DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   low voltage PIR controlled lights for drive - where? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/4542-low-voltage-pir-controlled-lights-drive-where.html)

keith December 21st 03 07:53 PM

low voltage PIR controlled lights for drive - where?

Can anyone suggest a better way or ready made supplier for this?

I'd like to light up my new house's drive when the car arrives/leaves.
(It's easy to damage the tyres on the stone edging on the drive ).
But since it's a long drive & to save time/expense I don't want to mess
about with buried mains cable.

It seems all I need is a PIR that supplies a switched mains feed to one of
these low voltage drive lights sets you can buy that just plug into a 13A
socket.. Then just run low voltage cables to the lights (about 4 of them)

But I'm not so sure about getting the switched output - I can wire up a PIR
from the lighting circuit, but then I presumably have to put the switched
output into a fused 13A socket for the lights transformer?

Something tells me there's a better way.....? Can you get low voltage
PIRs - I thought of alarm systems but I 'd need it to stay on for a few
minutes?

My other alternative would be to use one of those radio controlled mains
sockets and keep a transmiter in the car, but then I have to remember to
switch it off when leaving, unless you can get one with a timer .

Can anyone help with suggestions - thanks
Keith

Drive is flat, approx 3 cars by 2 cars size , and has stone edging that has
sharp edges, arranged in a curve that's hard to judge at night.

Niall December 21st 03 10:34 PM

low voltage PIR controlled lights for drive - where?

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 19:53:28 +0000 (UTC), "keith"
wrote:

Something tells me there's a better way.....? Can you get low voltage
PIRs - I thought of alarm systems but I 'd need it to stay on for a few
minutes?

My other alternative would be to use one of those radio controlled mains
sockets and keep a transmiter in the car, but then I have to remember to
switch it off when leaving, unless you can get one with a timer .

How about a set of those solar powered garden lights, currently
available from about £10 a pair? Use them to mark drive edge.

--
Niall

Tim Mitchell December 22nd 03 09:43 AM

low voltage PIR controlled lights for drive - where?

In article , Niall
writes
wrote:

Something tells me there's a better way.....? Can you get low voltage
PIRs - I thought of alarm systems but I 'd need it to stay on for a few
minutes?

My other alternative would be to use one of those radio controlled mains
sockets and keep a transmiter in the car, but then I have to remember to
switch it off when leaving, unless you can get one with a timer .

How about a set of those solar powered garden lights, currently
available from about £10 a pair? Use them to mark drive edge.

Waste of time, a glow worm gives out more light.
The mains PIR is the simplest solution, wire it to a fused spur box and
connect the low voltage lights to that.
--
Tim Mitchell

Dave Plowman December 22nd 03 10:42 AM

low voltage PIR controlled lights for drive - where?

In article ,
Niall wrote:
How about a set of those solar powered garden lights, currently
available from about £10 a pair? Use them to mark drive edge.

You might as well use white painted sticks for all the use they are...

--
*Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Niall December 22nd 03 10:21 PM

low voltage PIR controlled lights for drive - where?

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:42:50 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman
wrote:

In article ,
Niall wrote:
How about a set of those solar powered garden lights, currently
available from about £10 a pair? Use them to mark drive edge.

You might as well use white painted sticks for all the use they are...

Funny, the ones I use for a similar application are quite effective.

--
Niall

keith December 23rd 03 10:09 PM

low voltage PIR controlled lights for drive - where?

Thanks for the suggestions - I think the solar ones are probably out anyway
, as I don't want to light up the drive all night, just when reversing the
car , so I think that's either radio or PIR controlled.

ARWadsworth December 24th 03 04:23 AM

"keith" wrote in message
Thanks for the suggestions - I think the solar ones are probably out

anyway
, as I don't want to light up the drive all night, just when reversing the
car , so I think that's either radio or PIR controlled.

It is a pity you cannot get hold of the "high intensity cats eyes" that they
are using in some parts of the country on trial runs. There are a couple of
these that I know about and they have been running for a few years. It is
possible to drive a car on an unlit road without headlights and the eyes
look like an airport landing strip. Does anyone know more about these "cats
eyes" and how they work.

--
Adam

Tim Mitchell December 24th 03 09:20 AM

low voltage PIR controlled lights for drive - where?

In article ,
ARWadsworth writes

http://optics.org/articles/news/8/4/3/1

--
Tim Mitchell

ARWadsworth December 24th 03 11:04 AM

low voltage PIR controlled lights for drive - where?

"Tim Mitchell" wrote in message
In article ,
ARWadsworth writes

"keith" wrote in message
Thanks for the suggestions - I think the solar ones are probably out

anyway
, as I don't want to light up the drive all night, just when reversing

the
car , so I think that's either radio or PIR controlled.

It is a pity you cannot get hold of the "high intensity cats eyes" that

they
are using in some parts of the country on trial runs. There are a couple

of
these that I know about and they have been running for a few years. It is
possible to drive a car on an unlit road without headlights and the eyes
look like an airport landing strip. Does anyone know more about these

"cats
eyes" and how they work.

http://optics.org/articles/news/8/4/3/1

Thanks.

Adam

Tim Mitchell December 24th 03 11:49 AM

"keith" wrote in message
Thanks for the suggestions - I think the solar ones are probably out
anyway
, as I don't want to light up the drive all night, just when reversing

the
car , so I think that's either radio or PIR controlled.

It is a pity you cannot get hold of the "high intensity cats eyes" that

they
are using in some parts of the country on trial runs. There are a couple

of
these that I know about and they have been running for a few years. It is
possible to drive a car on an unlit road without headlights and the eyes
look like an airport landing strip. Does anyone know more about these

"cats
eyes" and how they work.

http://optics.org/articles/news/8/4/3/1

Thanks.

Do you know where there are any of these LED cats eyes? I have never
seen any in "real life" on the road.
--
Tim Mitchell

ARWadsworth December 24th 03 05:54 PM

"keith" wrote in message
[...]

On the A61 between Barnsley and Wakefield at Woolley.
And I saw some recently on the A638 near Upton, but I cannot remember the
precise location.
Adam

Steve December 24th 03 08:49 PM

ARWadsworth wrote:
"Tim Mitchell" wrote in message

Do you know where there are any of these LED cats eyes? I have never
seen any in "real life" on the road.
--
Tim Mitchell

On the A61 between Barnsley and Wakefield at Woolley.
And I saw some recently on the A638 near Upton, but I cannot remember the
precise location.

Rochdale-Blackburn at Norden.
Rochdale-"Tim Bobbin Brew" - between Milnrow and Hollingworth Lake.

Steve