Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default heating / hot water - whole new system

On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 3:48:07 PM UTC, News wrote:
In message , Graham.
writes
On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 08:29:48 +0000, News
wrote:

Two caveats. One, I'm biased and hate combis, and Two, although we have
several showers in the house, for no particular reason, we rarely seem
to run more than one simultaneously.

You just told us why.
"Two of us shower in the morning".

But the two who shower in the morning may, or may not do so
simultaneously.

or indeed in the same cubicle simultaneously

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2016 08:05, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 22:20:51 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 09/03/16 20:55, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 20:30:15 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 09/03/16 19:15, Chris Hogg wrote:

You say about a boiler "Use the manufacturer tables to ascertain power
output and then double the size over what it needs to maintain steady
state (or what you think it needs)", and you also give ball-parkbedroom
suggestions for the wattages needed to heat some rooms, e.g. 3-4kW for
a large bedroom. Do those figures include the doubling factor,

yes - that's includes padding.

Thanks. So a 20kW boiler will be just fine.

Plus hot water

I'd say 20kW will be too weedy.

Hmm...I hadn't thought to include that, I must confess, but there will
be an insulated DHW tank in the airing cupboard, and an 'S Plan'
system, and there will only be two of us when we move in, both elderly
(in our 70's), and we're not fanatical about all-over washing on a
daily basis!

Our largeish 3 bedroom is heated by a conventional 18kw oil boiler. The
house is not particularly well insulated. A combi would need to be
larger to supply hot water for a bath. In the evening the sitting room
is kept at 22C.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

But then the shower
cubical is lit by halogen.;-)

That's what you want. Combination of IR heating plus light

Andy