Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Samll problem with garage door remote

I have an automatic garage door operated by remote control. I have 3
remotes , two of which are Hormins, the manufacturer, the other an
independent remote. Mostly they work fine, but after dark sometimes
they fail, this is a fairly recent problem, to operate the door, unless
my wife of I get out of the car and move close to the garage doors. Any
suggestions as to what the problem may be and a possible d=cure? The
batteries in the remotes have been replaced to no avail.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
I have an automatic garage door operated by remote control. I have 3
remotes , two of which are Hormins, the manufacturer, the other an
independent remote. Mostly they work fine, but after dark sometimes
they fail, this is a fairly recent problem, to operate the door, unless
my wife of I get out of the car and move close to the garage doors. Any
suggestions as to what the problem may be and a possible d=cure? The
batteries in the remotes have been replaced to no avail.

I assume you haven't changed your car? Some modern windscreens are
less transparent to radio waves.

Do all of the remotes have the same problem? If so it would suggest
that the problem is at the other end - the receiver in the garage door
opener. Check that the aerial (if there is one) hasn't fallen off
etc. and that you haven't stacked something in the garage that could
be affecting the signal.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
I have an automatic garage door operated by remote control. I have 3
remotes , two of which are Hormins, the manufacturer, the other an
independent remote. Mostly they work fine, but after dark sometimes
they fail, this is a fairly recent problem, to operate the door, unless
my wife of I get out of the car and move close to the garage doors. Any
suggestions as to what the problem may be and a possible d=cure? The
batteries in the remotes have been replaced to no avail.

Something that comes on after dark is operating on the same frequency and
blocking your remotes' signals.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2016 15:19, charles wrote:
In article ,
Broadback wrote:
I have an automatic garage door operated by remote control. I have 3
remotes , two of which are Hormins, the manufacturer, the other an
independent remote. Mostly they work fine, but after dark sometimes
they fail, this is a fairly recent problem, to operate the door, unless
my wife of I get out of the car and move close to the garage doors. Any
suggestions as to what the problem may be and a possible d=cure? The
batteries in the remotes have been replaced to no avail.

Something that comes on after dark is operating on the same frequency and
blocking your remotes' signals.

In reply could it be the light sensors that bring on the outside lights?
I have checked the internal garage door aerial, that seems fine, just as
it has always been.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2016 16:37, Broadback wrote:

In reply could it be the light sensors that bring on the outside lights?
I have checked the internal garage door aerial, that seems fine, just as
it has always been.

Presumably easy enough to test - turn off the light sensors/lights and
retry?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I have an automatic garage door operated by remote control. I have 3
remotes , two of which are Hormins, the manufacturer, the other an
independent remote. Mostly they work fine, but after dark sometimes
they fail, this is a fairly recent problem, to operate the door,
unless my wife of I get out of the car and move close to the garage
doors. Any suggestions as to what the problem may be and a possible
d=cure? The batteries in the remotes have been replaced to no avail.

Something that comes on after dark is operating on the same frequency
and blocking your remotes' signals.

In reply could it be the light sensors that bring on the outside lights?
I have checked the internal garage door aerial, that seems fine, just as
it has always been.

Thinking back: Fluorescent lights used to interfere with IR sensors used
for TC remotes, but I'd imagine that the door remote is using radio signals
not IR. Still it might be worth unplugging any bulb that comes on after
dark in case it's doing something it shouldn't.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have an automatic garage door operated by remote control. I have 3
remotes , two of which are Hormins, the manufacturer, the other an
independent remote. Mostly they work fine, but after dark sometimes they
fail, this is a fairly recent problem, to operate the door, unless my wife
of I get out of the car and move close to the garage doors. Any
suggestions as to what the problem may be and a possible d=cure? The
batteries in the remotes have been replaced to no avail.

Looks like the receiver is going electronically deafer
and the after dark is most likely just a temperature effect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As its after dark, is there a nearby floodlight of some kind, either gas
discharge or led. It could be that when this is on, there is local
interference on the band used by the remote. I see this even on things like
remote controlled mains outlets, as the interference comes down the mains,
on supposes. So much equipment these days chucks out crap on the mains or
through the air its a wonder anything works.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Broadback" wrote in message
I have an automatic garage door operated by remote control. I have 3
remotes , two of which are Hormins, the manufacturer, the other an
independent remote. Mostly they work fine, but after dark sometimes they
fail, this is a fairly recent problem, to operate the door, unless my wife
of I get out of the car and move close to the garage doors. Any suggestions
as to what the problem may be and a possible d=cure? The batteries in the
remotes have been replaced to no avail.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/16 14:39, Broadback wrote:
I have an automatic garage door operated by remote control. I have 3
remotes , two of which are Hormins, the manufacturer, the other an
independent remote. Mostly they work fine, but after dark sometimes
they fail, this is a fairly recent problem, to operate the door, unless
my wife of I get out of the car and move close to the garage doors. Any
suggestions as to what the problem may be and a possible d=cure? The
batteries in the remotes have been replaced to no avail.

Any chance of changing channels to lessen any RFI?

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Broadback wrote:
I have an automatic garage door operated by remote control. I have 3
remotes , two of which are Hormins, the manufacturer, the other an
independent remote. Mostly they work fine, but after dark sometimes
they fail, this is a fairly recent problem, to operate the door, unless
my wife of I get out of the car and move close to the garage doors. Any
suggestions as to what the problem may be and a possible d=cure? The
batteries in the remotes have been replaced to no avail.

Something that comes on after dark is operating on the same frequency and
blocking your remotes' signals.

In reply could it be the light sensors that bring on the outside lights? I
have checked the internal garage door aerial, that seems fine, just as it
has always been.

I am still curious as to if you have found something.

Any updates?

--
Adam