DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Removing paint from walls? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/5207-removing-paint-walls.html)

Alan Gabriel January 14th 04 08:37 PM

Removing paint from walls?

The walls are solid, plastered walls which the builders slapped a coat of
white emulsion on.

The previous owners papered the walls, which I have just removed. Great
patches of the paint came off with the wallpaper leaving bare plaster.

I want to repaint the walls but need to remove all the loose paint. What is
the easiest way to remove emulsion paint?

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

fool's gold January 15th 04 04:02 PM

Removing paint from walls?

"Alan Gabriel" wrote in message ...
The walls are solid, plastered walls which the builders slapped a coat of
white emulsion on.

The previous owners papered the walls, which I have just removed. Great
patches of the paint came off with the wallpaper leaving bare plaster.

I want to repaint the walls but need to remove all the loose paint. What is
the easiest way to remove emulsion paint?

I had exactly the same experience. I used a combination of large
sander, and steam and scraping. On a wall that I was to paint deep red
I got away with not removing all of the paint.
NB. Make sure you prime / seal the plaster after you remove the
emulsion. (does anyone know the difference between priming and
sealing?).

Fool's Gold.

Marc Lee January 15th 04 08:59 PM

Removing paint from walls?

(fool's gold) wrote in message . com...
"Alan Gabriel" wrote in message ...
The walls are solid, plastered walls which the builders slapped a coat of
white emulsion on.

The previous owners papered the walls, which I have just removed. Great
patches of the paint came off with the wallpaper leaving bare plaster.

I want to repaint the walls but need to remove all the loose paint. What is
the easiest way to remove emulsion paint?

I had exactly the same experience. I used a combination of large
sander, and steam and scraping. On a wall that I was to paint deep red
I got away with not removing all of the paint.
NB. Make sure you prime / seal the plaster after you remove the
emulsion. (does anyone know the difference between priming and
sealing?).

Fool's Gold.

Polycell basecoat helps to cover minor defects on the wall. I recently
painted two bedrooms that had been papered for years. a coat of the
basecoat helps hide minor imperfections. It's no subsitute for filling
and sanding, but helps with the finish.

Marc

Alan Gabriel January 16th 04 01:59 AM

Removing paint from walls?

"fool's gold" wrote in message
om...
"Alan Gabriel" wrote in message

The walls are solid, plastered walls which the builders slapped a coat

of
white emulsion on.

The previous owners papered the walls, which I have just removed. Great
patches of the paint came off with the wallpaper leaving bare plaster.

I want to repaint the walls but need to remove all the loose paint. What

is
the easiest way to remove emulsion paint?

I had exactly the same experience. I used a combination of large
sander, and steam and scraping. On a wall that I was to paint deep red
I got away with not removing all of the paint.
NB. Make sure you prime / seal the plaster after you remove the
emulsion. (does anyone know the difference between priming and
sealing?).

I presume priming means thinned emulsion and sealing is dilute PVA.

Capitol January 16th 04 08:34 PM

Removing paint from walls?

I've always got away with applying a number of new coats of paint around the
edges of the original paint to feather edge the bulges, 6-10 coats? Then
applying the new paint. Much less work.

Regards
capitol

Peter Scott January 19th 04 05:36 PM

Removing paint from walls?

"Alan Gabriel" wrote in message
The walls are solid, plastered walls which the builders slapped a coat of
white emulsion on.

The previous owners papered the walls, which I have just removed. Great
patches of the paint came off with the wallpaper leaving bare plaster.

I want to repaint the walls but need to remove all the loose paint. What

is
the easiest way to remove emulsion paint?

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

By accident I discovered that methylated spirit softens and
loosens emulsion. Brush it on, leave for fifteen minutes,
then scrape.

Peter Scott