DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Beko Freezer door often not shutting correctly (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/389074-beko-freezer-door-often-not-shutting-correctly.html)

Mick IOW January 12th 16 10:54 AM

Beko Freezer door often not shutting correctly

Hi all,
I have an 4 year old Beko A Class Fridge/Freezer with the
fridge on the top part.

I live alone so cant blame anyone else, but often after closing the
freezer section door, I later find it had not closed tightly and a lot
of frost/ice forming inside.

I keep reminding myself to check it has shut correctly but it still
happens!

Is it possible to increase or renew the magnetic catch plate, or fir a
2nd closure to the door?
Any thoughts welcomed.
Mick.

Tim+[_5_] January 12th 16 11:12 AM

Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all,
I have an 4 year old Beko A Class Fridge/Freezer with the
fridge on the top part.

I live alone so cant blame anyone else, but often after closing the
freezer section door, I later find it had not closed tightly and a lot
of frost/ice forming inside.

I keep reminding myself to check it has shut correctly but it still
happens!

Is it possible to increase or renew the magnetic catch plate, or fir a
2nd closure to the door?
Any thoughts welcomed.
Mick.

If you haven't done so already, properly defrost the freezer compartment.
If there is any ice preventing the door shutting tightly the problem will
keep recurring.

At only four years old I wouldn't expect to be replacing door seals. Of
course it's always possible that it is faulty. You might find a childproof
catch that would add an extra level of closure protection.

Tim

Tim

newshound January 12th 16 11:44 AM

On 12/01/2016 10:54, Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all,
I have an 4 year old Beko A Class Fridge/Freezer with the
fridge on the top part.

I live alone so cant blame anyone else, but often after closing the
freezer section door, I later find it had not closed tightly and a lot
of frost/ice forming inside.

I keep reminding myself to check it has shut correctly but it still
happens!

Is it possible to increase or renew the magnetic catch plate, or fir a
2nd closure to the door?
Any thoughts welcomed.
Mick.

Does it really have a magnetic catch plate? Most machines have a hollow
flexible seal with a magnetic strip all the way round, which should seal
all the way round (check with a strip of paper).

I have a Samsung fridge-freezer which was a bit like this when
delivered, but the seal relaxed itself after a short while and now works
fine.

A standard "fault" on new machines is for the door to be slightly out of
plane, effectively with a slight "crease" along one diagonal. Service
guys get the householder to go away while they correct the geometry with
judicious use of force (with the door still in place).

Start with the "paper" check.

NY January 12th 16 12:25 PM

"Mick IOW" wrote in message
Hi all,
I have an 4 year old Beko A Class Fridge/Freezer with the
fridge on the top part.

I live alone so cant blame anyone else, but often after closing the
freezer section door, I later find it had not closed tightly and a lot
of frost/ice forming inside.

I keep reminding myself to check it has shut correctly but it still
happens!

Is it possible to increase or renew the magnetic catch plate, or fir a
2nd closure to the door?
Any thoughts welcomed.
Mick.

This reminds me of a friend who I've known since university. She did
physics, so she really ought to know about these things... She had
complained on Facebook that her fridge was not getting really cold. Various
people made the point about putting a lot of newly-bought shopping (at room
temperature) into it and that it may take a while after that to get back to
the correct temp.

Then she threw in a bouncer. "Does it matter that my fridge doesn't have a
door on it - the door fell off a while ago". You could tell from the various
restrained, while wanting to say "You silly moo. Of *course* it matters! How
the F is the fridge supposed to keep cool if all the cold air is falling out
of the fridge and being replaced by room temp air".

She muttered something about placing lots of bottles of Coke at the front of
the shelves to make a sort of partial door, but I still can't work out what
was going on. It seems that the fridge had sort-of worked (though the
compressor ran 24/7) for several years but now it wasn't. The poor motor had
probably finally seized up through overheating and over-use.

Some people!

Going back to you problem. I had a deep freeze that sometimes failed to seal
properly at one corner - you could see condensation on the outside of the
case at that point. I found that once it had got into that state, where one
but of the rubber seal was not making a good contact, the best remedy was to
use a bit of sellotape to hold that part of the door tightly shut for a few
hours, after which time the seal had returned to normal and/or the freezer
had cooled down to -18, and then you could remove the sellotape and open and
close the door as normal.

dennis@home[_5_] January 12th 16 01:06 PM

Beko Freezer door often not shutting correctly

On 12/01/2016 10:54, Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all,
I have an 4 year old Beko A Class Fridge/Freezer with the
fridge on the top part.

I live alone so cant blame anyone else, but often after closing the
freezer section door, I later find it had not closed tightly and a lot
of frost/ice forming inside.

I keep reminding myself to check it has shut correctly but it still
happens!

Is it possible to increase or renew the magnetic catch plate, or fir a
2nd closure to the door?
Any thoughts welcomed.
Mick.

Check the hinge plates are attached properly, especially the bottom one.
I came across one where the screws had started to come out.

DerbyBorn[_5_] January 12th 16 01:49 PM

Beko Freezer door often not shutting correctly

Also - check that the feet are carefully adjusted. Does the gap normally
appear at the top or bottom? This can be a sign that the cabinet has
twisted slightly due to the feet not being adjusted carefully.

Jim January 12th 16 10:17 PM

Mick IOW Wrote in message:
Hi all,
I have an 4 year old Beko A Class Fridge/Freezer with the
fridge on the top part.

I live alone so cant blame anyone else, but often after closing the
freezer section door, I later find it had not closed tightly and a lot
of frost/ice forming inside.

I keep reminding myself to check it has shut correctly but it still
happens!

Is it possible to increase or renew the magnetic catch plate, or fir a
2nd closure to the door?
Any thoughts welcomed.
Mick.

Is it "integrated" with decor doors matching the kitchen units? Or
freestanding / white doors on show?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

alan_m January 12th 16 10:48 PM

On 12/01/2016 11:44, newshound wrote:

A standard "fault" on new machines is for the door to be slightly out of
plane, effectively with a slight "crease" along one diagonal. Service
guys get the householder to go away while they correct the geometry with
judicious use of force (with the door still in place).

Start with the "paper" check.

Instructional video at
https://youtu.be/sa7o49uOzVI?t=1332

Youtube Video clip from the channel 4 Secret Life Of Machines - The
Refrigerator. Link is to just before the bit with the paper test and
brute force adjustment.

alan_m January 12th 16 10:49 PM

Beko Freezer door often not shutting correctly

On 12/01/2016 14:51, Jonno wrote:

Is it level ?

And remove heavy goods from the door shelves.

newshound January 12th 16 11:14 PM

On 12/01/2016 22:48, alan_m wrote:
On 12/01/2016 11:44, newshound wrote:

A standard "fault" on new machines is for the door to be slightly out of
plane, effectively with a slight "crease" along one diagonal. Service
guys get the householder to go away while they correct the geometry with
judicious use of force (with the door still in place).

Start with the "paper" check.

Instructional video at
https://youtu.be/sa7o49uOzVI?t=1332

Youtube Video clip from the channel 4 Secret Life Of Machines - The
Refrigerator. Link is to just before the bit with the paper test and
brute force adjustment.

I'd forgotten what a wonderful series that was. I like to think of
myself as a Tim, but I sometimes fear I am more of a Rex.

Mick IOW January 13th 16 06:38 AM

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 22:10:22 +0000 (GMT+00:00), jim k wrote:

Mick IOW Wrote in message:
Hi all,
I have an 4 year old Beko A Class Fridge/Freezer with the
fridge on the top part.

I live alone so cant blame anyone else, but often after closing the
freezer section door, I later find it had not closed tightly and a lot
of frost/ice forming inside.

I keep reminding myself to check it has shut correctly but it still
happens!

Is it possible to increase or renew the magnetic catch plate, or fir a
2nd closure to the door?
Any thoughts welcomed.
Mick.

Is it "integrated" with decor doors matching the kitchen units? Or
freestanding / white doors on show?

It is a freestanding one.

I will try the leveling and remove the heavy bottles from the door
storage first.
Thanks everyone for your help.
Mick.

Jim January 13th 16 09:17 AM

jim k Wrote in message:
Mick IOW Wrote in message:
Hi all,
I have an 4 year old Beko A Class Fridge/Freezer with the
fridge on the top part.

I live alone so cant blame anyone else, but often after closing the
freezer section door, I later find it had not closed tightly and a lot
of frost/ice forming inside.

I keep reminding myself to check it has shut correctly but it still
happens!

Is it possible to increase or renew the magnetic catch plate, or fir a
2nd closure to the door?
Any thoughts welcomed.
Mick.

Is it "integrated" with decor doors matching the kitchen units? Or
freestanding / white doors on show?

Ah then it's probly not the same faulty hinge problem I sorted for
a relly recently, although ISTR the hinges weren't that special.

In essence the original hinges on s CDA builtin fridge had broken
internally so the fridge door needed a slight push to close and
then it appeared the magnetic seal held it.....Until it popped
ajar some time later... unnoticed for hours /days at a
time

Cured with replacement hinges from ebay.

Details are here somewhere if that sounds of interest to anyone.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Tim+[_5_] January 13th 16 10:10 AM

Beko Freezer door often not shutting correctly

Jonno wrote:
Tim+ scribbled

alan_m wrote:
On 12/01/2016 14:51, Jonno wrote:

Is it level ?

And remove heavy goods from the door shelves.

In the freezer?

Broken/cracked inner and the door is full of ice.

That's possible though unlikely as condensation streaming down the door
would be obvious. I think Alan was mixing up a fridge door with a freezer
door, the latter rarely having storage capabilities.

Tim

Mick IOW January 13th 16 05:11 PM

Beko Freezer door often not shutting correctly

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 06:49:50 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

alan_m wrote:
On 12/01/2016 14:51, Jonno wrote:

Is it level ?

And remove heavy goods from the door shelves.

In the freezer?

Sorry, I was thinking of the fridge part above it!!!
Mick.