Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UPVC windows: stopping old external rubber seal from blackening the frame?

I keep finding external rubber seals on UPVC windows start to degrade on the surface, shedding black dust that blackens the frame. Wiping the seal with a rag leaves heavy deposits of black rubber particles on the rag. Is there anything I can apply to the seals to stop this happening?

TIA
JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y

When you say external do t you mean the bit inside the window? I have
noticed this degrading on ally and upvc. In the end I'd reckon after about
five years they tend to decompose, and the only thing is to get some new
stuff pushed in.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
" wrote in message
I keep finding external rubber seals on UPVC windows start to degrade on the
surface, shedding black dust that blackens the frame. Wiping the seal with a
rag leaves heavy deposits of black rubber particles on the rag. Is there
anything I can apply to the seals to stop this happening?

TIA
JD

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 6 Aug 2016 00:25:47 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Is there anything I can apply to the seals to stop this happening?

ArmorAll: gets the black stuff off, and protects the remainder, for a year or
two at least.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Is there anything I can apply to the seals to stop this happening?

ArmorAll: gets the black stuff off, and protects the remainder, for a year or
two at least.

Thomas Prufer

Sounds good. Thanks.
JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 6 August 2016 08:26:01 UTC+1, wrote:
I keep finding external rubber seals on UPVC windows start to degrade on the surface, shedding black dust that blackens the frame. Wiping the seal with a rag leaves heavy deposits of black rubber particles on the rag. Is there anything I can apply to the seals to stop this happening?

TIA
JD

Replace with non-rubber.

NT