DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Annoying G9 capsule bulbs (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/387460-annoying-g9-capsule-bulbs.html)

Tim w November 27th 15 09:02 AM

Annoying G9 capsule bulbs

They NEVER connect properly in fittings. They wobble, flicker, go off
and on, burn your fingers when you try to jiggle them. Is there some
trick which the whole world except me knows, to make them sit right and
work?

Tim W

DerbyBorn[_5_] November 27th 15 09:15 AM

Annoying G9 capsule bulbs

Tim W wrote in :

They NEVER connect properly in fittings. They wobble, flicker, go off
and on, burn your fingers when you try to jiggle them. Is there some
trick which the whole world except me knows, to make them sit right and
work?

Tim W

Chances are that arcing has burned the lampholder contacts a little. I have
put a bit of a twist on some of the contacts on my bulbs to make them a
better grip.Do not touch them with your fingers as it will discolour the
glass.

Jeff Layman[_2_] November 27th 15 01:46 PM

Annoying G9 capsule bulbs

On 27/11/15 09:02, Tim W wrote:
They NEVER connect properly in fittings. They wobble, flicker, go off
and on, burn your fingers when you try to jiggle them. Is there some
trick which the whole world except me knows, to make them sit right and
work?

Tim W

Wait until you try to replace a halogen G9 with an LED G9. Now that /is/
a lot of fun, as they are much bigger! Making reliable contact can mean
an awful lot of pushing, pulling, and twisting...

--

Jeff

Mike Tomlinson November 29th 15 11:12 AM

Annoying G9 capsule bulbs

En el artículo , Tim W
escribió:

They NEVER connect properly in fittings.

It's you. There's a knack to fitting them - instead of shoving them in
with all your might, insert gently until you feel it 'click' into place.
Push it in further (which you can do on some sockets), and you'll end up
with a bad contact.

You could try a spray of WD40 on the socket, but make sure the power is
off - dunno if WD40 is conductive but I wouldn't like to try it.

And yes, as another poster said, don't touch the quartz envelope with
your bare hands. Use a tissue or a plastic bag.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!