DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Upgrading childs electric bike (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/528-re-upgrading-childs-electric-bike.html)

Lee Blaver July 22nd 03 07:13 PM

Upgrading childs electric bike

Alan Campbell wrote:
My son has an electric quad bike that he has had for about a year now.
He is very confident on it now and is complaining that it doesnt go
fast enough ! I was wondering if there is anything that I can do about
this ?

Is it practical to change the gearing of the motor?
You'd lose some acceleration though...

Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and NTL world com

Bob Eager July 22nd 03 07:44 PM

Upgrading childs electric bike

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:13:55 UTC, Lee Blaver
wrote:

Alan Campbell wrote:
My son has an electric quad bike that he has had for about a year now.
He is very confident on it now and is complaining that it doesnt go
fast enough ! I was wondering if there is anything that I can do about
this ?

Is it practical to change the gearing of the motor?
You'd lose some acceleration though...

Also, worry about whether the braking is up to it.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

N. Thornton July 23rd 03 03:52 AM

(Alan Campbell) wrote in message . com...
My son has an electric quad bike that he has had for about a year now.
He is very confident on it now and is complaining that it doesnt go
fast enough ! I was wondering if there is anything that I can do about

Hi

You could put a 2v lead acid battery in series with the existing one,
must be same amp-hour rating, must modify charger to work with it.
Whether the motor will last is iffy, but it might survive. 12v... no,
no chance.

Regards, NT

The Natural Philosopher July 23rd 03 12:02 PM

Alan Campbell wrote:

My son has an electric quad bike that he has had for about a year now.
He is very confident on it now and is complaining that it doesnt go
fast enough ! I was wondering if there is anything that I can do about
this ?

It has a 6v 7.2Ah battery fitted. I have checked the motor, but
cannot see anything that tells me what rating it is. Could I upgrade
the battery ? what is the best way to go ? upping the volts of the
Ah. Maplins sell 12v 7Ah and 6v 10Ah batteries that would fit the
space, or should I just foget the idea ?

You may be embarking on something you didn't anticipate if you start
tinkering.

Power goes up roughly as the squaee of the applied voltage, so doubling
the volts will net you 4 times the power and proably let the magic smoke
out of the motor :-)

If you REALLY want to have a go, use a starter motor and a 75A/h car
battery :-)

Battery lasts about 5 minutes between charges, and the motor will be
shot in an hour, but in between its - quite fun:) Those motors are a few
hp :)

re-motoring is probably your best bet, or rewinding the one you have.

Something out of a cordless power tool might be a place to start.

TIA

Alan

Eric Dockum July 23rd 03 03:01 PM

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...
Alan Campbell wrote:

[...]

With a conntional pushbike I have done a car battery + starter motor
running on the outside of the back wheel. Switched by the solenoid
switch from an old mini (with a manual push switch between the
terminals) Very exciting, however a bit heavy to push up hill when
the battery goes flat. Also a bit light on the front wheel - can do a
literally electrifying wheelie!

IMM July 23rd 03 03:11 PM

Upgrading childs electric bike

"Alan Campbell" wrote in message
om...
My son has an electric quad bike that he has had for about a year now.
He is very confident on it now and is complaining that it doesnt go
fast enough ! I was wondering if there is anything that I can do about
this ?

It has a 6v 7.2Ah battery fitted. I have checked the motor, but
cannot see anything that tells me what rating it is. Could I upgrade
the battery ? what is the best way to go ? upping the volts of the
Ah. Maplins sell 12v 7Ah and 6v 10Ah batteries that would fit the
space, or should I just foget the idea ?

What is the law on these electric scooters and quads that have kids riding
them dangerously all over the place, on and off pavements? Some the
children look too young to drive a motorised vehicle.

---

Nick Finnigan July 23rd 03 09:16 PM

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1988...80052_en_1.htm

al July 23rd 03 10:25 PM

"Nick Finnigan" wrote in message
"IMM" wrote in message

What is the law on these electric scooters and quads that have kids

riding
them dangerously all over the place, on and off pavements? Some the
children look too young to drive a motorised vehicle.

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1988...80052_en_1.htm

That only seems to mention powered pedal cycles, not those little electric
cars & quads ..?

Nick Finnigan July 23rd 03 11:24 PM

"IMM" wrote in message

What is the law on these electric scooters and quads that have kids

riding
them dangerously all over the place, on and off pavements? Some the
children look too young to drive a motorised vehicle.

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1988...80052_en_1.htm

That only seems to mention powered pedal cycles,

and lawn mowers, and motor vehicles.

not those little electric cars & quads ..?

they must be motor vehicles then.

IMM July 24th 03 01:55 AM

IMM wrote:

"Alan Campbell" wrote in message
om...

My son has an electric quad bike that he has had for about a year now.
He is very confident on it now and is complaining that it doesnt go
fast enough ! I was wondering if there is anything that I can do about
this ?

It has a 6v 7.2Ah battery fitted. I have checked the motor, but
cannot see anything that tells me what rating it is. Could I upgrade
the battery ? what is the best way to go ? upping the volts of the
Ah. Maplins sell 12v 7Ah and 6v 10Ah batteries that would fit the
space, or should I just foget the idea ?

What is the law on these electric scooters and quads that have kids

riding
them dangerously all over the place, on and off pavements? Some the
children look too young to drive a motorised vehicle.

**** off,you sad little ******.

I think we have one here.

---