DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT - Unbraked trailer safety requirements (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/436-re-ot-unbraked-trailer-safety-requirements.html)

Danny Monaghan July 18th 03 01:16 PM

OT - Unbraked trailer safety requirements

(Kevin) wrote in news:f6100712.0307180350.5c874da1
@posting.google.com:

I'm a little off-topic here but I know somebody out there will have
the same needs as myself and is likely to know the answer.

I recently bought a small (4' x 3') unbraked second-hand trailer,
which I use primarily to bring new materials from the builders
merchant and to take the junk to the tip. I have been told that I
should have a cable or some such linking the car to the trailer in
case the coupling fails. But I've been unable to find the regulations
relating to this, everything I read refers to a device to activate the
brakes if the trailer becomes separated from the car, but as mentioned
above, mine is an unbraked trailer.

The question then is do I need some kind of failsafe device, what is
appropriate and where can I get it ?

Thanks.

Not a cable - those are used as a breakaway to pull the brakes on and you
don't have any. You need a secondary hitch, which is usually a short
length of chain that goes round the towball before you drop the hitch on
to it. The secondary hitch on my Caddy trailer is bolted on to the
trailer with the bolts that hold the hitch on the towing arm. All you
need is chain with enough load strength to cope with the maximum load
weight of your trailer.

--
Danny Monaghan

To email me, put the LIGHT out!