Nathan

Default Wiring an Immersion Heater Timer

I've got a digital immersion heater timer I want to install, but it's
not clear from the instructions how to wire it in. Others I've seen
have been very simple - supply here and appliance here. But this one
is much more confusing.

It has 5 terminals labeled:
L N COM NO NC

I have Live, Neutral and Earth coming from my supply and Live, Neutral
and Earth from the immersion heater (which runs about 3kW).

The wiring diagram for the timer seems to show that I need to connect
the L and COM terminals to the live supply. Connect the neutral supply
to the N terminal. And connect the heater to the NO termincal and to
the neutral supply.

In other words, I think the device itself is powered via the L and N
terminals, and when it switches it connected COM to NO. That's how it
seems to me but nothing in the instructions is very clear.

So, anyone have any ideas how I can connect this?
Is it OK to jam the two neutrals into one terminal to connect them?

The timer is a CED Control Master General Purpose Timer. Model IMT7E

Many thanks,

BigWallop

"Nathan" wrote in message
om...
I've got a digital immersion heater timer I want to install, but it's
not clear from the instructions how to wire it in. Others I've seen
have been very simple - supply here and appliance here. But this one
is much more confusing.

It has 5 terminals labeled:
L N COM NO NC

Your Live is connected to the "L" connection along with a jumper link, of
the size cable, to the "COM" terminal.

Your neutrals, both of them, are placed together in the "N" connection.

The live supply to the heater element is taken from the "NO" (normally open)
connection.

The "NC" (normally closed) connection doesn't need to be used.

The earth connections should be taken to a separate terminal block connector
if there is no provision for it inside the new timer unit..

Crooksie

"Nathan" wrote in message
om...
[...]

hi there
not familar with this unit, check to see if its rated for the appropiate
connections
L - Live wire in, and COM, brown (its ok to connect two wires to the same
terminal)
N - Neatral wire in, Neatral wire out to heater, both blue
COMM - link wire (brown) to live using a short piece of same type wire
NO - Live wire out to heater, brown
NC- Not connected
Not forgeting to reconnect the earths if they have been broken.
SAFETY ! Dont forget to swich off the mains
Regards
bob

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Nathan wrote:
It has 5 terminals labeled:
L N COM NO NC

COM, NO and NC refer to the switch part which is totally independent from
the mains supply - so you could use it for say low voltage work.

COM is common - the feed into the switch

NO is normally open, so the one you'd use to switch the load *on* when it
operates, ie the way you want.

NC is normally closed, so you'd use this to switch the load off, and you
can ignore this.

--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Nathan

Thanks everyone - fitted it as above and it works perfectly.
It's 16A rated so it should be safe.

ta,