Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cartels

The UK seems to have cartels in the garden machinery business.
I have been trying to buy a new ride on 28" mower, but find that every
Mountfield or Atco dealer in the country is selling at the same price.
None of them are competing for business. Very frustrating. Does anyone
know of a website where buyers can ask for competitive quotes?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:
The UK seems to have cartels in the garden machinery business.
I have been trying to buy a new ride on 28" mower, but find that every
Mountfield or Atco dealer in the country is selling at the same price.
None of them are competing for business. Very frustrating. Does anyone
know of a website where buyers can ask for competitive quotes?

I don't have an answer for you but I agree. I have a Kubota ride-on
mower, spares are *ridiculously* expensive here. I used to buy them
direct from a supplier in the USA, even with international mail it was
far cheaper. However Kubota have now told them they can't sell
overseas, at least not to the UK.

I now buy as much as possible from AliExpress, even cheaper if they
have what I need.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Capitol wrote:
The UK seems to have cartels in the garden machinery business.
I have been trying to buy a new ride on 28" mower, but find that every
Mountfield or Atco dealer in the country is selling at the same price.
None of them are competing for business. Very frustrating. Does anyone
know of a website where buyers can ask for competitive quotes?

look on ebay. When I was looking for a ride-on in January there were wide
variations between local traders - even for the same machine.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In articlex8edncn5A6z3ZnrLnZ2dnUU78Q3NnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
wrote:

The UK seems to have cartels in the garden machinery business.
I have been trying to buy a new ride on 28" mower, but find that every
Mountfield or Atco dealer in the country is selling at the same price.
None of them are competing for business. Very frustrating. Does anyone
know of a website where buyers can ask for competitive quotes?

look on ebay. When I was looking for a ride-on in January there were wide
variations between local traders - even for the same machine.

Haven't seen any new machines for sale on ebay.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The UK seems to have cartels in the garden machinery
business. I have been trying to buy a new ride on 28" mower, but find
that every Mountfield or Atco dealer in the country is selling at the
same price. None of them are competing for business. Very frustrating.
Does anyone know of a website where buyers can ask for competitive
quotes?

look on ebay. When I was looking for a ride-on in January there were
wide variations between local traders - even for the same machine.

Haven't seen any new machines for sale on ebay.

I got my last mower, brand new, via eBay.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The UK seems to have cartels in the garden machinery business.
I have been trying to buy a new ride on 28" mower, but find that every
Mountfield or Atco dealer in the country is selling at the same price.
None of them are competing for business. Very frustrating. Does anyone
know of a website where buyers can ask for competitive quotes?

look on ebay. When I was looking for a ride-on in January there were wide
variations between local traders - even for the same machine.

Haven't seen any new machines for sale on ebay.

"looking for a ride-on in January" could be the reason - that might be a
good time to buy. Won't now be a really bad time to buy one, since
people will be preparing for the new season?