Adam

Default OT? Help with detering cats

How can I deter the local cats from using my garden as a toilet? I've bought
pepper, proprietary repellents and even tried putting the hose on them but
they keep coming back. In the hot weather the smell was awful! Short of
buying an airgun I'm out of ideas. Any help appreciated!

Adam

Julian Fowler

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:28:53 +0100, "Neil"
wrote:

refer to post in free.uk.diy.home

Only useful if the OP can access this group - many ISPs don't carry
the free.uk.* hierarchy.

"Adam" ] wrote in message
How can I deter the local cats from using my garden as a toilet? I've

bought
pepper, proprietary repellents and even tried putting the hose on them but
they keep coming back. In the hot weather the smell was awful! Short of
buying an airgun I'm out of ideas. Any help appreciated!

Airgun = Really Bad Idea

Are the cats "owned" (i.e., do the cats permit humans to share a house
with them)?. If so, try talking to the cats' humans - if the cats are
habitually using your garden as a toilet its possible that their
humans aren't providing a litter tray for them (which they should).

If the cats are feral, try contacting your local Cats' Protection
League - they should be able to arrange to catch the cats, have them
neutered, and find homes for them.

HTH
Julian

--
Julian Fowler
Neil

Default was - OT? Help with detering cats

wrote:

refer to post in free.uk.diy.home

Only useful if the OP can access this group - many ISPs don't carry
the free.uk.* hierarchy.

Sorry. Didn't realise. I'll try to not do it again.

philosopher

I like that ;}

"James Salisbury" wrote in message

"Adam" ] wrote in message
How can I deter the local cats from using my garden as a toilet? I've

bought
pepper, proprietary repellents and even tried putting the hose on them

but
they keep coming back. In the hot weather the smell was awful! Short of
buying an airgun I'm out of ideas. Any help appreciated!

Adam

Obtain a large balloon, inflate, dig where they have been digging , bury

the
balloon so the skin is just below the surface and wait......

John Armstrong

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:46:38 +0100, "James Salisbury"
wrote:

Obtain a large balloon, inflate, dig where they have been digging , bury the
balloon so the skin is just below the surface and wait......

Filling the balloon might work well too.

--
John
John Armstrong

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:45:53 +0000 (UTC), Mike Ring
wrote:

"Adam" ] wrote in
:

How can I deter the local cats from using my garden as a toilet? I've
bought pepper, proprietary repellents and even tried putting the hose
on them but they keep coming back. In the hot weather the smell was
awful! Short of buying an airgun I'm out of ideas. Any help
appreciated!

Adam

I think an air pistol may help, as long as it's not powerful.

I resorted to one to protect our timid moggie against a couple of tough
toms; the gun was not accurate, but rattling a slug off the fence made them
jump, and as long as I was careful to avoid eyes and ears, the occasional
hit obviously stung, but did not injure, and reinforced the gun's spit; it
did deter them, but I was not on 24hr purrtrol, so don't know if it would
help in your case

Difficult to avoid eyes/ears when it isn't very accurate.
A super soaker type water pistol would be safer and probably as/more
effective and much cheaper.

--
John

Tony Hayes

Mike Ring wrote:

"Adam" ] wrote in
:

How can I deter the local cats from using my garden as a toilet? I've
bought pepper, proprietary repellents and even tried putting the hose
on them but they keep coming back. In the hot weather the smell was
awful! Short of buying an airgun I'm out of ideas. Any help
appreciated!

Adam

I think an air pistol may help, as long as it's not powerful.

I resorted to one to protect our timid moggie against a couple of tough
toms; the gun was not accurate, but rattling a slug off the fence made them
jump, and as long as I was careful to avoid eyes and ears, the occasional
hit obviously stung, but did not injure, and reinforced the gun's spit; it
did deter them, but I was not on 24hr purrtrol, so don't know if it would
help in your case

mike r

Or a Black Widow slingshot ;-))

Tony

Davey

A good waterpistol, or a hosepipe with the gun-like thing on the end so it
will throw the water well. Once they think they may get an unexpected
soaking, they'll be more cautious.
Davey
--

"Adam" ] wrote in message
How can I deter the local cats from using my garden as a toilet? I've

bought
pepper, proprietary repellents and even tried putting the hose on them but
they keep coming back. In the hot weather the smell was awful! Short of
buying an airgun I'm out of ideas. Any help appreciated!

Adam

Bob Eager

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:26:07 UTC, John Armstrong
wrote:

A super soaker type water pistol would be safer and probably as/more
effective and much cheaper.

We found a small water pistol kept near the door of the kitchen was
useful to 'train' [1] the cats not to come into the kitchen; after a
while we didn't even have to fill it!

[1] OK, it may well be that the cats actually trained us to pick up a
water pistol...

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

James Salisbury

wrote:

Obtain a large balloon, inflate, dig where they have been digging , bury

the
balloon so the skin is just below the surface and wait......

Filling the balloon might work well too.

You can get them up to 72" diameter!

John Armstrong

wrote:

Obtain a large balloon, inflate, dig where they have been digging , bury the
balloon so the skin is just below the surface and wait......

Filling the balloon might work well too.

The words "with water" were supposed to go in that sentence.

--
John
Mike Ring

John Armstrong wrote in
:

Difficult to avoid eyes/ears when it isn't very accurate.
A super soaker type water pistol would be safer and probably as/more
effective and much cheaper.

I only shoot at rear quarters; as for water, I find they can anticipate the
trajectory and dodge easily, and have a good laugh - my only score was when
I guessed the direction he'd go, and aimed off about 2 - 3 yards, the
b***r ran right into it.

Nuff to make my cat laugh

m r
Bob Eager

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:09:34 UTC, Tony Hayes
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:53:15 UTC, "James Salisbury"
wrote:

You can get them up to 72" diameter!

They're the big white ones that roll around on their own, menacing
everyone...?

Especially Number 6 (I think)?............

Indeed....!

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

Devil's Advocate

"Adam" ] wrote in message
How can I deter the local cats from using my garden as a toilet? I've

bought
pepper, proprietary repellents and even tried putting the hose on them but
they keep coming back. In the hot weather the smell was awful! Short of
buying an airgun I'm out of ideas. Any help appreciated!

Adam

Chicken manure pellets such as 'rooster booster' work in my garden. I have
two cats that love to toilet in the newly dug flower beds - spread a few of
the above pellets about and it certainly deters them. One problem with
these - is the stink for a couple of days after - but once this is gone the
deterrent effect still works

Bri

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:26:50 +0100, "Adam" ]
wrote:

How can I deter the local cats from using my garden as a toilet? I've bought
pepper, proprietary repellents and even tried putting the hose on them but
they keep coming back. In the hot weather the smell was awful! Short of
buying an airgun I'm out of ideas. Any help appreciated!

Adam

I've heard of Jeyes fluid recommended here a while ago. Failing that,
a paintball gun with a laser sight.

MJ

Gnube

wrote:

How can I deter the local cats from using my garden as a toilet? I've bought
pepper, proprietary repellents and even tried putting the hose on them but
they keep coming back. In the hot weather the smell was awful! Short of
buying an airgun I'm out of ideas. Any help appreciated!

Adam

Try searching "trebuchet" on google - construct as required.

I want to find plans/details of the "spring guns" as allowed in the
laws of this land with a view to a "non fatal" adaptation - I
understand the wording allows for the setting of "spring guns" and
"man traps" after sundown by a property owner as a legitimate
deterrent to any (but not specified) intruder. I can't currently be
sure which type they meant in that wording as there are a fair few
types and they do vary rather a lot on the odd time when I've seen
anything on them - not looked in quite a while actually, so I may go
have a browse to see it things are any clearer now!

Failing this, there' always the old "drainpipe" wheeze, sure sorts the
problem, but not all that nice, certainly not for the cat anyway!

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}
impvan

If they come into the garden via the same route, a cardboard cutout of
a prowling cat with marbles for eyes (this detail important!) will
deter them. They also don't like the smell of citrus fruit, so a good
sprinkle of Citronella oil (local health food shop) will put 'em off.
Stops them shredding bin bags too!

P.A.Osborne

Rick Hughes wrote:
I found my Rottweiler dogs pretty good deterrent

Alternatively get yourself a cat.

It will keep others away and as you have discovered it
wont crap in your own garden.

Paul
jerrybuilt

"P.A.Osborne" wrote:
Rick Hughes wrote:
I found my Rottweiler dogs pretty good deterrent

Alternatively get yourself a cat.
It will keep others away and as you have discovered it
wont crap in your own garden.

Yes, you can have a stinky "litter tray" indoors for the thing
to soil and scratch in, which you'll have to clean, cat food to
buy, feeding equipment to clean, vets bills to pay, possibly
cat excrement in the house, a very unhygienic animal walking
on your surfaces, possible incoming "foreign" animals coming
in through the cat flap you've had to buy, fit, and clean/
maintain that promptly "spray" everywhere, furniture damage,
and so on.

You could just shoot the interlopers for a permenant and
simple solution. I have heard that a pressure washer with a
"jet" nozzle is highly effective.

Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com