Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problem with softwood threshold

I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be the answer but I cannot find one.

Has anyone any recommendations?

Thanks

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jonathan wrote:
I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an
enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing
the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be the
answer but I cannot find one.

Have you looked on the Wickes site? They do a range of galvanised steel or
aluminium flat bars or L section although they seem to be hidden away in
the fire door section! eg:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Doo...eals/c/1000626

The larger B and Q store also do both flat and angle aluminium and steel.

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/15 17:37, Jonathan wrote:
I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be the answer but I cannot find one.

Has anyone any recommendations?

Thanks

Jonathan

Bit of zinc or copper sheet hammered round? Or stainless steel checequer
plate.

Pretty sure B&Q sell some of those in small sheet sizes. I've seen zinc
used this way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2015 18:06, Tim Watts wrote:
On 21/12/15 17:37, Jonathan wrote:
I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an
enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing
the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be the
answer but I cannot find one.

Has anyone any recommendations?

Thanks

Jonathan

Bit of zinc or copper sheet hammered round? Or stainless steel checequer
plate.

Pretty sure B&Q sell some of those in small sheet sizes. I've seen zinc
used this way.

Halfway decent softwood can easily withstand humans standing on it,
until it starts to rot.......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2015 18:48, stuart noble wrote:
On 21/12/2015 18:06, Tim Watts wrote:
On 21/12/15 17:37, Jonathan wrote:
I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an
enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing
the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be the
answer but I cannot find one.

Has anyone any recommendations?

Thanks

Jonathan

Bit of zinc or copper sheet hammered round? Or stainless steel checequer
plate.

Pretty sure B&Q sell some of those in small sheet sizes. I've seen zinc
used this way.

Halfway decent softwood can easily withstand humans standing on it,
until it starts to rot.......

Trouble is it's not people standing still on it, it's people scuffing it
as they step on and off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2015 18:05, Alan Dawes wrote:
In article ,
Jonathan wrote:
I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an
enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing
the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be the
answer but I cannot find one.

Have you looked on the Wickes site? They do a range of galvanised steel or
aluminium flat bars or L section although they seem to be hidden away in
the fire door section! eg:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Doo...eals/c/1000626

The larger B and Q store also do both flat and angle aluminium and steel.

Alan

I've used the Wickes ally checker plate angle for exactly that job.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Jonathan writes
I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an
enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing
the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be the
answer but I cannot find one.

Has anyone any recommendations?

aluminium chequer plate?

eg

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Metal...erplate-120-x-
1000mm/p/116695

There are places that will sell it cut to size
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 09:37:51 -0800 (PST), Jonathan wrote:

I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be the answer but I cannot find one.

Has anyone any recommendations?

Thanks

Jonathan

Hardwood. Mine are 60 yeras old, some are a bit worn but no serious damage.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 7:51:11 PM UTC, Chris French wrote:
In message ,
Jonathan writes
I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an
enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing
the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be the
answer but I cannot find one.

Has anyone any recommendations?

aluminium chequer plate?

eg

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Metal...erplate-120-x-
1000mm/p/116695

There are places that will sell it cut to size
--
Chris French

Thanks that looks the biz,

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 7:51:11 PM UTC, Chris French wrote:
In message ,
Jonathan writes
I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an
enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing
the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be the
answer but I cannot find one.

Has anyone any recommendations?

aluminium chequer plate?

eg

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Metal...erplate-120-x-
1000mm/p/116695

There are places that will sell it cut to size
--
Chris French

I found this site which cuts to size at a reasonable price:

www.clickmetal.co.uk/

Thanks for your help, it's now ordered.

Jonathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2015 17:37, Jonathan wrote:
I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be the answer but I cannot find one.

Has anyone any recommendations?

Thanks

Jonathan

For my front door I used copper sheet strip purchased from eBay. Now
it's weathered it looks great.

Door Threshold Problem [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 2nd 09 05:05 AM
MDF vs softwood Richard UK diy 8 February 29th 08 10:41 PM
Use of softwood flooring [email protected] UK diy 9 July 21st 07 05:22 PM
softwood floor Fred Woodworking 1 November 12th 06 10:53 AM
Threshold air gap problem grandad Home Repair 3 November 20th 05 01:00 AM