DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Problem with softwood threshold (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/388282-problem-softwood-threshold.html)

Jonathan December 21st 15 05:37 PM

Problem with softwood threshold

I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be the answer but I cannot find one.

Has anyone any recommendations?

Thanks

Jonathan

Alan Dawes December 21st 15 06:05 PM

Problem with softwood threshold

In article ,
Jonathan wrote:
I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an
enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing
the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be the
answer but I cannot find one.

Have you looked on the Wickes site? They do a range of galvanised steel or
aluminium flat bars or L section although they seem to be hidden away in
the fire door section! eg:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Doo...eals/c/1000626

The larger B and Q store also do both flat and angle aluminium and steel.

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6

Tim Watts[_3_] December 21st 15 06:06 PM

On 21/12/15 17:37, Jonathan wrote:
I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be the answer but I cannot find one.

Has anyone any recommendations?

Thanks

Jonathan

Bit of zinc or copper sheet hammered round? Or stainless steel checequer
plate.

Pretty sure B&Q sell some of those in small sheet sizes. I've seen zinc
used this way.

Stuart Noble December 21st 15 06:48 PM

On 21/12/2015 18:06, Tim Watts wrote:
On 21/12/15 17:37, Jonathan wrote:
I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an
enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing
the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be the
answer but I cannot find one.

Has anyone any recommendations?

Thanks

Jonathan

Bit of zinc or copper sheet hammered round? Or stainless steel checequer
plate.

Pretty sure B&Q sell some of those in small sheet sizes. I've seen zinc
used this way.

Halfway decent softwood can easily withstand humans standing on it,
until it starts to rot.......

Clive George December 21st 15 06:54 PM

On 21/12/2015 18:48, stuart noble wrote:
On 21/12/2015 18:06, Tim Watts wrote:
On 21/12/15 17:37, Jonathan wrote:
I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an
enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing
the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be the
answer but I cannot find one.

Has anyone any recommendations?

Thanks

Jonathan

Bit of zinc or copper sheet hammered round? Or stainless steel checequer
plate.

Pretty sure B&Q sell some of those in small sheet sizes. I've seen zinc
used this way.

Halfway decent softwood can easily withstand humans standing on it,
until it starts to rot.......

Trouble is it's not people standing still on it, it's people scuffing it
as they step on and off.

David Lang December 21st 15 07:36 PM

Problem with softwood threshold

On 21/12/2015 18:05, Alan Dawes wrote:
In article ,
Jonathan wrote:
I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an
enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing
the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be the
answer but I cannot find one.

Have you looked on the Wickes site? They do a range of galvanised steel or
aluminium flat bars or L section although they seem to be hidden away in
the fire door section! eg:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Doo...eals/c/1000626

The larger B and Q store also do both flat and angle aluminium and steel.

Alan

I've used the Wickes ally checker plate angle for exactly that job.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Chris French December 21st 15 07:43 PM

Problem with softwood threshold

In message ,
Jonathan writes
I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an
enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing
the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be the
answer but I cannot find one.

Has anyone any recommendations?

aluminium chequer plate?

eg

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Metal...erplate-120-x-
1000mm/p/116695

There are places that will sell it cut to size
--
Chris French

PeterC December 22nd 15 08:18 AM

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 09:37:51 -0800 (PST), Jonathan wrote:

I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be the answer but I cannot find one.

Has anyone any recommendations?

Thanks

Jonathan

Hardwood. Mine are 60 yeras old, some are a bit worn but no serious damage.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Jonathan December 22nd 15 10:51 AM

Problem with softwood threshold

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 7:51:11 PM UTC, Chris French wrote:
In message ,
Jonathan writes
I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an
enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing
the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be the
answer but I cannot find one.

Has anyone any recommendations?

aluminium chequer plate?

eg

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Metal...erplate-120-x-
1000mm/p/116695

There are places that will sell it cut to size
--
Chris French

Thanks that looks the biz,

Jonathan

Jonathan December 22nd 15 12:06 PM

Problem with softwood threshold

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 7:51:11 PM UTC, Chris French wrote:
In message ,
Jonathan writes
I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an
enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing
the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be the
answer but I cannot find one.

Has anyone any recommendations?

aluminium chequer plate?

eg

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Metal...erplate-120-x-
1000mm/p/116695

There are places that will sell it cut to size
--
Chris French

I found this site which cuts to size at a reasonable price:

www.clickmetal.co.uk/

Thanks for your help, it's now ordered.

Jonathan

Vortex13 December 22nd 15 12:10 PM

On 21/12/2015 17:37, Jonathan wrote:
I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be the answer but I cannot find one.

Has anyone any recommendations?

Thanks

Jonathan

For my front door I used copper sheet strip purchased from eBay. Now
it's weathered it looks great.