DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Extended warranty frustration (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/400598-extended-warranty-frustration.html)

Lee August 22nd 16 01:31 PM

Extended warranty frustration

I know what has failed and I can fix it for less than a beer token, but
"because it's insured" I'm not allowed to touch it :(

Have just had an engineer diagnose a "control panel" failure on a 4yr
old appliance. Insurance have agreed to the repair, but there are no
parts at the manufacturer and apparently no lead time. (well none they
are letting on) The part has been modified and they are expecting to
have some, just don't know when.

Just ordered the requisite bits to fix the panel rather than replacing
the whole thing.
Now, how long to wait before I tell SWMBO that I'm fixing it anyway :)

Graham.[_11_] August 22nd 16 01:51 PM

Extended warranty frustration

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 13:31:43 +0100, Lee
wrote:

I know what has failed and I can fix it for less than a beer token, but
"because it's insured" I'm not allowed to touch it :(

Have just had an engineer diagnose a "control panel" failure on a 4yr
old appliance. Insurance have agreed to the repair, but there are no
parts at the manufacturer and apparently no lead time. (well none they
are letting on) The part has been modified and they are expecting to
have some, just don't know when.

Just ordered the requisite bits to fix the panel rather than replacing
the whole thing.
Now, how long to wait before I tell SWMBO that I'm fixing it anyway :)

When you run out of clean underpants/teacups. Delete as appropriate.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

John Rumm August 22nd 16 03:33 PM

On 22/08/2016 13:31, Lee wrote:
I know what has failed and I can fix it for less than a beer token, but
"because it's insured" I'm not allowed to touch it :(

Have just had an engineer diagnose a "control panel" failure on a 4yr
old appliance. Insurance have agreed to the repair, but there are no
parts at the manufacturer and apparently no lead time. (well none they
are letting on) The part has been modified and they are expecting to
have some, just don't know when.

Just ordered the requisite bits to fix the panel rather than replacing
the whole thing.
Now, how long to wait before I tell SWMBO that I'm fixing it anyway :)

Fix it anyway. Don't let on - just comment that you tried it again the
other day and it seems to be working again for the moment. ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Lee August 22nd 16 03:54 PM

On 22/08/2016 15:33, John Rumm wrote:

Fix it anyway. Don't let on - just comment that you tried it again the
other day and it seems to be working again for the moment. ;-)

Wonder if that will work for the engineer as well :)

Someone at the factory must have reflowed that switcher chip and swapped
out that shonky capacitor, it wasn't me :) :)

[email protected] August 22nd 16 10:55 PM

On Monday, 22 August 2016 13:31:50 UTC+1, Lee wrote:

I know what has failed and I can fix it for less than a beer token, but
"because it's insured" I'm not allowed to touch it :(

Have just had an engineer diagnose a "control panel" failure on a 4yr
old appliance. Insurance have agreed to the repair, but there are no
parts at the manufacturer and apparently no lead time. (well none they
are letting on) The part has been modified and they are expecting to
have some, just don't know when.

Just ordered the requisite bits to fix the panel rather than replacing
the whole thing.
Now, how long to wait before I tell SWMBO that I'm fixing it anyway :)

So many times I've seen people with insurance fare worse because of it, let alone the premium cost.

NT

John Rumm August 23rd 16 01:40 AM

On 22/08/2016 15:54, Lee wrote:
On 22/08/2016 15:33, John Rumm wrote:

Fix it anyway. Don't let on - just comment that you tried it again the
other day and it seems to be working again for the moment. ;-)

Wonder if that will work for the engineer as well :)

Someone at the factory must have reflowed that switcher chip and swapped
out that shonky capacitor, it wasn't me :) :)

He would probably only swap a board anyway - unlikely to do any
diagnosis on it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Lee August 25th 16 07:24 PM

On 22/08/2016 22:55, wrote:
On Monday, 22 August 2016 13:31:50 UTC+1, Lee wrote:

I know what has failed and I can fix it for less than a beer token, but
"because it's insured" I'm not allowed to touch it :(

Have just had an engineer diagnose a "control panel" failure on a 4yr
old appliance. Insurance have agreed to the repair, but there are no
parts at the manufacturer and apparently no lead time. (well none they
are letting on) The part has been modified and they are expecting to
have some, just don't know when.

Just ordered the requisite bits to fix the panel rather than replacing
the whole thing.
Now, how long to wait before I tell SWMBO that I'm fixing it anyway :)

So many times I've seen people with insurance fare worse because of it, let alone the premium cost.

NT

Update on this, part appears to have been located at the manufacturer
and engineer has been booked.

Very true, though in this case there were reasons to take it out at the
time. Plus it was quite cheap, the payout for this fault is nearly 4
times the entire premium cost. I'm surprised they agreed to pay out, tbh.