Phöènix

Default Roofing - non slip footwear?

Any recommendations for an inexpensive way to give shoes/trainers better
grip/non-slip on slate roofs.

Something to apply to older footwear would be best, temporary or permanent.

BigWallop

"Phöènix" mindyouownbusiness wrote in message
Any recommendations for an inexpensive way to give shoes/trainers better
grip/non-slip on slate roofs.

Something to apply to older footwear would be best, temporary or

permanent.

Correct footwear is best worn when you're climbing on proper roof ladders
and frames. Your shoes should not to be relied upon when the roof itself is
slippery, wet or covered in moss.

Some roofs are not meant to be walked on, and some are far to steep to allow
you to walk on the slope. So you're so much safer to rely on a proper roof
ladder than just your footwear.

Phöènix

BigWallop wrote:
"Phöènix" mindyouownbusiness wrote in message
Any recommendations for an inexpensive way to give shoes/trainers
better grip/non-slip on slate roofs.

Something to apply to older footwear would be best, temporary or
permanent.

Correct footwear is best worn when you're climbing on proper roof
ladders and frames. Your shoes should not to be relied upon when the
roof itself is slippery, wet or covered in moss.

Some roofs are not meant to be walked on, and some are far to steep
to allow you to walk on the slope. So you're so much safer to rely
on a proper roof ladder than just your footwear.

So you don't know then?

Danny Burns

In message , Phöènix
writes
Any recommendations for an inexpensive way to give shoes/trainers
better grip/non-slip on slate roofs.

Yes, Hire a roof ladder.
--
Danny Burns
www.buildsure.co.uk
roger

Any recommendations for an inexpensive way to give shoes/trainers
better grip/non-slip on slate roofs.

Flexible shoes, not boots, with a good bold tread work best for me.
On anything other than brand new roofs, they seem better than rock-
climbers super-grip footwear.
You may also want a harness, rope and instruction how to rig safety
gear. Sliding off and breaking both arms [happened to a friend, just
from a detached garage] does not speed the job, and being caught by your
mate as you were sliding past him [happened to me] is dodgy.
Best bet really is:-

Yes, Hire a roof ladder.

--
roger

Phöènix

Danny Burns wrote:
In message ,
Phöènix writes
Any recommendations for an inexpensive way to give shoes/trainers
better grip/non-slip on slate roofs.

Yes, Hire a roof ladder.

Your suggesting I attach roof ladders to each of my trainers?

If you have nothing to say, SAY NOTHING!

Your post does not contribute. The roof ladder aspect has already been
mentioned and clearly, from previous posts, is not what was asked.

My question is simple, as plainly are you.

I do not see a reason to list the equipment in use nor the specifics on the
job in hand when asking a simple question.

Just to humour you (it shouldn't take much) I do have roofladders and use
them. They are not appropriate to cover every foot of every roof. Sometimes
it is necessary and safer to step away from ladders rather than move them.
Having done this many times I wondered whether anyone on this forum had come
across a product that would increase confidence in the grip my footwear
gives me when I have a foot or both off the ladders.

Now I can see you are the type to erect scaffolding to clean windows so
perhaps you might realise your comments are inappropriate for many people
who apply a certain measure of common sense to their safety precautions.

BigWallop

"Phöènix" mindyouownbusiness wrote in message
Danny Burns wrote:
In message ,
Phöènix writes
[...]

With that attitude, I honestly hope you slide off and hurt yourself. Then
the job will take longer to do, if it ever gets done at all, and you'd then
realise that the roof ladder would have been a better idea.

Everyone who answered your question, has advised that you take safety
precautions while working at height on sloping surfaces, so now it's
entirely up to you.

Smear Super Glue on your soles, or get ready to say goodbye to your soul.

Gavin Gillespie

"Phöènix" mindyouownbusiness wrote in message
Danny Burns wrote:
In message ,
Phöènix writes
[...]

So if someone suggested something that might be suitable, and which
you used, but later, possibly caused you to fall from a roof, and
cripple yourself, you would not be bitter about the suggestion?

Perhaps you have received no replies, because people are not prepared
to risk being sued, by giving you information which could land them
with a hefty compensation bill, if anything did happen to you.

Danny Burns

In message , Phöènix
writes
Danny Burns wrote:
In message ,
Phöènix writes
Any recommendations for an inexpensive way to give shoes/trainers
better grip/non-slip on slate roofs.

Yes, Hire a roof ladder.

Your suggesting I attach roof ladders to each of my trainers?

No I'm suggesting you put your trainers on a roof ladder to give to a
better grip on the roof.

If you have nothing to say, SAY NOTHING!

Your post does not contribute. The roof ladder aspect has already been
mentioned and clearly, from previous posts, is not what was asked.

If you don't want to hear a reply DON'T ASK.
There has been no mention of a roof ladder in this thread.

My question is simple, as plainly are you.

I do not see a reason to list the equipment in use nor the specifics on the
job in hand when asking a simple question.

Just to humour you (it shouldn't take much) I do have roofladders and use
them. They are not appropriate to cover every foot of every roof. Sometimes
it is necessary and safer to step away from ladders rather than move them.
Having done this many times I wondered whether anyone on this forum had come
across a product that would increase confidence in the grip my footwear
gives me when I have a foot or both off the ladders.

Why bother asking then, you obviously know everything.

Now I can see you are the type to erect scaffolding to clean windows so
perhaps you might realise your comments are inappropriate for many people
who apply a certain measure of common sense to their safety precautions.

I'd like to know how you come to that conclusion from my simple
suggestion. If your not confident on a roof you shouldn't be on it,
there is no magic solution just basic common sense measures.

Sometimes on plain tile roofs it is even necessary to strip a few tiles
and walk on the underlying battens or kick up interlocking tiles. But as
far as slates go there is no easy method and you have to rely on the
ladder to spread your weight as well.

--
Danny Burns
www.buildsure.co.uk
Danny Burns

Just noticed there was a reference to a roof ladder, in an earlier post
but my points still stand and you've still got an attitude problem.
--
Danny Burns
www.buildsure.co.uk

The Natural Philosopher

Phöènix wrote:

(blah)

Oh for gooness sake, Go to a ships chandlers and ask what yachting
people use on wet slippery decks canted over at 45 degrees.

Any soft foam rubber sole will do.

Alan Campbell

So you don't know then?

I think if you read between the lines, he is actually saying "dont do
it, get some proper ladders instead".

It sounds like good advice to me !
Phöènix

BigWallop wrote:
"Phöènix" mindyouownbusiness wrote in message
Danny Burns wrote:
In message ,
Phöènix writes

READ THE ABOVE DIP****!

They are not appropriate to cover every foot of every
roof. Sometimes it is necessary and safer to step away from ladders
rather than move them. Having done this many times I wondered
whether anyone on this forum had come across a product that would
increase confidence in the grip my footwear gives me when I have a
foot or both off the ladders.

Now I can see you are the type to erect scaffolding to clean windows
so perhaps you might realise your comments are inappropriate for
many people who apply a certain measure of common sense to their
safety precautions.

With that attitude, I honestly hope you slide off and hurt yourself.
Then the job will take longer to do, if it ever gets done at all, and
you'd then realise that the roof ladder would have been a better idea.

Can you not read? I HAVE A ROOF LADDER.

I am not asking about how to access my roof or how to procede with the job.

Everyone who answered your question, has advised that you take safety
precautions while working at height on sloping surfaces, so now it's
entirely up to you.

Did it sound like I wouldn't.

You could answer every thread here just by saying and describing adequate
safety precautions.

The best way to do this particular job involves straddling a gulley. It is
not very dangerous but good non-slip footwear just makes it easier.

I was asking for others experience of something that may make the job even
safer.

Smear Super Glue on your soles, or get ready to say goodbye to your
soul.

I guess you are the guy they talk about who ends up in casualty 10 times a
year.

Phöènix

Gavin Gillespie wrote:
"Phöènix" mindyouownbusiness wrote in message
Danny Burns wrote:
In message ,
Phöènix writes
[...]

This is usenet. I would not use a suggestion for which there was no support.

Were you thinking I may smear honey on my shoes if some **** suggeted it?

Perhaps you have received no replies, because people are not prepared
to risk being sued, by giving you information which could land them
with a hefty compensation bill, if anything did happen to you.

You do know what usenet is don't you? You should stand back and turn off
your computer before you harm yourself or spend a lot of money on a 9 inch
penis kit.

Sheesh kids!

Phöènix

Danny Burns wrote:
In message ,
Phöènix writes
Danny Burns wrote:
In message ,
Phöènix writes
Any recommendations for an inexpensive way to give shoes/trainers
better grip/non-slip on slate roofs.

Yes, Hire a roof ladder.

Your suggesting I attach roof ladders to each of my trainers?

No I'm suggesting you put your trainers on a roof ladder to give to a
better grip on the roof.

If you have nothing to say, SAY NOTHING!

Your post does not contribute. The roof ladder aspect has already
been mentioned and clearly, from previous posts, is not what was
asked.

If you don't want to hear a reply DON'T ASK.
There has been no mention of a roof ladder in this thread.

[quote]
Correct footwear is best worn when you're climbing on proper roof ladders
and frames. Your shoes should not to be relied upon when the roof itself is
slippery, wet or covered in moss.

Some roofs are not meant to be walked on, and some are far to steep to allow
you to walk on the slope. So you're so much safer to rely on a proper roof
ladder than just your footwear.
[end quote]

My question is simple, as plainly are you.

I do not see a reason to list the equipment in use nor the specifics
on the job in hand when asking a simple question.

Just to humour you (it shouldn't take much) I do have roofladders
and use them. They are not appropriate to cover every foot of every
roof. Sometimes it is necessary and safer to step away from ladders
rather than move them. Having done this many times I wondered
whether anyone on this forum had come across a product that would
increase confidence in the grip my footwear gives me when I have a
foot or both off the ladders.

Why bother asking then, you obviously know everything.

Cognitive reasoning is not your stong point is it.

Like I said why not read a question and answer that if you are going to
bother replying at all.

Now I can see you are the type to erect scaffolding to clean windows
so perhaps you might realise your comments are inappropriate for
many people who apply a certain measure of common sense to their
safety precautions.

I'd like to know how you come to that conclusion from my simple
suggestion. If your not confident on a roof you shouldn't be on it,
there is no magic solution just basic common sense measures.

If you thought that then why make such an inane reply.

David Hearn

BigWallop wrote:
"Phöènix" mindyouownbusiness wrote in message
Danny Burns wrote:
In message ,
Phöènix writes
Any recommendations for an inexpensive way to give shoes/trainers
better grip/non-slip on slate roofs.

Yes, Hire a roof ladder.

Your suggesting I attach roof ladders to each of my trainers?

If you have nothing to say, SAY NOTHING!

Your post does not contribute. The roof ladder aspect has already
been mentioned and clearly, from previous posts, is not what was
asked.

My question is simple, as plainly are you.

I do not see a reason to list the equipment in use nor the specifics
on the job in hand when asking a simple question.

Just to humour you (it shouldn't take much) I do have roofladders
and use them.

READ THE ABOVE DIP****!

*plonked into killfile*

Phöènix

Danny Burns wrote:
Just noticed there was a reference to a roof ladder, in an earlier
post but my points still stand and you've still got an attitude
problem.

You make a smart arse snipe as you did and that is what you provoke....

.....and you have a reading problem and an intelligence deficiency and suffer
an abscence common sense.

Phöènix

Alan Campbell wrote:
So you don't know then?

I think if you read between the lines, he is actually saying "dont do
it, get some proper ladders instead".

It sounds like good advice to me !

It is fair advice for anyone who needs general advice on how to access a
roof.

I guess I was asking whether there was a tip or trick that the trade may use
could be helpful. There does not appear to be.

Know where I can get some roof ladders?

(just kidding)

Danny Burns

In message , Phöènix
writes
Danny Burns wrote:
Just noticed there was a reference to a roof ladder, in an earlier
post but my points still stand and you've still got an attitude
problem.

You make a smart arse snipe as you did and that is what you provoke....

Take it as a smart arsed snipe if you like, that is not how it was
intended, but I doubt if you care.

....and you have a reading problem and an intelligence deficiency

maybe

and suffer
an abscence common sense.

my reading problem is kicking in now.

Good luck in your search for your magic shoes.

Plonk!!

--
Danny Burns
www.buildsure.co.uk