Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Default Headlight (low beam) not working (Nissan Tino 1.8, 2001)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

Right - so no volts getting to the fuse. Which means the fault is
in the feed to it.

I posted the Hayens schematic he

http://tinyurl.com/hv3ssfb

Can anyone decipher that and tell me what the relay should look like?

BTW, I'm puzzled by that schematic, because it doesn't show any
single- filament headlights. My low beam lights are separate,
single-filament bulbs.

Typical Haynes - trying to show every possible combination of all
variants in the same diagram. How I hate them. ;-)

Looks like there are only relays involved if you have daytime running
lights?

The car has no daytime running lights. There is a relay labeled "main"
being an 80A relay. Would that mean 'main beam'?

If there is no relay for the low beam bulbs, this means that the full
current for both low-beam bulbs goes through a single headlight switch
contact, yes?

JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

JD wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

Right - so no volts getting to the fuse. Which means the fault is
in the feed to it.

I posted the Hayens schematic he

http://tinyurl.com/hv3ssfb

Can anyone decipher that and tell me what the relay should look like?

BTW, I'm puzzled by that schematic, because it doesn't show any
single- filament headlights. My low beam lights are separate,
single-filament bulbs.

Typical Haynes - trying to show every possible combination of all
variants in the same diagram. How I hate them. ;-)

Looks like there are only relays involved if you have daytime running
lights?

The car has no daytime running lights. There is a relay labeled "main"
being an 80A relay. Would that mean 'main beam'?

Where are you looking at? There is a relay labelled 'Main' in the fascia
relay box that feeds various 'ignition on' circuits; it will have nothing to
do with the lights.

There are either one or two under-bonnet relay boxes shown in the link I
posted. The smaller one of the two holds the headlight relays, but may not
be fitted to your vehicle.

If there is no relay for the low beam bulbs, this means that the full
current for both low-beam bulbs goes through a single headlight switch
contact, yes?

If your vehicle has only one under-bonnet relay box, then that is the case,
yes.

Whichever arrangement you have, if your fault is with the dip beam in one
headlight, the problem can only be at or after the fuse box, because
everything before that is a single circuit.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

In article ,
JD wrote:
The car has no daytime running lights. There is a relay labeled "main"
being an 80A relay. Would that mean 'main beam'?

Dunno.

If there is no relay for the low beam bulbs, this means that the full
current for both low-beam bulbs goes through a single headlight switch
contact, yes?

Not if there is a relay for the headlights somewhere. It would be the dip
switch that then handles the full current.

--
*I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Whelan wrote in
:

The car has no daytime running lights. There is a relay labeled
"main" being an 80A relay. Would that mean 'main beam'?

Where are you looking at? There is a relay labelled 'Main' in the
fascia relay box that feeds various 'ignition on' circuits; it will
have nothing to do with the lights.

Hi Chris, I was looking at the under-bonnet relay that is dlightly to thr
nearside of center (not the one in your link)

There are either one or two under-bonnet relay boxes shown in the link
I posted. The smaller one of the two holds the headlight relays, but
may not be fitted to your vehicle.

I pullod out all of the six relays in the box shown in your link but none
had any effect on the low-beam bulb that is working properly, NB There are
fewer relays in that box than shown in your link.

If there is no relay for the low beam bulbs, this means that the full
current for both low-beam bulbs goes through a single headlight
switch contact, yes?

If your vehicle has only one under-bonnet relay box, then that is the
case, yes.

Whichever arrangement you have, if your fault is with the dip beam in
one headlight, the problem can only be at or after the fuse box,
because everything before that is a single circuit.

Okay - thanks. I'm tempted to just brdge the two positive sides of the two
low-beam fuses, so that power gets to the currently-dead low-beam bulb, via
it's own normal fuse.

JD

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
JD wrote:
The car has no daytime running lights. There is a relay labeled "main"
being an 80A relay. Would that mean 'main beam'?

Dunno.

If there is no relay for the low beam bulbs, this means that the full
current for both low-beam bulbs goes through a single headlight switch
contact, yes?

Not if there is a relay for the headlights somewhere. It would be the dip
switch that then handles the full current.

I cannot find a relay for the low beam bulbs at all. I just made a new
discovery though: the positive side of the low-beam fuse sockets are live,
even when the lights are switched off. I guess this means the power from
the battery goes directly to the fuse box, and then after going through a
fuse, the feed goes to the headlight switch before going on to the light
bulb. This means it could be the headlight switch that's caput, doesn't it?
That's assuming that there is two separate contacts inside the headlight
switch - one for each bulb. If there is only one contact, then the break in
the circuit must be elsewhere.

JD

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Whelan wrote in
:

JD wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

[...]

I just found out the positive side of the low-beam fuse sockets are live,
even when the lights are switched off. I guess this means the power from
the battery goes directly to the fuse box, and then after going through
the fuse, the feed must go to the headlight switch before going on to the
light bulb. This means the headlight switch may be at fault doesn't it?
To me that seems more likely than a break in the wiring, don't you agree?

That's assuming that there is two separate contacts inside the headlight
switch - one for each bulb. Is that likely? If there is only one contact,
then the break in the circuit must be elsewhere.

JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 11/12/2015 17:37, JD wrote:

snip

I cannot find a relay for the low beam bulbs at all. I just made a new
discovery though: the positive side of the low-beam fuse sockets are live,
even when the lights are switched off.

How does this reconcile with "What I have now discovered is that there
is no voltage
between one side of the fuse socket and the other"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

JD wrote:

[...]

I cannot find a relay for the low beam bulbs at all. I just made a new
discovery though: the positive side of the low-beam fuse sockets are live,
even when the lights are switched off. I guess this means the power from
the battery goes directly to the fuse box, and then after going through a
fuse, the feed goes to the headlight switch before going on to the light
bulb. This means it could be the headlight switch that's caput, doesn't
it? That's assuming that there is two separate contacts inside the
headlight switch - one for each bulb. If there is only one contact, then
the break in the circuit must be elsewhere.

Are you able to see my posts?

I ask because you have already been told that if you have no daytime running
lights, then there are no relays for the headlights.

I would be amazed if any car maker would provide separate contacts, which
would also mean extra wiring, for each individual bulb.

If you are *sure* the bulb is OK, and you are *sure* there is no voltage
reaching the bulb, in the absence of a wiring diagram your only option is to
physically trace the loom back to wherever it connects to, and test there.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

JD wrote:

[...]

I cannot find a relay for the low beam bulbs at all. I just made a new
discovery though: the positive side of the low-beam fuse sockets are live,
even when the lights are switched off. I guess this means the power from
the battery goes directly to the fuse box, and then after going through a
fuse, the feed goes to the headlight switch before going on to the light
bulb. This means it could be the headlight switch that's caput, doesn't
it? That's assuming that there is two separate contacts inside the
headlight switch - one for each bulb. If there is only one contact, then
the break in the circuit must be elsewhere.

Here, see if this helps. You need diagram 4:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cxw9lks1w7...0Tino.pdf?dl=0

Note - it will only be there for one week!

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Fredxxx wrote in :

I cannot find a relay for the low beam bulbs at all. I just made a
new discovery though: the positive side of the low-beam fuse sockets
are live, even when the lights are switched off.

How does this reconcile with "What I have now discovered is that there
is no voltage
between one side of the fuse socket and the other"?

I don't know. I find car circuitry hard to fathom.

JD

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Whelan wrote in
:

JD wrote:

[...]

I cannot find a relay for the low beam bulbs at all. I just made a
new discovery though: the positive side of the low-beam fuse sockets
are live, even when the lights are switched off. I guess this means
the power from the battery goes directly to the fuse box, and then
after going through a fuse, the feed goes to the headlight switch
before going on to the light bulb. This means it could be the
headlight switch that's caput, doesn't it? That's assuming that there
is two separate contacts inside the headlight switch - one for each
bulb. If there is only one contact, then the break in the circuit
must be elsewhere.

Here, see if this helps. You need diagram 4:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cxw9lks1w7...0Tino.pdf?dl=0

Note - it will only be there for one week!

Chris

Thats very helpful - thank you! The colour makes it a lot easier to
understand. I'm thinking that it would proably be a more sensible gamble to
simply replace the headlight switch and see if that cures it. If not then I
really will have to track down a broken wire, but I think you'll agree a
break in a wire is a bit unlikely, isn't it?

JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 11/12/2015 17:37, JD wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
JD wrote:
[...]

If you are using a digital meter the voltage you are seeing may not be
'power' as such, but a back feed from another circuit. See if the
'power' you are seeing will actually light a bulb.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Mrcheerful , JD wrote:
g.odonnell35 wrote:

the simplest option is to make up a fused flylead that goes from the
powered side of the fuse holder direct to the deadlight, hunt down the
actual fault when the weather is better.

]]

This seems to be my best option. I am thinking of making up a lead with a
crocodile clip at one end, which I clip to the battery positive, then feed
that wire to a new dashboard auxiliary switch and have another wire going
from this switch to the headlight. Is a fuse really necessary for this?

JD

Posted to uk.d-i-y

g.odonnell35 wrote:

the simplest option is to make up a fused flylead that goes from the
powered side of the fuse holder direct to the deadlight, hunt down the
actual fault when the weather is better.

]]

This seems to be my best option. I am thinking of making up a lead with a
crocodile clip at one end, which I clip to the battery positive, then feed
that wire to a new dashboard auxiliary switch and have another wire going
from this switch to the headlight. Is a fuse really necessary for this?

JD

Yes a fuse is essential, use an in line one close to your crocodile
clip, not that I approve of your method of connecting to the battery.
Without a fuse you run the risk of a few meters of glowing red hot wire
- been there and done it, albeit 50 years ago!

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Peter Andrews , JD wrote:
pa wrote:

Yes a fuse is essential, use an in line one close to your crocodile
clip, not that I approve of your method of connecting to the battery.
Without a fuse you run the risk of a few meters of glowing red hot wire
- been there and done it, albeit 50 years ago!
Peter

I agree about the crocodile clip; I securely clamped the wire instead.
Surely, the bulb itself will act as a fuse, won't it? I couldn't find an
inline fuse today, so I wired it up with no fuse. Why would the wire get
red hot?

JD

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pa wrote:

Yes a fuse is essential, use an in line one close to your crocodile
clip, not that I approve of your method of connecting to the battery.
Without a fuse you run the risk of a few meters of glowing red hot
wire - been there and done it, albeit 50 years ago! Peter

I agree about the crocodile clip; I securely clamped the wire instead.
Surely, the bulb itself will act as a fuse, won't it? I couldn't find an
inline fuse today, so I wired it up with no fuse. Why would the wire get
red hot?

Are you a mechanical superhero, incapable of making mistakes?

If so, leave the fuse out.

If you're a normal human being, put one in, because that way when you
accidentally short the wire onto something (not entirely unlikely) the
fuse will blow rather than you ending up with a red hot wire dripping
insulation all over your nice engine bay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pa wrote:

Yes a fuse is essential, use an in line one close to your crocodile
clip, not that I approve of your method of connecting to the battery.
Without a fuse you run the risk of a few meters of glowing red hot
wire - been there and done it, albeit 50 years ago! Peter

I agree about the crocodile clip; I securely clamped the wire instead.
Surely, the bulb itself will act as a fuse, won't it? I couldn't find an
inline fuse today, so I wired it up with no fuse. Why would the wire get
red hot?
JD

A fuse is the 'weak link' in a circuit, it's purpose is to protect the
wiring in the event of a fault. For example, in your case, if you have
an accident and your headlamp assembly is badly damaged such that the
wiring is crushed against the body shell there is a real possibility
that the battery will supply as much current as it can down the damaged
wire which will result in it becoming very (red) hot and melting the
insulation and that of the adjoining cables ultimately catching fire.
The purpose of the fuse, located relatively close to the battery, is to
fail if an excessive amount of current flows therefore stopping further
current flowing and reducing the chance of fire. Please for your own
and your passengers safety fit a fuse, it's not funny being in a car
that catches fire it does very, very quickly become an inferno. Most car
fires are a total loss.

Peter