DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Building regs on Staircase handrail (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/5135-building-regs-staircase-handrail.html)

Ruski January 12th 04 05:26 PM

Building regs on Staircase handrail

Having 'studied' Part K I know the height that a handrail has to be - but in
my particular application for replacing the old ranch style ballustrading
the existing handrail does not go from bottom newel to top newel - it
terminates at the underside of the ceiling, because of an offset landing
floor. There is no room for a straight line for a full length handrail. A
seperate assembly protects the landing area, so my question is does the
handrail HAVE to go from top to bottom - I can't see mention of it in the
regs....

Any idea???

TIA

Ruski

Michael McNeil January 12th 04 05:56 PM

"Ruski" wrote in message

the existing handrail does not go from bottom newel to top newel - it
terminates at the underside of the ceiling, because of an offset landing
floor. There is no room for a straight line for a full length handrail. A
seperate assembly protects the landing area, so my question is does the
handrail HAVE to go from top to bottom.

Doh! My brane hutz.

Why is the handrail going to the ceiling? Do you have all the
orang-utans?

If it's your house and the "ten year man" isn't going to see it, you can
please yourself what you do. Handrails generally run parallel with the
string and their top edge is about 900 mm above the nose of the treads.

They are usually stopped/started plumb to the bottom and top nosings.