DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Crap USB charging socket! (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/401281-crap-usb-charging-socket.html)

tony sayer September 7th 16 07:46 PM

Crap USB charging socket!

Just happened to see this whilst looking for something else.

Apart from having a pretty poor power source you wouldn't believe the
earthing omission!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZ1_aEDPos
--
Tony Sayer

Tim Watts[_3_] September 7th 16 09:46 PM

Crap USB charging socket!

On 07/09/16 19:46, tony sayer wrote:

Just happened to see this whilst looking for something else.

Apart from having a pretty poor power source you wouldn't believe the
earthing omission!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZ1_aEDPos

I've seen that before - safe to say, it won't have passed the applicable
BS/EN standards!

Brian Gaff September 8th 16 08:08 AM

Crap USB charging socket!

I have a so called dual usb psu, and I have a feeling that the actual output
is rubbish. I use it to power a usb hub and to charge up a wireless dongle.
Often the computer with the hub can lose its ram stick presumably because
the power supply is borderline.
It does not get hot or anything and its spec would suggest it was well
capable of doing the job, but I suspect the hub is actually a little more
power hungry, even on its own than one might suspect.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Brian Gaff September 8th 16 08:12 AM

Crap USB charging socket!

I always thought that shaver adaptors had to be fused, but one I bought at
Comet just before they shut was a little loose on the shaver plug so I took
it apart to respring the bits. Not a fuse in site.
So much for approved devices. One might expect this from a pound store or a
market but not Comet.
I'm not saying its actually dangerously built just not what one would
expect, so I fancy its a counterfeit.
Brian

--
----- -

Peter Parry September 8th 16 08:45 AM

Crap USB charging socket!

On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 08:12:16 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I always thought that shaver adaptors had to be fused, but one I bought at
Comet just before they shut was a little loose on the shaver plug so I took
it apart to respring the bits. Not a fuse in site.
So much for approved devices. One might expect this from a pound store or a
market but not Comet.
I'm not saying its actually dangerously built just not what one would
expect, so I fancy its a counterfeit.

It is common for such devices to be protected by a non replacable
fuse/thermal fuse embedded within the transformer windings.

Andy Burns[_13_] September 8th 16 08:48 AM

Crap USB charging socket!

Peter Parry wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

I always thought that shaver adaptors had to be fused

It is common for such devices to be protected by a non replacable
fuse/thermal fuse embedded within the transformer windings.

I assumed brian was referring to a 13A to 2 pin shaver adapter, rather
than a bathroom shaver isolating outlet.

Tim Watts[_3_] September 8th 16 10:21 AM

Crap USB charging socket!

wrote:

I always thought that shaver adaptors had to be fused, but one I bought at
Comet just before they shut was a little loose on the shaver plug so I took
it apart to respring the bits. Not a fuse in site.
So much for approved devices. One might expect this from a pound store or a
market but not Comet.
I'm not saying its actually dangerously built just not what one would
expect, so I fancy its a counterfeit.

It is common for such devices to be protected by a non replacable
fuse/thermal fuse embedded within the transformer windings.

What transformer? He means a 13A adaptor, and yes, they must be fused
otherwise your shaver (etc) is protected by a 32A breaker.

Graham.[_11_] September 8th 16 01:52 PM

Crap USB charging socket!

wrote:

I always thought that shaver adaptors had to be fused, but one I bought at
Comet just before they shut was a little loose on the shaver plug so I took
it apart to respring the bits. Not a fuse in site.
So much for approved devices. One might expect this from a pound store or a
market but not Comet.
I'm not saying its actually dangerously built just not what one would
expect, so I fancy its a counterfeit.

It is common for such devices to be protected by a non replacable
fuse/thermal fuse embedded within the transformer windings.

What transformer? He means a 13A adaptor, and yes, they must be fused
otherwise your shaver (etc) is protected by a 32A breaker.

Similar to what Big Clive calls his "Deathdaptor"

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%