a roofing ladder required and
something to take or spread the load under that where it meets the
extension ladder up from the ground. Also you'll need someone who is
used to what he's doing not to break and tiles whilst lashing the
chimney.

Just get a pro in for this one. I used to do this work years ago on a
daily basis and I wouldn't fancy this one:-((..

And I know what I'm doing!..
--
Tony Sayer

BigWallop

wrote in message
"BigWallop" wrote in message

[...]

ROFLMAO !!!! I've been there, and like you, it is not a thought I like to
bring to the fore' to often. My kingdom for a video camera just to capture
the moment. :-)) LOL Those firemen guys must see some lovely sights mind.

My worst nightmare was realised when, not long after leaving school and
starting my apprenticeship, in the mines. Only months into the job, and
having taken all the usual banter and pranks from my elders, one Saturday
morning, quite early hours, a cry went up for everyone to drop to the floor
and keep still. Well, the way in which the cry went out, you just knew that
something major was in the offing. Suddenly a loud cracking and creaking
sound could be heard to echo through the rather narrow shaft in which we
were pulling cables.

Then, in one foul swoop, the ground fell away from below our feet and the
ceiling begun to sag with a very alarming bow. Yes, you've guest it, a
"minor" earth movement and the ends of the tunnel where we where, had sealed
over. Now, I panicked and wanted to run around screaming and thought I'd
start to haul stone and rubble out of the walls, until, just one firm hand
gripped my shoulder and told me to calm down and that help was only a few
feet away on the other side of the mass. I realised that my elder was
correct and started to breath a bit easier.

But what really calmed me down was the words he said in his usual slow
lumbering way " I hope this means we're getting over-time for this " he
said, "We've only got an hour to go 'till the end of the shift". Well I
fell on to my knees with laughter. Here we where, sitting in the shadow of
torch light, trapped under god knows how much fallen earth, and all that old
bugger could think about, was if he was getting extra money for being on
site longer than he should be.

From that day on, I've never really been afraid to show my emotions. Be it
fear followed with a cry for help, or a pain that needs verbal comforting.
So take it from me, if you ever find yourself in such a position again as
being stuck high up on a narrow ledge, just try to keep in mind that others
can help, and if you think you need them to come to the rescue, then scream
at the top of your voice to make sure you're heard. Because we were stuck
down there for three and a bit hours, and we had to wait to be check over by
doctors and nurses, then I missed my bus home and had to wait another hour
for the next one. But the salt was really rubbed in when I only got time
and a half for the first three hours over my finishing time.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

tony sayer

In article , Owain
writes
"David Aldridge" wrote
| "John Flax" wrote
| Have you considered putting an aerial in the loft?
| I could - but its a squeeze getting up there!
| I need to get a good strong reception - what would the difference
| in reception be?

Could be as little as 10% of an external rooftop aerial.

Owain

But far more likely to be much greater than this. Depends on what the
signal field is like in your area. What frequency group the local TX is
on, the higher number channels are more lossy. What the roof's made of
and what, if any, foil there is in the felt. What metalwork there is in
the roof. Whether or not you want DTV etc...

Consider if it costs you a hundred pounds set that over say ten years
and that's about tenner a year for a good as possible picture, and then
think how many hours you'll be using the TV over that time.

Any BTW use a good down lead CT 100 the stuff they use for satellite
receivers. A bit more expense, but far better than the string they sell
as low loss TV cable..

Money well spent...
--
Tony Sayer

Toby

"tony sayer" wrote
, Owain writes
"David Aldridge" wrote
| "John Flax" wrote

If you don't yet live in a Freeview(DTT) area, then a wideband aerial may be
an idea.
In many areas the analogue and DTT signals are in different groups, so a
type W aerial is required.

--
Toby.

NTL. Bringing you yesterday's news today, and a bit of last week's. Maybe.

"BigWallop" wrote

Glad your escaped ended well too. I can picture it. Perched on a narrow
ledge, rope tied around your waste, and a great big fire engine with a
bucket, and two big, burly firemen cutting you free and plucking you from
the heights. Yes, better that you got yourself out of danger, Eh ? :-))

Go on, rub salt into the wound..........

Barbara grin

David Aldridge

Default Fitting aerial on roof - how to get up there! - THANKS

THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP!

I have decided that I'd rather be safe, so I'll pay someone to put one up -
I've had a quote of £105 for the complete job including a high gain aerial
for DTV and all the bits and running the cable into my lounge which seems
reasonable.

Thanks Again

Dave.

[...]

It does sound so - and a wise choice, I think.

Despite my amusing memories, there can be a very serious side when
inexperienced people climb ladders or fail to ensure they have the right
safety equipment. My brother was painting an upstairs window when the
ladder slipped. He landed on his feet but pain later forced him to go to
the hospital. He'd cracked 3 vertebrae and had to spend six weeks flat on
his back in hospital.

If that wasn't bad enough, there was a work to rule of hospital staff at the
time. That meant his care wasn't as good as it might usually have been and
every visitor had the unnerving experience of walking through a vocal, not
particularly friendly, picket line - some ancillary staff seemed to think
patients' visitors should be banned in support of their pay claim. That was
very frightening for his small children who badly needed to visit him often
for the reassurance that Daddy, who had suddenly disappeared from their
world, was ok.

He recovered fully. His son, aged about three at the time and a very
sensitive child, had seen the accident and the consequences, and it took him
far longer to recover from the distress and the nightmares that one day
Daddy wouldn't come back.

Barbara