DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   DC power supply (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/401461-dc-power-supply.html)

rick September 12th 16 05:27 PM

DC power supply

Thinking of using one of these temp sensor/displays:
http://tinyurl.com/jzrmp5n

Would need a 30mA DC supply ... 12-24V

Anyone know of small low cost DC supply modules ? ..........

I have a draw full of psu's ... laptop, router etc, I could use one of
those but as it only needs 30mA something small will be easier to house
in an existing box.

Andrew Gabriel September 12th 16 06:14 PM

DC power supply

In article ,
rick writes:
Thinking of using one of these temp sensor/displays:
http://tinyurl.com/jzrmp5n

Would need a 30mA DC supply ... 12-24V

Anyone know of small low cost DC supply modules ? ..........

I have a draw full of psu's ... laptop, router etc, I could use one of
those but as it only needs 30mA something small will be easier to house
in an existing box.

I would suggest getting a small wall-wart supply, and feeding the
12V into your box via a 2.1mm power jack. These are much cheaper
than modular mains power supplies for building into your own kit,
and it means you don't need to bother with the mains side yourself.

An example:
http://cpc.farnell.com/powerpax/sw40...a-2/dp/PW03058

--
Andrew Gabriel

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] September 12th 16 06:18 PM

DC power supply

rick laid this down on his screen :
Thinking of using one of these temp sensor/displays:
http://tinyurl.com/jzrmp5n

Would need a 30mA DC supply ... 12-24V

Anyone know of small low cost DC supply modules ? ..........

I have a draw full of psu's ... laptop, router etc, I could use one of those
but as it only needs 30mA something small will be easier to house in an
existing box.

A pair of PP3 batteries in series would output 18 to 20v, just add a
push button for when you need to read it.

Simon Mason September 12th 16 06:20 PM

DC power supply

On Monday, 12 September 2016 17:27:49 UTC+1, rick wrote:
Thinking of using one of these temp sensor/displays:
http://tinyurl.com/jzrmp5n

Would need a 30mA DC supply ... 12-24V

Anyone know of small low cost DC supply modules ? ..........

I have a draw full of psu's ... laptop, router etc, I could use one of
those but as it only needs 30mA something small will be easier to house
in an existing box.

My biggest problem in finding a PSU for this.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1699

Was obtaining a 9V supply that didn't involve a switching circuit as that just produced so much hash that it wiped out all AM frequencies.

Found one off an old DAB radio.

Chris Green September 12th 16 06:26 PM

DC power supply

rick wrote:
Thinking of using one of these temp sensor/displays:
http://tinyurl.com/jzrmp5n

Would need a 30mA DC supply ... 12-24V

Anyone know of small low cost DC supply modules ? ..........

I have a draw full of psu's ... laptop, router etc, I could use one of

drawer

--
Chris Green
·

Graham.[_11_] September 12th 16 06:41 PM

DC power supply

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 17:27:38 +0100, rick
wrote:

Thinking of using one of these temp sensor/displays:
http://tinyurl.com/jzrmp5n

Would need a 30mA DC supply ... 12-24V

Anyone know of small low cost DC supply modules ? ..........

I have a draw full of psu's ... laptop, router etc, I could use one of
those but as it only needs 30mA something small will be easier to house
in an existing box.

But it's still going to need a mains plug so why not use a 12v
wall-wart?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] September 12th 16 07:00 PM

DC power supply

Simon Mason used his keyboard to write :
My biggest problem in finding a PSU for this.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1699

Lots on Ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-adapter...AOSwuAVW1fJ U

Simon Mason September 12th 16 08:18 PM

DC power supply

On Monday, 12 September 2016 19:00:28 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Simon Mason used his keyboard to write :
My biggest problem in finding a PSU for this.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1699

Lots on Ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-adapter...AOSwuAVW1fJ U

They are rubbish - you need a transformer, not a switching PSU.

KYW September 12th 16 09:34 PM

DC power supply

"rick" wrote in message
Thinking of using one of these temp sensor/displays:
http://tinyurl.com/jzrmp5n

Would need a 30mA DC supply ... 12-24V

Anyone know of small low cost DC supply modules ? ..........

Tons of plug packs on ebay and amazon and aliexpress.

Brian Gaff September 12th 16 10:06 PM

DC power supply

Be a great idea to test one for rfi though, its getting really hard to find
one that does not double as a radio jammer.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

rick September 12th 16 10:16 PM

DC power supply

On 12/09/2016 20:18, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 12 September 2016 19:00:28 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Simon Mason used his keyboard to write :
My biggest problem in finding a PSU for this.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1699

Lots on Ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-adapter...AOSwuAVW1fJ U

They are rubbish - you need a transformer, not a switching PSU.

Then something like a simple module would be way to go ?

http://tinyurl.com/zrxarbe

rick September 12th 16 10:16 PM

DC power supply

On 12/09/2016 18:26, Chris Green wrote:

Would need a 30mA DC supply ... 12-24V

Anyone know of small low cost DC supply modules ? ..........

I have a draw full of psu's ... laptop, router etc, I could use one of

drawer

sorry English is not my first language

rick September 12th 16 10:22 PM

DC power supply

On 12/09/2016 18:14, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I would suggest getting a small wall-wart supply, and feeding the
12V into your box via a 2.1mm power jack. These are much cheaper
than modular mains power supplies for building into your own kit,
and it means you don't need to bother with the mains side yourself.

An example:
http://cpc.farnell.com/powerpax/sw40...a-2/dp/PW03058

I have several of those type .... have to whittle out the psu ones away
from the charger ones

Andrew Gabriel September 12th 16 10:30 PM

DC power supply

In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
Be a great idea to test one for rfi though, its getting really hard to find
one that does not double as a radio jammer.

A cheap imported one off ebay - I wouldn't be surprised.

Go to a decent supplier.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] September 12th 16 11:13 PM

DC power supply

rick submitted this idea :
On 12/09/2016 20:18, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 12 September 2016 19:00:28 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Simon Mason used his keyboard to write :
My biggest problem in finding a PSU for this.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1699

Lots on Ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-adapter...AOSwuAVW1fJ U

They are rubbish - you need a transformer, not a switching PSU.

Then something like a simple module would be way to go ?

http://tinyurl.com/zrxarbe

Those are switch mode PSU's.

Some SMPSU's can be quite noisy, especially if your interest is HF. I
use a very well filtered and expensive SMPSU as my shack supply, so it
is do-able.

Simon Mason September 13th 16 05:41 AM

DC power supply

On Monday, 12 September 2016 23:13:12 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
rick submitted this idea :
On 12/09/2016 20:18, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 12 September 2016 19:00:28 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Simon Mason used his keyboard to write :
My biggest problem in finding a PSU for this.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1699

Lots on Ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-adapter...AOSwuAVW1fJ U

They are rubbish - you need a transformer, not a switching PSU.

Then something like a simple module would be way to go ?

http://tinyurl.com/zrxarbe

Those are switch mode PSU's.

Some SMPSU's can be quite noisy, especially if your interest is HF. I
use a very well filtered and expensive SMPSU as my shack supply, so it
is do-able.

My outdoor high power led security lights are a bugger on HF as well.

Tim Watts[_3_] September 13th 16 07:35 AM

DC power supply

On 12/09/16 21:34, KYW wrote:

"rick" wrote in message
Thinking of using one of these temp sensor/displays:
http://tinyurl.com/jzrmp5n

Would need a 30mA DC supply ... 12-24V

Anyone know of small low cost DC supply modules ? ..........

Tons of plug packs on ebay and amazon and aliexpress.

I have a draw full of psu's ... laptop, router etc, I could use one of
those but as it only needs 30mA something small will be easier to
house in an existing box.

I wouldn't!

I'd look in RS or Farnell for one that probably won't catch fire... (Too
many BigClive.com videos).

But seriously, the OP will find something there - either a wall wart or
a small PSU module.