Browny

Default Fire removed - what next?

Hi, I've been looking on this site for an answer to my question but
seem to have found conflicting info.

I've removed the gas fire in my lounge and do not intend to put
another one in it's place. I plan to terminate the gas outlet and
plaster it into the wall, well I plan to get someone in to do it.

My main question though is regarding the chimney.
I was planning to just block it off and plaster over it but.....
Do I need to vent it with an air brick or similar?
Are there any building regs which state that the chimney must be
vented?

I do not want to vent it unless I have to, as we plan to place
cupboards where the fire was, are there any alternatives?
There is nothing else that uses the chimney.
The construction of the chimney is those breeze blocks with the
mid-section removed, not sure of the technical name.
There is no chimney pot or similar on the roof, it comes out of one of
the ridge tiles.
All advice appreciated, especially regarding any building regs.
Cheers, Mark.
BillR

Browny wrote:
[...]

It should be ventilated by an air brick or condensation could form in the
chimney.
I saw builder renovating cottage had done this. Internal Airbrick was about
18" off the floor.
Now builders are not noted for doing things that aren't necessary...