Sam Norris

Default Myson Apollo boiler: No pilot light.

Hi,

My Myson Apollo 30B boiler now longer works. There's no pilot light.
While holding in the gas button I don't hear a hiss like my dodgy memory
suggests I did last time I lit the pilot light some years ago. Pressing
the spark button doesn't visibly do anything and no pilot flame ever
appears.

I've a call out to an engineer, but am I right in thinking that the
thermocouple is only concerned with keeping gas flowing once the pilot's
lit so it wouldn't be relevant here? Any typical faults, e.g. gas pipe
blocked, that may cause these symptoms.

Thanks,

Sam.

Hi,

My Myson Apollo 30B boiler now longer works. There's no pilot light.
While holding in the gas button I don't hear a hiss like my dodgy memory
suggests I did last time I lit the pilot light some years ago. Pressing
the spark button doesn't visibly do anything and no pilot flame ever
appears.

I've a call out to an engineer, but am I right in thinking that the
thermocouple is only concerned with keeping gas flowing once the pilot's
lit so it wouldn't be relevant here? Any typical faults, e.g. gas pipe
blocked, that may cause these symptoms.

Thanks,

Sam.

On our Thorn Apollo (is this the same company?) you can usually see the
spark through the window when pressing the ignitor. And yes, the pilot light
heats up the thermocouple which then keeps the flame in - if it is knackered
then the pilot just goes out when you release the gas button.

Set Square

Sam Norris wrote:

Hi,

My Myson Apollo 30B boiler now longer works. There's no pilot light.
While holding in the gas button I don't hear a hiss like my dodgy
memory suggests I did last time I lit the pilot light some years ago.
Pressing the spark button doesn't visibly do anything and no pilot
flame ever appears.

I've a call out to an engineer, but am I right in thinking that the
thermocouple is only concerned with keeping gas flowing once the
pilot's lit so it wouldn't be relevant here? Any typical faults,
e.g. gas pipe blocked, that may cause these symptoms.

Thanks,

Sam.

I don't know your particular boiler, but I would make the following general
comments.

Your pilot light is not lighting either:
* because no gas is coming out of the pilot jet when you press the button,
or
* the spark is not working to light it

I would not necessarily expect you hear the gas, but you may be able to
smell it. [If it's a room sealed boiler, get an assistant to sniff around
the flue while you hold the button in]. If there is no gas, it implies that
the pilot jet is blocked with a lump of crud.

I would have thought that you would see some evidence of a spark if there is
one - particularly if you do it in the dark.

If gas *is* coming out, but the the spark is not working, you *may* be able
to light the pilot with a long taper - but not if it's a room sealed boiler.

As you rightly imply, the thermocouple only serves to maintain the gas
supply to the pilot *once it is alight* - so that is not an immediate
suspect.
--
Cheers,
Set Square