Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Whats best for marking tiles for cutting

When doing this previously I would mark out the tile for cutting using
whatever was at hand but mostly the line for cutting would wash off when
using a wet tile cutter.
What is best way to mark (a line) and with what? so it doesnt wash off
easily.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2015 22:39, ss wrote:
When doing this previously I would mark out the tile for cutting using
whatever was at hand but mostly the line for cutting would wash off when
using a wet tile cutter.
What is best way to mark (a line) and with what? so it doesnt wash off
easily.

Permanent Marker. You can buy them in WHS - Staedler or Sharpie with
sharp points. Permanent is a slight misnomer - the ink can be removed
using an alcohol based solvent - Meths or if you don't have any, Gin or
Vodka :-)

Malcolm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2015 22:39, ss wrote:
When doing this previously I would mark out the tile for cutting using
whatever was at hand but mostly the line for cutting would wash off when
using a wet tile cutter.
What is best way to mark (a line) and with what? so it doesnt wash off
easily.

Chinagraph pencil. Quite hard to find.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ss wrote:
When doing this previously I would mark out the tile for cutting using
whatever was at hand but mostly the line for cutting would wash off when
using a wet tile cutter.
What is best way to mark (a line) and with what? so it doesnt wash off
easily.

Chinagraph pemcil. And it comes of easily when you want it to.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David Lang wrote:
On 18/12/2015 22:39, ss wrote:
When doing this previously I would mark out the tile for cutting using
whatever was at hand but mostly the line for cutting would wash off
when using a wet tile cutter. What is best way to mark (a line) and
with what? so it doesnt wash off easily.

Chinagraph pencil. Quite hard to find.

Suppose they might well be now. I've still got a stock from my tape
editing days. ;-)

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

In ,
wrote:
When doing this previously I would mark out the tile for cutting using
whatever was at hand but mostly the line for cutting would wash off when
using a wet tile cutter.
What is best way to mark (a line) and with what? so it doesnt wash off
easily.

Chinagraph pemcil. And it comes of easily when you want it to.

Ok thanks just ordered one on ebay for £1.95 (red) that should allow
marking for both white and black tiles.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chinagraph...gPS39X1BusyVgA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Argh, a Job I hated. In the end I used a very sharp pointy thing as this
seemed to make less mess at the edges when cutting them. Horrible to see
though, I was losing my sight at the time!
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Malcolm Race" wrote in message
On 18/12/2015 22:39, ss wrote:
When doing this previously I would mark out the tile for cutting using
whatever was at hand but mostly the line for cutting would wash off when
using a wet tile cutter.
What is best way to mark (a line) and with what? so it doesnt wash off
easily.

Permanent Marker. You can buy them in WHS - Staedler or Sharpie with
sharp points. Permanent is a slight misnomer - the ink can be removed
using an alcohol based solvent - Meths or if you don't have any, Gin or
Vodka :-)

Malcolm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/15 22:39, ss wrote:
When doing this previously I would mark out the tile for cutting using
whatever was at hand but mostly the line for cutting would wash off when
using a wet tile cutter.
What is best way to mark (a line) and with what? so it doesnt wash off
easily.

I used a Sharpie pen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 18/12/15 22:39, ss wrote:
When doing this previously I would mark out the tile for cutting using
whatever was at hand but mostly the line for cutting would wash off when
using a wet tile cutter.
What is best way to mark (a line) and with what? so it doesnt wash off
easily.

I used a Sharpie pen.

I still do too but I find it does start to wash off the moment the
wet tile saw spray hits it. Some ? dried? edges of the sharpie
line usually last long enough to get the job done, but
complicated cuts can be a bit of a gamble/need a tweek because if
it.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
When doing this previously I would mark out the tile for cutting using
whatever was at hand but mostly the line for cutting would wash off
when using a wet tile cutter.
What is best way to mark (a line) and with what? so it doesnt wash off
easily.

A tilers pencil:
https://www.diatechuk.com/marking-pencils-crayons

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 13:22:36 -0000, "Phil L"
wrote:

ss wrote:
When doing this previously I would mark out the tile for cutting using
whatever was at hand but mostly the line for cutting would wash off
when using a wet tile cutter.
What is best way to mark (a line) and with what? so it doesnt wash off
easily.

A tilers pencil:
https://www.diatechuk.com/marking-pencils-crayons

Nice to see Ms Wax has her own crayon ;-)

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2015 13:22, Phil L wrote:
ss wrote:
When doing this previously I would mark out the tile for cutting using
whatever was at hand but mostly the line for cutting would wash off
when using a wet tile cutter.
What is best way to mark (a line) and with what? so it doesnt wash off
easily.

A tilers pencil:
https://www.diatechuk.com/marking-pencils-crayons

K'inell! £6.19 for a pencil?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
When doing this previously I would mark out the tile for cutting
using whatever was at hand but mostly the line for cutting would
wash off when using a wet tile cutter.
What is best way to mark (a line) and with what? so it doesnt wash
off easily.

A tilers pencil:
https://www.diatechuk.com/marking-pencils-crayons

K'inell! £6.19 for a pencil?

Yes, but it'll last 10 years or more, this is providing you dont:
Stand on it and snap it into pieces.
Leave it under someone's bath.
Lose it in a van full of tools / rubbish / things-that-might-come-in-handy
Put it on the dashboard and watch it roll down a heater vent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Lang wrote:

K'inell! £6.19 for a pencil?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262047983419

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
When doing this previously I would mark out the tile for cutting
using whatever was at hand but mostly the line for cutting would
wash off when using a wet tile cutter.
What is best way to mark (a line) and with what? so it doesnt wash
off easily.

A tilers pencil:
https://www.diatechuk.com/marking-pencils-crayons

K'inell! £6.19 for a pencil?

Yes, but it'll last 10 years or more, this is providing you dont:
Stand on it and snap it into pieces.
Leave it under someone's bath.
Lose it in a van full of tools / rubbish / things-that-might-come-in-handy
Put it on the dashboard and watch it roll down a heater vent.

said with feeling - I presume you have the T shirt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
When doing this previously I would mark out the tile for cutting
using whatever was at hand but mostly the line for cutting would
wash off when using a wet tile cutter.
What is best way to mark (a line) and with what? so it doesnt wash
off easily.

A tilers pencil:
https://www.diatechuk.com/marking-pencils-crayons

K'inell! £6.19 for a pencil?

Yes, but it'll last 10 years or more, this is providing you dont:
Stand on it and snap it into pieces.
Leave it under someone's bath.
Lose it in a van full of tools / rubbish / things-that-might-come-in-handy
Put it on the dashboard and watch it roll down a heater vent.

ROLF!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2015 22:39, ss wrote:
When doing this previously I would mark out the tile for cutting using
whatever was at hand but mostly the line for cutting would wash off when
using a wet tile cutter.
What is best way to mark (a line) and with what? so it doesnt wash off
easily.

A bog standard pencil worked for me when I tiled a kitchen, utility
room, storage room, bathroom, toilet and shower room.