Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default OT Oyster card or Visitor Oyster card?

I will be in London next month with the gf for a day out. So which card
should I get for her? Chances of her visiting London again in the next 12
months are high.

First trip will be zones 1-5 as I intend to park at Harrow and Wealdstone on
a Sunday.

Next trip will propably be for a few days

So which card do I get?
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/16 10:15, ARW wrote:
I will be in London next month with the gf for a day out. So which card
should I get for her? Chances of her visiting London again in the next
12 months are high.

First trip will be zones 1-5 as I intend to park at Harrow and
Wealdstone on a Sunday.

Next trip will propably be for a few days

So which card do I get?

Standard Oyster will cost you a returnable deposit, alternatively you
can use a contactless bank card, or other methods including Apple Pay.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...ctless-payment

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

I will be in London next month with the gf for a day out. So which card
should I get for her?

Hasn't she got a contactless bank card? That's all you need these days,
but make sure you use the same card to tap in and tap out all day

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ARW wrote:

I will be in London next month with the gf for a day out. So which card
should I get for her?

Hasn't she got a contactless bank card? That's all you need these days,
but make sure you use the same card to tap in and tap out all day

She has not got a contactless bank card.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ARW wrote:

I will be in London next month with the gf for a day out. So which card
should I get for her?

Hasn't she got a contactless bank card? That's all you need these days,
but make sure you use the same card to tap in and tap out all day

She has not got a contactless bank card.

Then it makes sense to get one instead of either Oyster card.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/16 10:15, ARW wrote:
I will be in London next month with the gf for a day out. So which card
should I get for her? Chances of her visiting London again in the next
12 months are high.

First trip will be zones 1-5 as I intend to park at Harrow and
Wealdstone on a Sunday.

Next trip will propably be for a few days

So which card do I get?

Some time back some friends got engaged. Many congratulatory cards were
displayed on their mantelshelf, including one from a mate having a well
recognised dry sense of humour,

"in deepest sympathy..."

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2016 10:47, ARW wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ARW wrote:

I will be in London next month with the gf for a day out. So which card
should I get for her?

Hasn't she got a contactless bank card? That's all you need these
days, but make sure you use the same card to tap in and tap out all day

She has not got a contactless bank card.

If you have both an Oyster card (eg from previous visits) and a
contactless card you could lend her your Oyster and use contactless
yourself. TfL permit this:

"Lending your Oyster card to others

If your Oyster card only has adult rate pay as you go credit on it, you
can lend it to someone else, even if the card is registered in your name."

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 March 2016 10:16:11 UTC, ARW wrote:
I will be in London next month with the gf for a day out. So which card
should I get for her? Chances of her visiting London again in the next 12
months are high.

If you want to visit any of the attractions at https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/ then get paper travelcards issued by a National Rail station to claim the 2-for-1 admission.

Otherwise use a standard Oyster.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 11:06:01 +0000, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

On 13/03/16 10:15, ARW wrote:
I will be in London next month with the gf for a day out. So which card
should I get for her? Chances of her visiting London again in the next
12 months are high.

First trip will be zones 1-5 as I intend to park at Harrow and
Wealdstone on a Sunday.

Next trip will propably be for a few days

So which card do I get?

Some time back some friends got engaged. Many congratulatory cards were
displayed on their mantelshelf, including one from a mate having a well
recognised dry sense of humour,

"in deepest sympathy..."

I did that for my brother, many years ago. Black edge and all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
I will be in London next month with the gf for a day out. So which card
should I get for her? Chances of her visiting London again in the next
12 months are high.

First trip will be zones 1-5 as I intend to park at Harrow and
Wealdstone on a Sunday.

Next trip will propably be for a few days

So which card do I get?

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...on-this-page-2

It depends on how much you will use PT. Oyster is PAYG. You can get a one
day travel card that gives unlimited travel. However, it looks like PAYG
with capping may be the best of all.

--
*A cartoonist was found dead in his home. Details are sketchy.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Oyster is PAYG. You can get a one
day travel card that gives unlimited travel. However, it looks like PAYG
with capping may be the best of all.

I thought TFL would charge you the lesser of the sum of individual
journeys you made, or a one day travelcard that encompassed the zones
you'd been in? Hence the recommendation to use the same contactless
card for all journeys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2016 15:31, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Oyster is PAYG. You can get a one
day travel card that gives unlimited travel. However, it looks like PAYG
with capping may be the best of all.

I thought TFL would charge you the lesser of the sum of individual
journeys you made, or a one day travelcard that encompassed the zones
you'd been in? Hence the recommendation to use the same contactless
card for all journeys.

Nowadays the Oyster/contactless PAYG cap is usually less than the cost
of a Travelcard - and also avoids the need to decide in advance the
zones you need to cover.

Detailed fares are in http://content.tfl.gov.uk/adult-fares.pdf

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I thought TFL would charge you the lesser of the sum of individual
journeys you made, or a one day travelcard that encompassed the zones
you'd been in?

Nowadays the Oyster/contactless PAYG cap is usually less than the cost
of a Travelcard - and also avoids the need to decide in advance the
zones you need to cover.

Thanks, I never used oyster before you could use bank cards with it, but
did remember hearing that it should "play fair" and charge you the
minimum for all your journeys, I've never actually checked up on what it
did charge me on the rare occasions I've used it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote in message
On Sunday, 13 March 2016 10:16:11 UTC, ARW wrote:
I will be in London next month with the gf for a day out. So which card
should I get for her? Chances of her visiting London again in the next 12
months are high.

If you want to visit any of the attractions at
https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/ then get paper travelcards issued by a
National Rail station to claim the 2-for-1 admission.

Otherwise use a standard Oyster.

Do we both have to have paper cards?

I have an Oyster card with automatic top up.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 March 2016 16:38:53 UTC, ARW wrote:
If you want to visit any of the attractions at
https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/ then get paper travelcards issued by a
National Rail station to claim the 2-for-1 admission.

Do we both have to have paper cards?

Yes, if you want to use 2-for-1.

Or you can buy 'dummy' train tickets from eg Queenstown Road (QRB) to Vauxhall (VXH) inbound dated for the first day you need 2-4-1, and an outbound single VXH-QRB dated for the last day of your visit. You can get these from any station but you will need to ask the booking office clerk not get them from a machine.

Note that 2-4-1 will be valid with these 'dummy' tickets at all attractions for which a train journey into central London is appropriate. They won't be valid at attractions "behind" Queenstown Road, where you would need to travel in the opposite direction (e.g. Hampton Court, All England Tennis Club at Wimbledon and Kew Gardens). Another decoy rail ticket (or actual ticket for out of zone travel) would be needed for each of those.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

Then it makes sense to get one instead of either Oyster card.

Two weeks staying in a hostel in Earls Court in 1978,
and you're an expert on London Transport as well now,
eh Bruce ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some terminal ****wit claiming to be
michael adams wrote just
the puerile **** any 2 year old could leave for dead, as always.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Some terminal ****wit claiming to be
michael adams wrote just the puerile **** any 2
year old could leave for dead, as always.

Poor response, Wodney. You need a touch of venom in there old son.
..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/16 09:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
Now of course you need to keep your contactless credit or debit card in a
tin box so it does not get accidentally charged instead of the Oyster.

It happened to me once, I keep Oyster (loaded with a season pass) and
bank cards on opposite sides of my flip wallet, and while I was on the
train realised I had tapped in with my bank card. Luckily, I caught a
platform attendant at the destination, checked and got the bank
transaction cancelled.

If I had forgotten that detail and left the destination station
presenting my Oyster, I would have been deducted a default full days
maximum charge on my bank card for not tapping out.

This happens to a lot of people. Accidental charges add up into the £
millions. :-(

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
If I had forgotten that detail and left the destination station
presenting my Oyster, I would have been deducted a default full days
maximum charge on my bank card for not tapping out.

I'd imagine it's a real problem at the many suburban stations with no
barriers. And for someone not familiar with the system.

--
*How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2016 09:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
Now of course you need to keep your contactless credit or debit card in a
tin box so it does not get accidentally charged instead of the Oyster.

Brian

I have a PAYG oyster card and if I log in to my tfl account there is an
option to register a contactless card. This makes me suspect that an
unknown contactless card will be ignored, though its proximity to a
registered card might result in card clash. The advantage of an Oyster
card is that you can keep it seperate from your money cards which also
means eagle-eyed pickpocketers don't see which pocket your wallet goes
back into.

Yesterday I was in London for the St Patricks day 'procession' which was
a joke, utterly forgettable. From Sussex, with my 60's railcard it cost
me £13.45 to travel 50 miles to and from LOndon and anywhere in zones
1-6, so just for the hell of it I went to the new T5 building to be
nosy. V Impressive steelwork frame and because it is only 10 mins walk
from the end of the runway it was easy to watch the incoming planes.

While walking up past 10 Downing st I noticed black 'donut' tyre marks
in the middle of the road, quite a distance from the cenotaph, outside
where the horses are usually sitting ducks for tourists. Today I heard
that Chris Evans was apologizing for 'desecrating a war grave'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 13/03/16 10:15, ARW wrote:
I will be in London next month with the gf for a day out. So which card
should I get for her? Chances of her visiting London again in the next
12 months are high.

First trip will be zones 1-5 as I intend to park at Harrow and
Wealdstone on a Sunday.

Next trip will propably be for a few days

So which card do I get?

Standard Oyster will cost you a returnable deposit, alternatively you can
use a contactless bank card, or other methods including Apple Pay.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...ctless-payment

Can you still use the returnable deposit as payment for travel? You used to
be able to run up a £5 deficit on an Oyster card.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ARW wrote:

I will be in London next month with the gf for a day out. So which card
should I get for her?

Hasn't she got a contactless bank card? That's all you need these days,
but make sure you use the same card to tap in and tap out all day

She has not got a contactless bank card.

Then it makes sense to get one instead of either Oyster card.

Oyster card it is then.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 14/03/2016 09:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
Now of course you need to keep your contactless credit or debit card in a
tin box so it does not get accidentally charged instead of the Oyster.

Brian

The advantage of an Oyster card is that you can keep it seperate from your
money cards which also means eagle-eyed pickpocketers don't see which
pocket your wallet goes back into.

That will do me.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/16 16:15, Andrew wrote:
On 14/03/2016 09:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
Now of course you need to keep your contactless credit or debit card in a
tin box so it does not get accidentally charged instead of the Oyster.

Brian

I have a PAYG oyster card and if I log in to my tfl account there is an
option to register a contactless card. This makes me suspect that an
unknown contactless card will be ignored

Nope. Registering a card is optional and is useful for online tracking
of journeys etc.

Anyone can still jump on the system without.

, though its proximity to a
registered card might result in card clash. The advantage of an Oyster
card is that you can keep it seperate from your money cards which also
means eagle-eyed pickpocketers don't see which pocket your wallet goes
back into.

Oyster cards can also be loaded with season tickets.

--
Adrian C