Old December 11th 03, 12:51 PM
Phnix

Default Roofing - non slip footwear?

Any recommendations for an inexpensive way to give shoes/trainers better
grip/non-slip on slate roofs.

Something to apply to older footwear would be best, temporary or permanent.

Old December 12th 03, 12:05 AM
BigWallop

"Phnix" mindyouownbusiness wrote in message
Any recommendations for an inexpensive way to give shoes/trainers better
grip/non-slip on slate roofs.

Something to apply to older footwear would be best, temporary or

permanent.

Correct footwear is best worn when you're climbing on proper roof ladders
and frames. Your shoes should not to be relied upon when the roof itself is
slippery, wet or covered in moss.

Some roofs are not meant to be walked on, and some are far to steep to allow
you to walk on the slope. So you're so much safer to rely on a proper roof
ladder than just your footwear.

Old December 12th 03, 01:26 AM
Phnix

BigWallop wrote:
"Phnix" mindyouownbusiness wrote in message
Any recommendations for an inexpensive way to give shoes/trainers
better grip/non-slip on slate roofs.

Something to apply to older footwear would be best, temporary or
permanent.

Correct footwear is best worn when you're climbing on proper roof
ladders and frames. Your shoes should not to be relied upon when the
roof itself is slippery, wet or covered in moss.

Some roofs are not meant to be walked on, and some are far to steep
to allow you to walk on the slope. So you're so much safer to rely
on a proper roof ladder than just your footwear.

So you don't know then?

Old December 12th 03, 05:45 AM
Danny Burns

In message , Phnix
writes
Any recommendations for an inexpensive way to give shoes/trainers
better grip/non-slip on slate roofs.

Yes, Hire a roof ladder.
--
Danny Burns
www.buildsure.co.uk
Old December 12th 03, 09:19 AM
roger

Any recommendations for an inexpensive way to give shoes/trainers
better grip/non-slip on slate roofs.

Flexible shoes, not boots, with a good bold tread work best for me.
On anything other than brand new roofs, they seem better than rock-
climbers super-grip footwear.
You may also want a harness, rope and instruction how to rig safety
gear. Sliding off and breaking both arms [happened to a friend, just
from a detached garage] does not speed the job, and being caught by your
mate as you were sliding past him [happened to me] is dodgy.
Best bet really is:-

Yes, Hire a roof ladder.

--
roger

Old December 12th 03, 10:48 AM
Phnix

Danny Burns wrote:
In message ,
Phnix writes
Any recommendations for an inexpensive way to give shoes/trainers
better grip/non-slip on slate roofs.

Yes, Hire a roof ladder.

Your suggesting I attach roof ladders to each of my trainers?

If you have nothing to say, SAY NOTHING!

Your post does not contribute. The roof ladder aspect has already been
mentioned and clearly, from previous posts, is not what was asked.

My question is simple, as plainly are you.

I do not see a reason to list the equipment in use nor the specifics on the
job in hand when asking a simple question.

Just to humour you (it shouldn't take much) I do have roofladders and use
them. They are not appropriate to cover every foot of every roof. Sometimes
it is necessary and safer to step away from ladders rather than move them.
Having done this many times I wondered whether anyone on this forum had come
across a product that would increase confidence in the grip my footwear
gives me when I have a foot or both off the ladders.

Now I can see you are the type to erect scaffolding to clean windows so
perhaps you might realise your comments are inappropriate for many people
who apply a certain measure of common sense to their safety precautions.

Old December 12th 03, 11:28 AM
BigWallop

"Phnix" mindyouownbusiness wrote in message
Danny Burns wrote:
In message ,
Phnix writes
[...]

With that attitude, I honestly hope you slide off and hurt yourself. Then
the job will take longer to do, if it ever gets done at all, and you'd then
realise that the roof ladder would have been a better idea.

Everyone who answered your question, has advised that you take safety
precautions while working at height on sloping surfaces, so now it's
entirely up to you.

Smear Super Glue on your soles, or get ready to say goodbye to your soul.

Old December 12th 03, 11:29 AM
Gavin Gillespie

"Phnix" mindyouownbusiness wrote in message
Danny Burns wrote:
In message ,
Phnix writes
[...]

So if someone suggested something that might be suitable, and which
you used, but later, possibly caused you to fall from a roof, and
cripple yourself, you would not be bitter about the suggestion?

Perhaps you have received no replies, because people are not prepared
to risk being sued, by giving you information which could land them
with a hefty compensation bill, if anything did happen to you.

Old December 12th 03, 12:04 PM
Danny Burns

In message , Phnix
writes
Danny Burns wrote:
In message ,
Phnix writes
Any recommendations for an inexpensive way to give shoes/trainers
better grip/non-slip on slate roofs.

Yes, Hire a roof ladder.

Your suggesting I attach roof ladders to each of my trainers?

No I'm suggesting you put your trainers on a roof ladder to give to a
better grip on the roof.

If you have nothing to say, SAY NOTHING!

Your post does not contribute. The roof ladder aspect has already been
mentioned and clearly, from previous posts, is not what was asked.

If you don't want to hear a reply DON'T ASK.
There has been no mention of a roof ladder in this thread.

My question is simple, as plainly are you.

I do not see a reason to list the equipment in use nor the specifics on the
job in hand when asking a simple question.

Just to humour you (it shouldn't take much) I do have roofladders and use
them. They are not appropriate to cover every foot of every roof. Sometimes
it is necessary and safer to step away from ladders rather than move them.
Having done this many times I wondered whether anyone on this forum had come
across a product that would increase confidence in the grip my footwear
gives me when I have a foot or both off the ladders.

Why bother asking then, you obviously know everything.

Now I can see you are the type to erect scaffolding to clean windows so
perhaps you might realise your comments are inappropriate for many people
who apply a certain measure of common sense to their safety precautions.

I'd like to know how you come to that conclusion from my simple
suggestion. If your not confident on a roof you shouldn't be on it,
there is no magic solution just basic common sense measures.

Sometimes on plain tile roofs it is even necessary to strip a few tiles
and walk on the underlying battens or kick up interlocking tiles. But as
far as slates go there is no easy method and you have to rely on the
ladder to spread your weight as well.

--
Danny Burns
www.buildsure.co.uk
Old December 12th 03, 12:23 PM
Danny Burns

Just noticed there was a reference to a roof ladder, in an earlier post
but my points still stand and you've still got an attitude problem.
--
Danny Burns
www.buildsure.co.uk