Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Bonding rubber to rubber

Is there a glue or some other way to bond sheet rubber to sheet rubber?
This is not as kinky as it sounds. The sort of rubber I'm thinking about
is the sort in CV joint gaiters, and the joint needs to be able to
withstand the stresses and movement a gaiter is normally subject to for
say 30-50k miles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/16 10:18, GB wrote:
Is there a glue or some other way to bond sheet rubber to sheet rubber?
This is not as kinky as it sounds. The sort of rubber I'm thinking about
is the sort in CV joint gaiters, and the joint needs to be able to
withstand the stresses and movement a gaiter is normally subject to for
say 30-50k miles.

well puncture repairs wouldn't work if there wasn't such a glue

But really, why not replace the frigging gaiter?

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 09-Sep-16 10:26 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 09/09/16 10:18, GB wrote:
Is there a glue or some other way to bond sheet rubber to sheet rubber?
This is not as kinky as it sounds. The sort of rubber I'm thinking about
is the sort in CV joint gaiters, and the joint needs to be able to
withstand the stresses and movement a gaiter is normally subject to for
say 30-50k miles.

well puncture repairs wouldn't work if there wasn't such a glue

They are usually heated, aren't they? And there's not much movement.

But really, why not replace the frigging gaiter?

It takes around 90 minutes to replace a gaiter currently. A wrap-around
one would take 5 minutes. Multiply that time saving by the number of FWD
cars in the world.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 10:18:11 +0100, GB
wrote:

Is there a glue or some other way to bond sheet rubber to sheet rubber?
This is not as kinky as it sounds. The sort of rubber I'm thinking about
is the sort in CV joint gaiters, and the joint needs to be able to
withstand the stresses and movement a gaiter is normally subject to for
say 30-50k miles.

Shoe Goo works pretty well on shoes, might be worth a try:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shoe-Goo-Ul.../dp/B000RA5UNU

also via eBay and other places.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/16 10:18, GB wrote:
Is there a glue or some other way to bond sheet rubber to sheet rubber?
This is not as kinky as it sounds. The sort of rubber I'm thinking about
is the sort in CV joint gaiters, and the joint needs to be able to
withstand the stresses and movement a gaiter is normally subject to for
say 30-50k miles.

well puncture repairs wouldn't work if there wasn't such a glue

They are usually heated, aren't they? And there's not much movement.

But really, why not replace the frigging gaiter?

It takes around 90 minutes to replace a gaiter currently. A wrap-around
one would take 5 minutes. Multiply that time saving by the number of FWD
cars in the world.

You can buy split gaiters that come with glue to join them. They are,
IMO, ****. Very stiff, and you need to keep the joint very clean for the
glue to work, which around a CV joint is tricky, and you end up gluing
your fingers to the boot.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bailcast-CV.../dp/B0080DLLIY

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 09/09/16 10:18, GB wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I thought it was likely somebody had produced something, but I
didn't know what terms to search for. Your comments on the product are
very interesting, too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bailcast-CV.../dp/B0080DLLIY

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2016 10:18, GB wrote:
Is there a glue or some other way to bond sheet rubber to sheet rubber?
This is not as kinky as it sounds. The sort of rubber I'm thinking about
is the sort in CV joint gaiters, and the joint needs to be able to
withstand the stresses and movement a gaiter is normally subject to for
say 30-50k miles.

Its easy to glue rubber to rubber.

I doubt if a gaiter made of rubber would last long with all the oil and
stuff about.

The synthetic stuff gaiter are made from is also easy to glue if its
clean which is hard on old dirty cars.
I tried a split gaiter myself and gave up and did it properly the only
time I did a gaiter. The time saving in doing it properly was significant.
I seriously doubt if a proper garage would be able to fit and glue a
split gaiter quicker than doing it properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
Is there a glue or some other way to bond sheet rubber to sheet rubber?
This is not as kinky as it sounds. The sort of rubber I'm thinking about
is the sort in CV joint gaiters, and the joint needs to be able to
withstand the stresses and movement a gaiter is normally subject to for
say 30-50k miles.

Super glue works well on rubber.

--
*Why do the two "sanction"s (noun and verb) mean opposites?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Super glue works well on rubber.

Does it last with the cold, wet and salt?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

Local car spares place sells them by the bucket load, not a fan
personally but I have used them in the past for a quick MOT fix.

Last time I used one was on an old (but low mileage car) where the
suspension bolts and other parts were so rusty that taking it apart and
doing it properly was far more work than justified.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB writes:
Is there a glue or some other way to bond sheet rubber to sheet rubber?
This is not as kinky as it sounds. The sort of rubber I'm thinking about
is the sort in CV joint gaiters, and the joint needs to be able to
withstand the stresses and movement a gaiter is normally subject to for
say 30-50k miles.

The first TV advert for super glue had a giant O-ring which a body-builder
used as a bungie strap to bounce on. He cut through it, bonded the cut
ends back together with super glue, and then bounced in it again.
It was pretty damn impressive at the time when we didn't have anywhere
near as many advanced glues available as we do nowadays.

(I looked on youtube for it, but couldn't find it.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 September 2016 13:53:11 UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
GB writes:
Is there a glue or some other way to bond sheet rubber to sheet rubber?
This is not as kinky as it sounds. The sort of rubber I'm thinking about
is the sort in CV joint gaiters, and the joint needs to be able to
withstand the stresses and movement a gaiter is normally subject to for
say 30-50k miles.

The first TV advert for super glue had a giant O-ring which a body-builder
used as a bungie strap to bounce on. He cut through it, bonded the cut
ends back together with super glue, and then bounced in it again.
It was pretty damn impressive at the time when we didn't have anywhere
near as many advanced glues available as we do nowadays.

it was, until it became apparent that one could not successfully repeat the trick at home.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 September 2016 10:18:15 UTC+1, GB wrote:
Is there a glue or some other way to bond sheet rubber to sheet rubber?

contact adhesive, rubber cement, sbr...

This is not as kinky as it sounds. The sort of rubber I'm thinking about
is the sort in CV joint gaiters, and the joint needs to be able to
withstand the stresses and movement a gaiter is normally subject to for
say 30-50k miles.

Now there's optimism.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Super glue works well on rubber.

Does it last with the cold, wet and salt?

The rubber door seals on the old Rover don't have a very long life.
Replacing the bits that wear out from another (it's the same section all
round) extend the life considerably. And super glue seems to stand up well
to this. Maybe not quite as severe a test as a CVT boot - but that may not
be rubber anyway.

--
*Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/16 13:53, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
GB writes:
Is there a glue or some other way to bond sheet rubber to sheet rubber?
This is not as kinky as it sounds. The sort of rubber I'm thinking about
is the sort in CV joint gaiters, and the joint needs to be able to
withstand the stresses and movement a gaiter is normally subject to for
say 30-50k miles.

The first TV advert for super glue had a giant O-ring which a body-builder
used as a bungie strap to bounce on. He cut through it, bonded the cut
ends back together with super glue, and then bounced in it again.
It was pretty damn impressive at the time when we didn't have anywhere
near as many advanced glues available as we do nowadays.

(I looked on youtube for it, but couldn't find it.)

I remember that.

Do you remember all the jolly japes soon afterwards appearing in the
newspapers. People going to A&E with phone handsets stuck to their
hands, toilet sets bonded to their buns and so on?

It's surprising the modern prankster hasn't thought to try that -
possibly because noone uses public phones and public loos are a rarity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What was or is the glue in bicycle type inner tube repair kits?

Besides, even if it was kinky, most of us would not really care to be
honest.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"GB" wrote in message
Is there a glue or some other way to bond sheet rubber to sheet rubber?
This is not as kinky as it sounds. The sort of rubber I'm thinking about
is the sort in CV joint gaiters, and the joint needs to be able to
withstand the stresses and movement a gaiter is normally subject to for
say 30-50k miles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 09-Sep-16 5:25 PM, Brian Gaff wrote:
What was or is the glue in bicycle type inner tube repair kits?

Good question. The rubber normally used in gaiters is neoprene,
apparently. So, I want a design that works well with neoprene, and
somehow still works despite a big smudge of moly grease just where you
want to do the glueing.

I am wondering whether a weld wouldn't be much more robust. Or some sort
of staple.

Besides, even if it was kinky, most of us would not really care to be
honest.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 09-Sep-16 5:27 PM, Brian Gaff wrote:
but in
any case as has been said, where is the saving, by the time you have cleaned
up the surfaces in situ and worked out how to hold the surfaces together
while it sets, you could have changed it.

That's precisely the issue. At the moment the split gaiters involve
glueing in an environment with loads of dirt and grease around. It
doesn't work at all well. That's the problem that needs solving.

If it can be solved, there's clearly a big time saving (and POSSIBLY a
really really large amount of money) to be made.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 September 2016 18:32:07 UTC+1, GB wrote:
On 09-Sep-16 5:25 PM, Brian Gaff wrote:
What was or is the glue in bicycle type inner tube repair kits?

Good question. The rubber normally used in gaiters is neoprene,
apparently. So, I want a design that works well with neoprene, and
somehow still works despite a big smudge of moly grease just where you
want to do the glueing.

no glue can do that.

I am wondering whether a weld wouldn't be much more robust. Or some sort
of staple.

staple, clip, clamp etc. None of those will do a good enough job though.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/16 19:02, GB wrote:
On 09-Sep-16 5:27 PM, Brian Gaff wrote:
but in
any case as has been said, where is the saving, by the time you have
cleaned
up the surfaces in situ and worked out how to hold the surfaces together
while it sets, you could have changed it.

That's precisely the issue. At the moment the split gaiters involve
glueing in an environment with loads of dirt and grease around. It
doesn't work at all well. That's the problem that needs solving.

If it can be solved, there's clearly a big time saving (and POSSIBLY a
really really large amount of money) to be made.

There's clearly an even bigger time to be saved by jacking the car up
and replacing the gaiter, rather than faffing around trying to find an
easier way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

What was or is the glue in bicycle type inner tube repair kits?

Never used glue myself, used those things you put in a clamp
and lit the back of which fused the patch onto the inner tube.

Corse what was getting on for a century ago now.

And some like the parrot ****er would revel in it.

"GB" wrote in message
Is there a glue or some other way to bond sheet rubber to sheet rubber?
This is not as kinky as it sounds. The sort of rubber I'm thinking about
is the sort in CV joint gaiters, and the joint needs to be able to
withstand the stresses and movement a gaiter is normally subject to for
say 30-50k miles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2016 13:37, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Super glue works well on rubber.

Does it last with the cold, wet and salt?

I've repaired a car gaiter with super glue and it lasted around 3 years
until the car was scrapped. However the split was _very_ small and first
cleaned up with squirt of two from spray can of Isopropyl Alcohol.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9/9/2016 10:18 AM, GB wrote:
Is there a glue or some other way to bond sheet rubber to sheet rubber?
This is not as kinky as it sounds. The sort of rubber I'm thinking about
is the sort in CV joint gaiters, and the joint needs to be able to
withstand the stresses and movement a gaiter is normally subject to for
say 30-50k miles.

Superglue sticks many types of rubber fairly well. It's what is used for
split CV gaiters, and can also be used to make O rings in cases where
the geometry or other constrains mean that a continuous ring cannot be
fitted. This is done routinely in some types of rotating plant in power
stations.

Puncture repair outfits usually use "rubber solution" which is some type
of rubber dissolved in a solvent. The old fashioned contact adhesives
are similar. This would probably be the best way to make a lap joint
between sheets.

Commercial split CV gaiters have a "butt" joint, but get extra area by
having a ridge on one side and a matching groove on the other. I've just
used one successfully on an ATV which only does a couple of miles a
week. I've never risked them on a car.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9/9/2016 6:32 PM, GB wrote:
On 09-Sep-16 5:25 PM, Brian Gaff wrote:
What was or is the glue in bicycle type inner tube repair kits?

Good question. The rubber normally used in gaiters is neoprene,
apparently. So, I want a design that works well with neoprene, and
somehow still works despite a big smudge of moly grease just where you
want to do the glueing.

That won't work. You need to get the rubber properly clean, but then
superglue will work fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
Commercial split CV gaiters have a "butt" joint, but get extra area by
having a ridge on one side and a matching groove on the other. I've just
used one successfully on an ATV which only does a couple of miles a
week. I've never risked them on a car.

They tend to be regarded as a temporary fix to get through an MOT, etc.
Don't think they were ever thought to be as good as an original
replacement.

--
*Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2016 22:31, newshound wrote:
On 9/9/2016 10:18 AM, GB wrote:
[...]

McNett urethane flexible glue for permanent repairs on wetsuits etc. In
middle of repairing mine with it. Not cheap.
For example:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2220234758...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT