Old July 19th 03, 02:47 PM
Gnube

Default OT? Help with detering cats

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:26:50 +0100, "Adam" ]
wrote:

How can I deter the local cats from using my garden as a toilet? I've bought
pepper, proprietary repellents and even tried putting the hose on them but
they keep coming back. In the hot weather the smell was awful! Short of
buying an airgun I'm out of ideas. Any help appreciated!

Adam

Try searching "trebuchet" on google - construct as required.

I want to find plans/details of the "spring guns" as allowed in the
laws of this land with a view to a "non fatal" adaptation - I
understand the wording allows for the setting of "spring guns" and
"man traps" after sundown by a property owner as a legitimate
deterrent to any (but not specified) intruder. I can't currently be
sure which type they meant in that wording as there are a fair few
types and they do vary rather a lot on the odd time when I've seen
anything on them - not looked in quite a while actually, so I may go
have a browse to see it things are any clearer now!

Failing this, there' always the old "drainpipe" wheeze, sure sorts the
problem, but not all that nice, certainly not for the cat anyway!

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}

Old July 19th 03, 09:59 PM
impvan

If they come into the garden via the same route, a cardboard cutout of
a prowling cat with marbles for eyes (this detail important!) will
deter them. They also don't like the smell of citrus fruit, so a good
sprinkle of Citronella oil (local health food shop) will put 'em off.
Stops them shredding bin bags too!

Old July 28th 03, 12:02 PM
P.A.Osborne

Rick Hughes wrote:
I found my Rottweiler dogs pretty good deterrent

Alternatively get yourself a cat.

It will keep others away and as you have discovered it
wont crap in your own garden.

Paul
Old July 28th 03, 02:16 PM
jerrybuilt

"P.A.Osborne" wrote:
Rick Hughes wrote:
I found my Rottweiler dogs pretty good deterrent

Alternatively get yourself a cat.
It will keep others away and as you have discovered it
wont crap in your own garden.

Yes, you can have a stinky "litter tray" indoors for the thing
to soil and scratch in, which you'll have to clean, cat food to
buy, feeding equipment to clean, vets bills to pay, possibly
cat excrement in the house, a very unhygienic animal walking
on your surfaces, possible incoming "foreign" animals coming
in through the cat flap you've had to buy, fit, and clean/
maintain that promptly "spray" everywhere, furniture damage,
and so on.

You could just shoot the interlopers for a permenant and
simple solution. I have heard that a pressure washer with a
"jet" nozzle is highly effective.

Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com