DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bosch PHO 100 Planer Blades (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/5153-bosch-pho-100-planer-blades.html)

Graham Mead January 13th 04 09:38 AM

Bosch PHO 100 Planer Blades

Hi,
I need to change the blades on Bosch PHO 100 Planer and true to'Sod's
law' can find every manual except the one for this! Does anyone know
where I can get a copy of this manual (the bosch site has pdfs only
for current models). Is there anything I need to be careful of in
replacing them setting the correct depth, making sure the new blades
are parallel etc or is it a very simple procedure?

TIA Graham

Andrew Gabriel January 13th 04 11:16 AM

Bosch PHO 100 Planer Blades

In article ,
(Graham Mead) writes:
Hi,
I need to change the blades on Bosch PHO 100 Planer and true to'Sod's
law' can find every manual except the one for this! Does anyone know
where I can get a copy of this manual (the bosch site has pdfs only
for current models). Is there anything I need to be careful of in
replacing them setting the correct depth, making sure the new blades
are parallel etc or is it a very simple procedure?

That sounds like the model I have (although I don't have it here to
check). In that case, IIRC you just slacken off one or two allen key
bolts and slide the blade out. It's been a while, but I think the
blades have two sides, so you can refit it the other way round to
use the new cutting edge if that hasn't already been done. There's
no further adjustment to be done.

Something else you can get is a curved edge blade. This is excellent
for planing wood which is wider than the blade, and prevents you
getting a step in the surface caused by the edge of the blade. These
are much more expensive though.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Graham Mead January 13th 04 02:43 PM

Bosch PHO 100 Planer Blades

Cheers Andrew,

So pushing the blade fully into the holder automatically sets it
parallel with the right amount of blade being prominent?

Andrew Gabriel January 13th 04 03:14 PM

Bosch PHO 100 Planer Blades

In article ,
(Graham Mead) writes:
Cheers Andrew,

So pushing the blade fully into the holder automatically sets it
parallel with the right amount of blade being prominent?

*If* that's the same model as mine, yes.
The blade slides in/out from the edge I think.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Paul Mc Cann January 14th 04 10:46 PM

Bosch PHO 100 Planer Blades

On 13 Jan 2004 15:14:21 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
(Graham Mead) writes:
Cheers Andrew,

So pushing the blade fully into the holder automatically sets it
parallel with the right amount of blade being prominent?

*If* that's the same model as mine, yes.
The blade slides in/out from the edge I think.

Its easy to check.

Turn the plane over and place a small piece of wood on the out feed
surface and projecting over the blade. Mark where it crosses the edge
of the outfeed surface. Rotate the blade by hand . It should pick up
the piece of wood and move it slightly forward

Carry out this operation with both blades. The distance travelled
should be equal.

You can also check if the blade is sitting correctly by carrying out
this check first on one side of the blade and then on the other.

If the blade doesn't move the wood then the blade is set too low.

Seting planer blades has been likened to root canal work, just not
quite as pleasant .

On the other hand electric paners are savage tools anyway so shouldn't
be too finicky to set up

Paul Mc Cann