Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to connect LED tube as replacement for fluorescent.

This afternoon I was after some LED tape with associated bits.
To make the order up for free postage I thought I'd order a couple of T8 led
strip lights.
I looked at the instructions for installing these.
Not very illuminating.
https://www.led-supplies.com/downloa... arranty.pdf/

Last page (p3, right at the end) makes interesting viewing.
This is a supposedly reputable company in Reading, not Beijing.

Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2015 19:25, Nick wrote:
This afternoon I was after some LED tape with associated bits.
To make the order up for free postage I thought I'd order a couple of T8 led
strip lights.
I looked at the instructions for installing these.
Not very illuminating.
https://www.led-supplies.com/downloa... arranty.pdf/

Last page (p3, right at the end) makes interesting viewing.
This is a supposedly reputable company in Reading, not Beijing.

Nick.

Step 3 shows how it should be wired.

You need to remove the starter (if fitted) and the ballast.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
On 07/11/2015 19:25, Nick wrote:
This afternoon I was after some LED tape with associated bits.
To make the order up for free postage I thought I'd order a couple of
T8 led
strip lights.
I looked at the instructions for installing these.
Not very illuminating.
https://www.led-supplies.com/downloa... arranty.pdf/

Last page (p3, right at the end) makes interesting viewing.
This is a supposedly reputable company in Reading, not Beijing.

Nick.

Step 3 shows how it should be wired.

You need to remove the starter (if fitted) and the ballast.

My Aldi ones just give you a special starter (which just has the pins
shorted) it works but it leaves the ballast in circuit which makes the
system slightly less efficient power wise.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Disgraceful instructions! Plainly created by someone with poor English. But, worse, with no editing whatsoever.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sadly this sort of thing is quite common. What often happens is that the
instructions come from a maker, and then selected parts of those get cut and
pasted into the uk ones, often after local translation by a non technical
person.

Its nothing new though is it, many hi fis branded with UK names back in the
last century, did exactly the same thing.
Hence the reference to loopsticks, and tandem phonos that used to make me
wince. There were many more but they have lapsed into my soggy brain.
I do remember one item of Norwegian origin coming with a manual which had
an English front and rea pages, but the rest was all in Norwegian. Even back
then simple checking of things had gone out of the window.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
wrote in message
Disgraceful instructions! Plainly created by someone with poor English.
But, worse, with no editing whatsoever.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"F Murtz" wrote in message
b.com...
Michael Chare wrote:
On 07/11/2015 19:25, Nick wrote:
This afternoon I was after some LED tape with associated bits.
To make the order up for free postage I thought I'd order a couple of
T8 led
strip lights.
I looked at the instructions for installing these.
Not very illuminating.
https://www.led-supplies.com/downloa... arranty.pdf/

Last page (p3, right at the end) makes interesting viewing.
This is a supposedly reputable company in Reading, not Beijing.

Nick.

Step 3 shows how it should be wired.

You need to remove the starter (if fitted) and the ballast.

My Aldi ones just give you a special starter (which just has the pins
shorted) it works but it leaves the ballast in circuit which makes the
system slightly less efficient power wise.

That special starter is actually a fuse and would not work on the the type
of lamp the OP has bought. Your tube has the L&N driver at one end of the
tube (just like the OPs tube) however your tube has the pins on the opposite
end shorted together to complete the circuit - the OPs tube does not have
the pins at the opposite end shorted together, they are electrically
isolated and only serve to hold the lamp into place.

If you look at fig 1 with the inductive ballast you can see how the circuit
is completed by changing the starter for a fuse and that it would not matter
which way around your lamp was inserted.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Nov 2015 09:26:50 -0000, "Brian-Gaff"
wrote:

Sadly this sort of thing is quite common. What often happens is that the
instructions come from a maker, and then selected parts of those get cut and
pasted into the uk ones, often after local translation by a non technical
person.

A test meter I was once given said "Aware not to drop this unit down
the floor or damage will be resulted"

It was right.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter Parry
writes
wrote:

Sadly this sort of thing is quite common. What often happens is that the
instructions come from a maker, and then selected parts of those get cut and
pasted into the uk ones, often after local translation by a non technical
person.

A test meter I was once given said "Aware not to drop this unit down
the floor or damage will be resulted"

It was right.

A light meter I had said "do not wiggle this about or this waggish
behaviour may result in damage".
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
"F Murtz" wrote in message
b.com...
Michael Chare wrote:
On 07/11/2015 19:25, Nick wrote:
This afternoon I was after some LED tape with associated bits.
To make the order up for free postage I thought I'd order a couple of
T8 led
strip lights.
I looked at the instructions for installing these.
Not very illuminating.
https://www.led-supplies.com/downloa... arranty.pdf/

Last page (p3, right at the end) makes interesting viewing.
This is a supposedly reputable company in Reading, not Beijing.

Nick.

Step 3 shows how it should be wired.

You need to remove the starter (if fitted) and the ballast.

My Aldi ones just give you a special starter (which just has the pins
shorted) it works but it leaves the ballast in circuit which makes the
system slightly less efficient power wise.

That special starter is actually a fuse

Some fuse, seems to be .5mm copper(may be some exotic metal but does not
look it.

http://tinypic.com/r/4t0l0p/9

and would not work on the the
type of lamp the OP has bought. Your tube has the L&N driver at one end
of the tube (just like the OPs tube) however your tube has the pins on
the opposite end shorted together to complete the circuit - the OPs tube
does not have the pins at the opposite end shorted together, they are
electrically isolated and only serve to hold the lamp into place.

If you look at fig 1 with the inductive ballast you can see how the
circuit is completed by changing the starter for a fuse and that it
would not matter which way around your lamp was inserted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
ARW wrote:
"F Murtz" wrote in message
b.com...
Michael Chare wrote:
On 07/11/2015 19:25, Nick wrote:
[...]

That is not a fuse:-)

Let's just say that some LED fluorescent manufacturers do supply a fuse and
not just a copper link. The idea being that if a normal fluorescent lamp is
reinstalled then the lamp will not explode.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
ARW wrote:
"F Murtz" wrote in message
b.com...
Michael Chare wrote:
On 07/11/2015 19:25, Nick wrote:
[...]

That is why I said the pins were shorted.

Let's just say that some LED fluorescent manufacturers do supply a fuse
and not just a copper link. The idea being that if a normal fluorescent
lamp is reinstalled then the lamp will not explode.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote:
ARW wrote:
"F Murtz" wrote in message
[...]