Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 200 quid for chips?

On Friday, 22 July 2016 11:29:08 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
RJH wrote:
IME at least you're wrong there. When I did my teacher training
(mid-90s) we were 'told' to use the word chalkboard. The teaching staff
were pretty embarrassed about this, but ho hum. This only lasted a
couple of years, and blackboard is (of course) a correct term and in use
(where you still see blackboards - rare nowadays).

Is there some department that goes round looking to make up nonsensical
names under the guise of being PC? Or just a local busybody?

Yes or rather people that are looking for promotion or to make their role look far more important then it is.

I experienced the rounds with this calling things coloured black other
names. It was well intentioned, if a bit silly IMO. I don't see the
point in becoming wound up about it.

So what colour do I call my black car? Has black been removed from tins of
black paint?

Well donl;t use the n word to describe it unless you yourself are black.

If words/terms are gendered unnecessarily, I'm all in favour of making
them gender neutral.

I'm certainly in favour of not using words that offend necessarily. But
black isn't - and never was - one of them.

That was my objection in that they were trying to claim using the word black to describe tea or coffee was offensive to coloured people and myself actually knowing coloured people and my boss being one.
Strange as a department we have less coloured people working for us now than when we had black tea and coffee on offer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 26 July 2016 12:24:38 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
whisky-dave wrote

When I was secretary of our staff socail club I was
asked to change the menus in the bar from saying
white tea/coffee to tea/coffee with or without milk.

And that was a perfectly sensible thing to do.

If there was a point to it,

Of course there was, the description is more obvious to more
people, particularly those whose first language isnt english.

what makes you think that.

I know that because I know what those whose dont
have english as their first language are more likely
to understand because I know so many of them.

maybe it's better to teach them English,

Not even possible with most of them.

It certainly should be, if tehy are at university with the idea of getting a career.

Couple of my mates have married their kids.

That's wierd in the UK it's considered incest or rather highly likely that incest will result in such a situation.
Maybe there's not enough native DNA in AUS or it's the wrong colour DNA.

and the
most they ever get out of her parents is a wave when
they show up. They have virtually no english at all.

In a country that speaks american ;-)

rather than use emotions

Completely off with the ****ing fairys as always.

Presumably completely blotto, as always.

Emotions, hieroglyphics or colour swatches.

See above.

none of the rest of your even sillier **** worth bothering with

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2016 12:14, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 22 July 2016 07:21:22 UTC+1, RJH wrote:
On 21/07/2016 13:55, whisky-dave wrote:

justy like they have to with blackboards or sorry we now call them
chalk boards we have white boards now by no black boards.

IME at least you're wrong there. When I did my teacher training
(mid-90s) we were 'told' to use the word chalkboard.

Why ?

Professions generally adopt a lexicon - teaching's no exception. I'd
guess in this case it was a departmental edict. Why? Fashion, trying to
do the right thing, ill-advised - I don't know.

The teaching staff
were pretty embarrassed about this, but ho hum.

embarrassed about what ?

Because it was an idiotic idea.

Even when I was at school, this came up in the mid 70s.
The physics lab had a green board installed.
As I pointed out to my coloured friend who'd I'd be introduced to as chalkie

IME, non-white people don't like being referred to as coloured. Or
chalky, unless they happen to like Jim Davidson.

a year or som ealier. We could understand why it should be called a blackboard because it was no longer black or a board, but it was called a chalboard.
NOT a green board or a blackboard, and considering it wasn't even a board we asked the physics teach why we were calling it a board. when it;s a bit cloth that goes up and down. he just said he;s calling it a a chalkboard from now on.
Well he tried to and got a bit annoyed when we shouted out chalkbaord when ever he asked us to copy down what he'd written on the black board.

Sounds a hoot.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2016 12:45, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

One of the more hilarious exchanges, made me chuckle :-)

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 26 July 2016 14:16:50 UTC+1, RJH wrote:
On 26/07/2016 12:14, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 22 July 2016 07:21:22 UTC+1, RJH wrote:
On 21/07/2016 13:55, whisky-dave wrote:

justy like they have to with blackboards or sorry we now call them
chalk boards we have white boards now by no black boards.

IME at least you're wrong there. When I did my teacher training
(mid-90s) we were 'told' to use the word chalkboard.

Why ?

Professions generally adopt a lexicon - teaching's no exception.

you'd expect teaching to adopt a more accurate or precise one, well I would anyway.

I'd
guess in this case it was a departmental edict. Why? Fashion, trying to
do the right thing, ill-advised - I don't know.

Which is why I was suspicious...

Sure get rid of a blackboard and replace it with a surface that you can revolve and make it green (because we all know the contrast between green and white is better than between black/white when it comes to chalk)

So whta shay we call this the new blackboard..
no we can;t call it that it's not black.....
it;'s not a board either it;s a rotating canvas so we'll stick with teh word boartd as evertone knows what it it, but we can;t call it a green board that might confuse people so lets call it a chalk board because it's not a board and it's not made of chalk.

The teaching staff
were pretty embarrassed about this, but ho hum.

embarrassed about what ?

Because it was an idiotic idea.

The idea was OK a good one to replace those old blackboards with something better but why use the name they did.

Even when I was at school, this came up in the mid 70s.
The physics lab had a green board installed.
As I pointed out to my coloured friend who'd I'd be introduced to as chalkie

IME, non-white people don't like being referred to as coloured. Or
chalky, unless they happen to like Jim Davidson.

After a year when we started 6th form he asked us to not call him chalkie any more. It was difficult to start with as any name change can be, but eventually we managed it.

a year or som ealier. We could understand why it should be called a blackboard because it was no longer black or a board, but it was called a chalboard.
NOT a green board or a blackboard, and considering it wasn't even a board we asked the physics teach why we were calling it a board. when it;s a bit cloth that goes up and down. he just said he;s calling it a a chalkboard from now on.
Well he tried to and got a bit annoyed when we shouted out chalkbaord when ever he asked us to copy down what he'd written on the black board.

Sounds a hoot.

He had slight speech defect and when he said fundamental (in a noisey class) it sounded like "thump a mental" so we all started hitting each other. Physics could be quite boring until the smiley meters came out (AVOs)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 26 July 2016 15:04:21 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

it sounded like "thump a mental" so we all started hitting each other. Physics could be quite boring until the smiley meters came out (AVOs)

Horrid things, a-vomiters.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Sure, but that doesnt involve teaching them what white tea is.

reams of your stupid **** flushed where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 26 July 2016 18:08:16 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

Yes it does.

They come to the UK to be proficient in their studies using the English Language, that is why they came to the UK to learn their chiosen subject as taught in English. There are plenty of good universities outside the UK that can teach the same subjects in French or German or even chinese but that's not always what employers want.
if you're going to work in research institions with any standing in the world they will most likely be conversing in English so it's a good idea to learn the language and even it;'s oddities if you really want to understand the langauge and what's going on around you.

Otherwise you'll never hear the bombay ducks quack echo.

reams of your stupid **** flushed where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Sure, but that doesn‘t involve teaching them what white tea is.

Yes it does.

They come to the UK to be proficient in their studies using the English
Language, that is why they came to the UK to learn their chiosen subject
as taught in English.

Think I'm reasonably proficient in English - but white tea isn't in my
vocabulary. Nor have I ever seen it on a menu. If I did see it, I'd
imagine it was a tea variety. Like green tea. The majority of ordinary tea
drinkers take it with milk. Those who don't ask for it without milk.

White coffee is different. Using the same description for tea suggests a
lack of knowledge of colloquial English - rather than the oposite.

--
*Why were the Indians here first? They had reservations.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 27 July 2016 11:28:12 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Sure, but that doesn€˜t involve teaching them what white tea is.

Yes it does.

They come to the UK to be proficient in their studies using the English
Language, that is why they came to the UK to learn their chiosen subject
as taught in English.

Think I'm reasonably proficient in English - but white tea isn't in my
vocabulary.

Green tea isn't in mine, but it is for others.

Nor have I ever seen it on a menu.

It was on ours as Tea and coffee black or white.
You added sugar yourself they had cubes have you ever seen cubed sugar on a menu ?

Have you ever seen whisky on the rocks .....

Who drinks whisky on a rock !

White tea does exist I"ve never tried it a friend has in Thialand and it isn't common in the UK far less common than green tea or any of the other teas you can buy that you may not of heard of.

In the UK tea CAN mean more than just a cup of liquid it can mean a whole but small meal or snack.
Tea in other contries might mean someting quite differnt and if you are in those countries don't expect tea to be as it seen in the UK.

I've seen what tea is in some countries in greece they seemd to shop a little bag with the name liptons on it dunk it in some almost hot water for 2 minutes and then ask you if you want milk.

If I did see it, I'd
imagine it was a tea variety. Like green tea. The majority of ordinary tea
drinkers take it with milk. Those who don't ask for it without milk.

Not if it;'s on a menu they'll use the term on that menu.

White coffee is different. Using the same description for tea suggests a
lack of knowledge of colloquial English - rather than the oposite.

White coffee for me was always made with hot milk rather than hot water.
But I've heard foreigners call that something differnt and they blow bubbles into it and cal, it something else.

If I see a hot dog stall in the UK say outside tower bridge I expect a certain produce, which might be differnt to what I might get in Korea or china from a hot dog stall !

Sometimes you need to use your brain to work out what something is in relation to where you are.
This is the reason why we must make sure those that come to the UK understand our couture whether it be coffee black or white of whether a girl with a skirt above her knee is a prostitute or not.
We should not be changing the way we see things to suite others in these cases.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:

[Snip]

White coffee for me was always made with hot milk rather than hot water.

That assumes you are referring to instant coffee. At work, somebody filled
the filer coffee machine with milk rather than water. not a good idea

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Nor have I ever seen it on a menu.

It was on ours as Tea and coffee black or white.

That would be perfectly normal and understandable

But that's not what you said originally.

******************

From: whisky-dave
Subject: 200 quid for chips?
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 11:25
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y

When I was secretary of our staff socail club I was asked to change the
menus in the bar from saying white tea/coffee to tea/coffee with or
without milk.

******************

I'd have insisted that was changed too. Since it reads so badly.

--
*What do little birdies see when they get knocked unconscious? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:

[Snip]

White coffee for me was always made with hot milk rather than hot
water.

That assumes you are referring to instant coffee. At work, somebody
filled the filer coffee machine with milk rather than water. not a good
idea

Most places tend to use the steam jet to heat milk for white coffee - as
you can't really keep it hot for long.
Rather like filter coffee kept hot - that goes off pretty quickly too.

At least decent instant with cold milk is consistent.

--
*Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:

[Snip]

White coffee for me was always made with hot milk rather than hot
water.

That assumes you are referring to instant coffee. At work, somebody
filled the filter coffee machine with milk rather than water. not a
good idea

Most places tend to use the steam jet to heat milk for white coffee - as
you can't really keep it hot for long.

trouble is many of them make it too hot which completely changes the taste.

Rather like filter coffee kept hot - that goes off pretty quickly too.
At least decent instant with cold milk is consistent.

My mother always made Nescafe with milk and water (half & half) heated in a
saucepan.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 27 July 2016 13:10:21 UTC+1, charles wrote:

[Snip]

Yep I'm not talking about the stuff that some sort of cat ****s out either.

At work, somebody filled
the filer coffee machine with milk rather than water. not a good idea.

That would be fun to watch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 27 July 2016 13:10:21 UTC+1, charles wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:

[Snip]

White coffee for me was always made with hot milk rather than hot
water.

That assumes you are referring to instant coffee.

Yep I'm not talking about the stuff that some sort of cat ****s out
either.

At work, somebody filled the filer coffee machine with milk rather than
water. not a good idea.

That would be fun to watch.

I only saw the result - not the event

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 23 July 2016 12:55:18 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
charles wrote:

There was the time at BBC Television Centre where the staff restaurant had
"Spotted Richard" on the pudding menu!

Better than "Spotted penis" though... ;-)

How could you tell?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Dave Plowman (News), tahrey wrote:
One of the better things about moving out of mum's place has been that for the
last 7 and a bit years I haven't had to suffer the dismay of even a single
oven chip. Not a one has seen the inside of my oven, excepting fancy things
like spicy wedges or sweet potato fries (each being an experiment that proved
equally disappointing and never repeated). She used to cook them on the
regular and they were never anything more than awful, even when perfectly
cooked, and that didn't happen often because if you don't watch them like a
hawk you're more likely to end up with them either undercooked or burnt to
embers.

Chippy chips, properly deep fried in a way I wouldn't be able to pull off
myself and with a bit of nicely battered fish, are maybe less healthy and
certainly more expensive, but I'd rather them as a not particularly
extravagant treat once a week or fortnight, with the nutritional and financial
downside being a good way to discourage overindulgence.

Oven chips are like those microwaveable burgers, an unnecessary horror of the
convenience food age that are no more than a thin shadow of their properly
made inspiration.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1144063-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 January 2019 03:44:05 UTC, tahrey wrote:

Oven chips are like those microwaveable burgers, an unnecessary horror of the
convenience food age that are no more than a thin shadow of their properly
made inspiration.

That's true of most foods that come ready made. There seems no shortage of consumers that buy into the quality hype though.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2019 03:44, tahrey wrote:
[...]

+1. Similarly microwave chips.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tahrey m wrote:
Chippy chips, properly deep fried in a way I wouldn't be able to pull off
myself

Why? Domestic deep friers ain't expensive.

--
*The first rule of holes: If you are in one, stop digging!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

[...]

They are OK when cooked in an air fryer.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman