DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Can I make a built-under oven into a built-in oven? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/396398-can-i-make-built-under-oven-into-built-oven.html)

yoyo42 July 2nd 16 09:18 AM

Can I make a built-under oven into a built-in oven?

We had a new kitchen fitted a year or so ago. I wanted to DIY it but SWMBO didn't want to wait that long ;-)

We have a double oven fitted under the hob, but now we've been on holiday to a cottage that had a waist high built-in oven she wants it like that instead.

What's the difference between a built-under and built-in oven? If I swap an exsiting 600mm wide drawer unit in place of the oven then I could then use that space for a full height unit and mount the oven in that. However that brings up two more questions:

- that would mean there was a vertical wall of vinyl-wrapped MDF right next to the hob. Would that need a splashback or something similar to protect it from the heat?

- I've only really seen contiboard stuff for sale, can nicer rounded corner gloss white vinyl wrapped MDF be had for DIY or am I going to have to buy the official kitchen units? I'll need to get a new door from them anyway to finish off the full height unit...

Andy Burns[_13_] July 2nd 16 10:27 AM

yoyo42 wrote:

What's the difference between a built-under and built-in oven?

I would say none, you might need to put some support cross-pieces in the
unit at a suitable height.

that would mean there was a vertical wall of vinyl-wrapped MDF right
next to the hob. Would that need a splashback or something similar to
protect it from the heat?

I believe you need a 50mm gap even for non-combustible materials

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/landlords/1-april-2009-tb-022-installation-of-previously-used-domestic-gas-cooking-appliances.pdf

Unless you still have the installation instructions for the hob and it
says different ...

Fredxxx July 2nd 16 10:44 AM

On 02/07/2016 09:18, yoyo42 wrote:
We had a new kitchen fitted a year or so ago. I wanted to DIY it but
SWMBO didn't want to wait that long ;-)

We have a double oven fitted under the hob, but now we've been on
holiday to a cottage that had a waist high built-in oven she wants it
like that instead.

What's the difference between a built-under and built-in oven? If I swap
an exsiting 600mm wide drawer unit in place of the oven then I could
then use that space for a full height unit and mount the oven in that.
However that brings up two more questions:

I would suggest look at oven housings. I'm a bit out of touch, but some
can cope with different height ovens. They typically have a drawer under.

- that would mean there was a vertical wall of vinyl-wrapped MDF right
next to the hob. Would that need a splashback or something similar to
protect it from the heat?

As Andy has said, there are horizontal clearances. There are also
vertical ones. Best to look at the hob installation manual.

[email protected] July 2nd 16 10:55 AM

On Saturday, 2 July 2016 10:17:07 UTC+1, yoyo42 wrote:
- I've only really seen contiboard stuff for sale, can nicer rounded
corner gloss white vinyl wrapped MDF be had for DIY or am I going to
have to buy the official kitchen units?

Most kitchen ranges have 'decor panels' to match the doors, which can be bought separately (at a silly price, about £60 for a full height one from Wickes). If you can't get an exact match then try a contrasting colour.

Owain

Bill Taylor[_2_] July 2nd 16 10:58 AM

Can I make a built-under oven into a built-in oven?

On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 10:18:47 +0200, yoyo42
wrote:

[...]

If it'is fitted into a cabinet then it is a built in oven, there's no
difference.

You might find it a bit awkward with a tall unit close to the hob, but
I wouldn't have thought the MDF would get hot enough to be a problem
with normal cooking. It would be a good idea to cover it with an
easily cleaned material though.

DerbyBorn[_5_] July 2nd 16 11:51 AM

Can I make a built-under oven into a built-in oven?

A lot of heat can escape sideways with a gas hob. I would go for a metal
splashback. The covered MDF won't last long.

A.Lee July 2nd 16 12:02 PM

yoyo42 wrote:

What's the difference between a built-under and built-in oven? If I swap
an exsiting 600mm wide drawer unit in place of the oven then I could
then use that space for a full height unit and mount the oven in that.

Mostly, they can be swapped over. with a few adjustments. Built under
are taller, and sometimes have feet, so either the feet have to come
off (never tried it), or, you'll need to put a trim panel over the
feet depth.
Built-in are the typical slide in ovens, slightly shorter
in height than built under, around 70mm shorter. The built in are made
to slide into a 600 wide kitchen unit, which has internal width of
around 560mm. Most built-unders slide into the 600mm gap, between
adjacent units, they come with metal brackets that attach to the
adjacent cabinet sides.

However that brings up two more questions:
- that would mean there was a vertical wall of vinyl-wrapped MDF right
next to the hob. Would that need a splashback or something similar to
protect it from the heat?

Possibly/probably. Tiles are an easy, cheap fix for that. Custom
stainless splash backs can be bought, standard ones will be no good, as
typically, at least one edge has screw holes, which are hidden under
tiles, though if you can find one with square edge all around, then
that'll fit when you get the angle grinder on it - beware your cabinets
may be deeper than 600mm that splashback come in.

- I've only really seen contiboard stuff for sale, can nicer rounded
corner gloss white vinyl wrapped MDF be had for DIY or am I going to
have to buy the official kitchen units? I'll need to get a new door from
them anyway to finish off the full height unit...

Magnet trade sell to the public. B+Q et al have a range in stock, but
you'd be best finding where yours came from and buy the same.

--
Alan
To reply by mail, change '+' to 'plus'

Syd Rumpo[_2_] July 2nd 16 01:54 PM

[...]

SIL had an under worktop oven which made the worktop above very hot.
Reading the installation instructions, it was intended to be built in,
and not under worktop. So it would seem, in this case at least, there
is a difference.

Cheers
--
Syd

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] July 2nd 16 04:09 PM

DerbyBorn a écrit :
A lot of heat can escape sideways with a gas hob. I would go for a metal
splashback. The covered MDF won't last long.

It depepends upon how they vent. We have a double oven, one small with
a larger one below it. Its sides and rear are very well insulated, it
uses a fan to draw air in at the rear, which is vents out the front
between the two doors. It runs very cool around the outside casing.

charles July 2nd 16 06:10 PM

Can I make a built-under oven into a built-in oven?

In article ,
yoyo42 wrote:

[...]

You could always just dig a hole in front of the cooker so that it allowed
her to have the cooker at waist level ;-)
(nor my original idea)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

[email protected] July 2nd 16 07:24 PM

On Saturday, 2 July 2016 18:21:36 UTC+1, charles wrote:
You could always just dig a hole in front of the cooker so that it allowed
her to have the cooker at waist level ;-)

Or amputate at both knees, and build a step in front of the sink.

Owain

Tim+[_5_] July 3rd 16 11:35 AM

DerbyBorn wrote:
A lot of heat can escape sideways with a gas hob. I would go for a metal
splashback. The covered MDF won't last long.

See Andy Burns reply. 50mm gap needed.

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile

Tim+[_5_] July 3rd 16 11:35 AM

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
DerbyBorn a écrit :
A lot of heat can escape sideways with a gas hob. I would go for a metal
splashback. The covered MDF won't last long.

It depepends upon how they vent. We have a double oven, one small with
a larger one below it. Its sides and rear are very well insulated, it
uses a fan to draw air in at the rear, which is vents out the front
between the two doors. It runs very cool around the outside casing.

Hob man, hob!! Hobs don't have vents and need space each side.

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile