DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   IMM fodder (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/5630-imm-fodder.html)

John Rumm February 1st 04 05:51 PM

IMM fodder

Dave Plowman wrote:

It's all too easy to pick on just one reason why an election is lost - or
won. IMHO, it's often because the electorate is simply fed up of *any*
government and want a change. After all, the opposition have been telling

Very true... Lets face it, that was how Tony got in with a slightly
warmed over tory manifesto!

them for the past few years that they'd make a *much* better job of it.
But rarely do...

Alas also true... I like the suggestion from Billy Connoly - that the
desire to be a politician ought to immediately bar you from ever being one!

--
Cheers,

John.

Jerry. February 1st 04 05:54 PM

IMM fodder

"IMM" wrote in message

bloody big snip

It never will as its a great report.

You are Lord Hutton and I claim my 5 pounds !

Jerry. February 1st 04 05:56 PM

IMM fodder

"IMM" wrote in message

"Jerry." wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"PoP" wrote in message
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 00:40:42 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Demonstrating their grasp of all things IT, they released the MS

Word
document complete with its (hidden embedded) list of recent

editors
and
revisions still in it:-

http://www.computerbytesman.com/privacy/blair.htm

Was this reported to Hutton, or did he declare it was outside of his
remit?

He said it was not sexed up at all. Great report. Top judge, went to

snot skule and snot uni too.

snip drivel

No you didn't snip the drivel, you left your attribution intact ! :~)

IMM February 1st 04 06:08 PM

IMM fodder

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Dave Plowman wrote:

It's all too easy to pick on just one reason
why an election is lost - or won. IMHO, it's
often because the electorate is simply fed up of *any*
government and want a change. After all, the
opposition have been telling
them for the past few years that they'd make
a *much* better job of it. But rarely do...

Very true... Lets face it, that was how
Tony got in with a slightly
warmed over tory manifesto!

What balls! The country was ****ed off after 18 years of poverty and
deprivation. The 1970 election was one which Wilson took it for granted he
would win. Everything was fine: the economy, no unemployment, kept us out
of Viet Nam, everything on the up and up, yet this turkey Heath got in
against the odds. No need for change, yet the public went with the right
wing media, which is most of the media.

IMM February 1st 04 06:09 PM

IMM fodder

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Ben Blaney wrote:

Or maybe my memory is playing up, but I could have sworn the IMF had to
bail out the Calleghan government as a result of the complete horlicks
they made of the economy...

There was slightly more to it than you imply.

I appreciate that - was just keeping it simple for IMM - complex
explanations seem to go straight over his head. ;-)

You mean I am not swayed by strange opinions and plain lies....and weirdoes.

Dave Plowman February 1st 04 06:10 PM

IMM fodder

In article ,
Jerry. wrote:
Sorry but the '74 mining strike / was / both responsible for the
election and caused the result - Heath went to the country and asked the
voting public to either back him or sack him in his dealing with the
miners strike.

That's rather assuming too much. Any number of things could have had the
same result - you are assuming the electors took notice of the question
and voted purely on that.

--
*I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Jerry. February 1st 04 06:15 PM

IMM fodder

"Jerry." wrote in message

snip

A little history for IMM.
Ted Heath's Government ended in '73

snip

Just to correct myself.
Actually it was Feb '74, the miners strike was during the '73 - 74 winter.

geoff February 1st 04 06:22 PM

IMM fodder

In message , John Rumm
writes
Dave Plowman wrote:

It's all too easy to pick on just one reason why an election is lost - or
won. IMHO, it's often because the electorate is simply fed up of *any*
government and want a change. After all, the opposition have been telling

Very true... Lets face it, that was how Tony got in with a slightly
warmed over tory manifesto!

them for the past few years that they'd make a *much* better job of it.
But rarely do...

Alas also true... I like the suggestion from Billy Connoly - that the
desire to be a politician ought to immediately bar you from ever being
one!

Hardly a Billy Connolly original, it's based on a saying of Groucho Marx
which he probably nicked from somewhere before that
--
geoff

Clive Summerfield February 1st 04 06:34 PM

IMM fodder

"IMM" wrote in message

"Jerry." wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Jerry." wrote in message

snip garbage

I really am hitting a nerve with you...

No. I just snip garbage when I see it.

Don't look in the mirror then....

Cheers
Clive

Jerry. February 1st 04 06:52 PM

IMM fodder

"IMM" wrote in message

"Jerry." wrote in message

snip

Sorry but the '74 mining strike / was / both responsible for the

election
and caused the result - Heath went to the country and asked the voting
public to either back him or sack him in his dealing with the miners

strike.

Not so.

IMM, you are a class one tosser and this is getting pointless as you seem to
refuse to believe history - are you are trying to rewrite history like
Starlin and Chairman Mow(sp?) did?!

If heath did not say he was calling the election due to the miners shrike
why did Wilson end his introduction to the Labour parties manifesto for the
February election with the following words;

quote
This Election is not about the miners. They are in the firing line
today. The housewife has been in the firing line ever since
Mr. Heath was elected. Let us now choose a Government willing
to face up to Britain's problems; let us elect a Government of all
the people; let us work together.

Harold Wilson
/quote

Dave Plowman February 1st 04 07:45 PM

IMM fodder

In article ,
Jerry. wrote:
It sound like you think Wilson didn't have the balls to impose the
correct policies to get the economy back on track, he had bee in power
for at least a year before he went to the IMF - that is after allowing
even more money to flow out of the exchequer in the form of high public
sector wage setelments.

I was in the public sector at that time, and public sector pay rises
didn't keep pace with inflation.

Of course, it's nice for those who don't work in the public sector to
expect those who do to take a *real* cut in their standard of living,
through pay freezes etc, to try help contain inflation, but don't expect
it to apply to them.

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

PoP February 1st 04 08:05 PM

IMM fodder

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:05:09 +0000, geoff wrote:

He's a bit like you Minimie - he just can't see that he's wrong in the
face of overwhelming evidence

Oh please, let's not put Dubya in the same starting block as IMM.
Surely Dubya has to been at least one level above!

PoP

Sending email to my published email address isn't
guaranteed to reach me.

Jerry. February 1st 04 08:17 PM

IMM fodder

"IMM" wrote in message

snip

Maxie, I am the world's greatest debater.

But not the best at spelling though, you miss spelt the last word - there
should have been the letters 'MAS' at the beginning of the last word...

Jerry. February 1st 04 08:30 PM

IMM fodder

"IMM" wrote in message

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Dave Plowman wrote:

It's all too easy to pick on just one reason
why an election is lost - or won. IMHO, it's
often because the electorate is simply fed up of *any*
government and want a change. After all, the
opposition have been telling
them for the past few years that they'd make
a *much* better job of it. But rarely do...

Very true... Lets face it, that was how
Tony got in with a slightly
warmed over tory manifesto!

What balls! The country was ****ed off after 18 years of poverty and
deprivation.

No, the main reason was sleaze.
Labour was caused problems due to apparent sleaze in Liverpool (despite Mr
Kinocks attempts to deal with it, at great risk to his leadership) and then
there was that seat won by Martin Bell [1], if Blair doesn't handle the
present situation he might well also go due to apparent sleaze over the
Hutton report.

Hatton, Hatton, Hutton - Is there some of a trend appearing ?.....

[1] an ex BBC man, there must something about the BBC honesty and
reliability. :~)

Jerry. February 1st 04 08:34 PM

IMM fodder

"IMM" wrote in message

"Jerry." wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Jerry." wrote in message

snip

Sorry but the '74 mining strike / was / both responsible for the

election
and caused the result - Heath went to the country and asked the

voting
public to either back him or sack him in his dealing with the miners
strike.

Not so.

snip drivel

Either contest what I say or just FOAD, snipping what you don't want to see
is not going change history.

So I will say again...

Jerry. February 1st 04 08:37 PM

IMM fodder

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
In article ,
Jerry. wrote:
Sorry but the '74 mining strike / was / both responsible for the
election and caused the result - Heath went to the country and asked the
voting public to either back him or sack him in his dealing with the
miners strike.

That's rather assuming too much. Any number of things could have had the
same result - you are assuming the electors took notice of the question
and voted purely on that.

I think it is safe to say that when people were having their power turned
off on a rota and only working 3 days out of 7 it would be high in their
minds, but I take your point Dave.

Jerry. February 1st 04 08:44 PM

IMM fodder

"IMM" wrote in message

"Jerry." wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Jerry." wrote in message

"John Rumm" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

Every Tory government since the war has left the country in an
economic
mess, while Labour have left office with it sound. FACT!

Are you in some sort of reality distortion vortex?

No, let me know what it is like in there.

snip

Who are you talking to, certainly not me.

Do you mean you are not in there?

You were not replying to what I said but to what people previous to I said,
you should have replied to their posting and not mine. You were in effect
confusing the situation and suggesting (by breaking established reply
formats) that I had in fact said those things you were replying to.

Jerry. February 1st 04 08:50 PM

IMM fodder

"IMM" wrote in message

"Jerry." wrote in message
attributions corrected

"IMM" wrote in message

"John Rumm" wrote in message

snip

Or perhaps a revisionist?

Or maybe my memory is playing up,
but I could have sworn the IMF had to
bail out the Calleghan government as
a result of the complete horlicks
they made of the economy...

1975, with Wilson, about a year after inheriting Heath's failed

economics.
I was in the USA and an American was mentioning it in a sneering way.

At
the time New York was going bankrupt, which I had to reminded him of,

and
that no British city was anywhere near that.

snip
Power cuts were under Heath. When power workers and miner went out.

Most
were earning buttons

The government went to the IMF due to the country spending more than the
country could afford, some of which was due to escalating public sector

wage
costs and the subsidisation of that sector of the economy. The IMF, in
loaning the money told the UK government what and how they should run

the
economy, this later caused the problems which ended up in what is now

called
the 'Winter of discontent'.

It doesn't matter which flavour of government is in power, they all have
their successes and they have their failures - looking at any government
with rose tinted glasses on does no one any favour.

Well don't do that then.

It is you who is looking through the rose tinted glasses, everyone else
seems to be talking about what really happened, be that the Huttom report,
the winter of discontent or the '73-4 miners strike.

What's your middle name, Stalin, he re-wrote history books as well....

Jerry. February 1st 04 08:52 PM

IMM fodder

"IMM" wrote in message

"Jerry." wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Ben Blaney" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:

Or maybe my memory is playing up, but I could have sworn the IMF

had
bail out the Calleghan government as a result of the complete

horlicks
they made of the economy...

There was slightly more to it than you imply.

Like Heath screwing it up, Wilson having to borrow money and putting

the
economy on track for Thatcher to again screw it up. Well in Tory eye

it
was
fine, as the rich became richer and the poor poorer under the Tories,

so
why
should they care about the masses.

being devils advocate

snip him being devils advocate

In other words you can't argue, as you now truth never lies....

Jerry. February 1st 04 08:54 PM

IMM fodder

"IMM" wrote in message

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Ben Blaney wrote:

Or maybe my memory is playing up, but I could have sworn the IMF had

bail out the Calleghan government as a result of the complete horlicks
they made of the economy...

There was slightly more to it than you imply.

I appreciate that - was just keeping it simple for IMM - complex
explanations seem to go straight over his head. ;-)

You mean I am not swayed by strange opinions and plain lies....and

weirdoes.

You obviously have never heard a recording of yourself then, let alone
looking at yourself in the bathroom (word added in case IMM think I am
referring to the Daily) mirror. :~)

Jerry. February 1st 04 08:55 PM

IMM fodder

"IMM" wrote in message

"Jerry." wrote in message

snip
snip garbage

I really am hitting a nerve with you...

No. I just snip garbage when I see it.

More like the truth you don't like.

Clive Summerfield February 1st 04 09:14 PM

IMM fodder

"Jerry." wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Jerry." wrote in message
attributions corrected

"IMM" wrote in message

"John Rumm" wrote in message

snip

Or perhaps a revisionist?

[...]

Nah, he behaves more like Arthur Scargill, an un-reformed Stalinist if ever
I met one.

Cheers
Clive

Jerry. February 1st 04 10:04 PM

IMM fodder

"Clive Summerfield" wrote in message
"Jerry." wrote in message

snip

[ re IMM ]

What's your middle name, Stalin, he re-wrote history books as well....

Nah, he behaves more like Arthur Scargill, an un-reformed Stalinist if

ever
I met one.

I don't think he, Arthur Scargill, has never re-written history books though
although I suspect he would like to turn back history though !..

Jerry. February 1st 04 10:05 PM

IMM fodder

Jerry. wrote:
It sound like you think Wilson didn't have the balls to impose the
correct policies to get the economy back on track, he had bee in power
for at least a year before he went to the IMF - that is after allowing
even more money to flow out of the exchequer in the form of high public
sector wage setelments.

I was in the public sector at that time, and public sector pay rises
didn't keep pace with inflation.

Of course, it's nice for those who don't work in the public sector to
expect those who do to take a *real* cut in their standard of living,
through pay freezes etc, to try help contain inflation, but don't expect
it to apply to them.

AIUI many peoples pay didn't keep pace with inflation, public or private,
but those who had the industrial mussel...

What would have been the effect if the BBC (?) had been hit by a strike,
more babies in nine months time or lost production more or less across the
board in the manufacturing sector (as happened due to power cuts etc. in the
miners strike) ?

I suppose Wilson / Calleghan should have gone to the IMF earlier than they
did. As for 'hatcher, she just used the threat of unemployment to fund the
public sector....

StealthUK February 1st 04 10:25 PM

IMM fodder

I don't know where this thread sprung out of but here is my two
pennies worth.....

Anyone who has a clue about UK/US weaponry knows full well that Iraq
could never have attacked us or it's neighbours without being
flattened.

Hutton is an arse. If that dossier was not sexed up then I'd like to
know how he defines 'sexed up'. To change text so it implied Saddam
would use WMD in an offensive rather than defensive capacity is more
than sexing up.

Much of the 'intelligence' was provided by the INC and other Saddam
opposition groups. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to have worked
out this may have been false. The US/UK governments knew it was crud
but were happy to use anything to help their own agenda. Now in the
USA, GW wants an enquiry to find out why American intelligence got it
wrong. Spare me the bull, Mr Bush.

John Rumm February 1st 04 11:23 PM

IMM fodder

For the benefit of our readers we are proud to present the:

IMM to English Dictionary (concise edition)

snip drivel :
This phrase is used by IMM as a universal response. Roughly translated:
it means that in the face of irrefutable evidence he has exhausted
capability to present any rational challenge, argument, or debate, and
instead inserts this response as a way of saying - "I am powerless to
respond".

Keen IMM spotters should also watch for the "land ownership diversion"
(TM). This is another argument tactic that is interjected seemingly at
random into unrelated discussions; its purpose is to try to divert the
readers attention from the actual topic of discussion, and in particular
that fact that due to several previous responses - of growing
implausibility - he has created a situation where again he is unable to
present any valid response or worthwhile contribution to the discussion.

Note that the snip drivel and "land ownership diversion" responses
may be used interchangably.

--
Cheers,

John.

IMM February 2nd 04 12:06 AM

IMM fodder

"Jerry." wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

snip

Maxie, I am the world's greatest debater.

But not the best at spelling though, you miss spelt the last word - there
should have been the letters 'MAS' at the beginning of the last word...

My God! Another one.

IMM February 2nd 04 12:07 AM

IMM fodder

"StealthUK" wrote in message
m...

I don't know where this thread sprung out of but here is my two
pennies worth.....

snip. Great report, even the BBC said they have to get it 100% right, not
nearly

IMM February 2nd 04 12:09 AM

IMM fodder

"Jerry." wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Jerry." wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Jerry." wrote in message

snip

[...]

That was spin. Not new.

IMM February 2nd 04 12:11 AM

IMM fodder

"Jerry." wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Jerry." wrote in message
attributions corrected

"IMM" wrote in message

"John Rumm" wrote in message

snip

Or perhaps a revisionist?

[...]

Are you onto the 1926 strike yet?

IMM February 2nd 04 12:14 AM

IMM fodder

Jerry. wrote:
[...]

She never. When she came to power soon after North sea oil came on line.
She squandered it paying the unemployed who suffered by her strange
economics.

IMM February 2nd 04 12:15 AM

IMM fodder

"Jerry." wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Jerry." wrote in message

snip
snip garbage

I really am hitting a nerve with you...

No. I just snip garbage when I see it.

More like the truth you don't like.

Great report. very truthful.

geoff February 2nd 04 01:16 AM

IMM fodder

In message , IMM
writes

"StealthUK" wrote in message
om...

I don't know where this thread sprung out of but here is my two
pennies worth.....

snip. Great report, even the BBC said they have to get it 100% right, not
nearly

Bloody hell, "minimie has discovered how to switch full headers off"
shocker

--
geoff

PoP February 2nd 04 07:27 AM

IMM fodder

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 23:23:58 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

For the benefit of our readers we are proud to present the:

IMM to English Dictionary (concise edition)

You forgot the constant reference to the Vicar of Dibley, a TV program
to which he seems besotted, and which he firmly believes a number of
our active forum community are role players within.

Clive Summerfield February 2nd 04 08:06 AM

IMM fodder

"Jerry." wrote in message

"Clive Summerfield" wrote in message
"Jerry." wrote in message

snip

[ re IMM ]

What's your middle name, Stalin, he re-wrote history books as well....

Nah, he behaves more like Arthur Scargill, an un-reformed Stalinist if

ever
I met one.

I don't think he, Arthur Scargill, has never re-written history books

though
although I suspect he would like to turn back history though !..

Well, he may not have rewritten any history books, but he certainly used to
play fast and loose with his personal history. I've heard at least 3
different stories from him explaining his departure from the Communist
Party. Interesting person, if a little odd and very out-of-touch.

Cheers
Clive

The Natural Philosopher February 2nd 04 09:07 AM

IMM fodder

geoff wrote:

And it looks like Bush has abandoned his lapdog. There's going to be an
inquiry into the reasons for going to war (Bush's only way out with
elections coming up). This will leave Bliar alone, isolated and up ****
creek if the results aren't sympathetic

Oh dear. I do feel awful....:-)