Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Algae & Moss removal

I recently put a post up on how best to prepare wooden fence for
re-staining ....... I had tried Sodium Hypochlorite & Lauryl
Dimethylamine Oxide - which was excellent at cleaning my sandstone patio.

However there was concern about bleaching effect on the wood, removal of
colour from existing stain, and how this could effect longevity of new
stain.

Did a lot of Googling around and came across a product recommendation
.... 'West & Forget'
I managed to get a sample to try ..... diluted 5 to 1 ... simply
sprayed it on ... no agitation whatsoever.
All algae dead the nest day ..where it was thin ... simply gone, where
it was thick, what remains is a white powder.

This can be brushed off or it will wash off in teh rain.

Impressed how well this performed. It contains no bleach and has
unlimited shelf life ... as it also works on brick & stone I just
ordered 20L of it ... and will spray my cills, lintols, pillars & copings.
As well as all fence (6000 sq ft) and the patio to stop re-growth.

It seems it is well advertised on the TV shopping channels - I went to
manufacturers web site .. and their price was the same .......... but
importantly there is also a 20% scheme if you recommend someone.
Applies to both party's.

(happy to recommend any of you if you want the 20% off - ping me an
email)

I used that and saved a nice chunk of money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling

On 02/11/2015 19:51, ss wrote:
On 02/11/2015 17:51, rick wrote:
[...]

Anyone checked this out, it would appear the active ingredient is Sodium
Percarbonate , and I quote:

"Sodium Percarbonate Rates Best and Safest Roof Cleaner, Study Says 13

Green Cleaners USA, one of the nations leading distributors of green
cleaning and laundry products, has released the results of an extensive
study and testing of roof cleaning products and cleaning processes.

The algae, mildew, mold, and black streaks that embeds in roofs
everywhere are at best unsightly, but more importantly the presence of
these airborne and environmental contaminates harms the roof. "

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

rick wrote:

Did a lot of Googling around and came across a product recommendation
... 'Wet & Forget'

Anyone checked this out, it would appear the active ingredient is Sodium
Percarbonate

The same active ingredient as the "oxi" stain removal powder for washing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

ss wrote:

rick wrote:

Did a lot of Googling around and came across a product recommendation
... 'Wet & Forget'

Anyone checked this out, it would appear the active ingredient is Sodium
Percarbonate

The same active ingredient as the "oxi" stain removal powder for washing?

Just to report, I tried lightly sprinkling some of the poundshop stuff
onto an area of ground kept clear of weeds by glyphosate, but which then
allows moss and (what I think is a) liverwort to cover the area.

http://wizzproducts.co.uk/wizz-oxi-ultra-plus-powder-fabric-stain-remover

Both had blackened and shrivelled after just a couple of hours, after a
bit of rain to wash it in, both are essentially gone, maybe my ground
will glow under UV light with a special bluey-whiteness, but the moss is
gone ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 10:17:28 PM UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

ss wrote:

rick wrote:

Did a lot of Googling around and came across a product recommendation
... 'Wet & Forget'

Anyone checked this out, it would appear the active ingredient is Sodium
Percarbonate

The same active ingredient as the "oxi" stain removal powder for washing?

Just to report, I tried lightly sprinkling some of the poundshop stuff
onto an area of ground kept clear of weeds by glyphosate, but which then
allows moss and (what I think is a) liverwort to cover the area.

http://wizzproducts.co.uk/wizz-oxi-ultra-plus-powder-fabric-stain-remover

Both had blackened and shrivelled after just a couple of hours, after a
bit of rain to wash it in, both are essentially gone, maybe my ground
will glow under UV light with a special bluey-whiteness, but the moss is
gone ...

Would this be the same

http://www.astonishcleaners.co.uk/pr...stain-remover/

Ingredients listed as